1965 cab refurb!

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Managed to do an extra hour this afternoon

Routed the bottom edges and the piping channels, loads of sanding - filling - sanding - filling tomorrow

Attachments

• 8AE813A6-7E29-4024-9B30-90793707E2DE.jpeg
    8AE813A6-7E29-4024-9B30-90793707E2DE.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 20

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Looking good. Are you going to line it with foam?

Have you already got some Eric Collins material for it? I'm still waiting for mine, it's been almost 12 months since I ordered it...
Yea it’s getting the foam treatment, where do you get yours from? I bought some on eBay and it must have been from the end of a batch/roll as half it was yellow and the other half white!!

I’ve messaged you re pinstripe!

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
This is like one of those YouTube videos where someone finds a dog or cat nearing death from neglect, then showers it with medicine and love in its new forever home.

Love it!
Thanks!!

Maybe more like those videos where someone spends 10 hours restoring an axe that’s worth less than a cup of coffee!

I find this stuff fun, I’m not working at the moment so I get to do ‘fun’ work!!

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Nice work :) I can envision a real nice pinstripe tall stack there !!
Well spotted!

The tall cab behind is actually a summit cab, it’s a butt jointed #1982 clone but 18mm ply instead of 15mm it’s also 1/2 an inch shallower than a Marshall, I’ll probably basket weave that one!

Last edited:

Kutt

Reaction score
Thanks!!

Maybe more like those videos where someone spends 10 hours restoring an axe that’s worth less than a cup of coffee!

I find this stuff fun, I’m not working at the moment so I get to do ‘fun’ work!!
I hear you brother. Last week I bought the combo amp I had back in high school (same model, not the exact physical amp). She needed some TLC (not as much as your cab) but I have enjoyed bringing a luster back to her and strumming like it's 1992 all over again.

Last edited:

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
I hear you brother. Last week I bought the combo amp I had back in high school (same model, not the exact physical amp). She needed some TLC (not as much as your cab) but I have enjoyed bringing a luster back to her and strumming like it's 1992 all over again.
nice! is it a marshall? its nice to get decent gear that you used to own!

Kutt

Reaction score
nice! is it a marshall? its nice to get decent gear that you used to own!
It is not. It's a 90's era teal stripe solid state Peavey and I have to say now that I understand tone I know how to dial it in and it sounds really good.

I sat down recently and wrote out all the gear I had the first few years I started playing. I am in the process of hunting it all down to re-buy it for nostalgia (and sport). I likely will never be able to find the first electric guitar I had, but I think eventually the other handful of stuff will surface if I am vigilant.

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
It is not. It's a 90's era teal stripe solid state Peavey and I have to say now that I understand tone I know how to dial it in and it sounds really good.

I sat down recently and wrote out all the gear I had the first few years I started playing. I am in the process of hunting it all down to re-buy it for nostalgia (and sport). I likely will never be able to find the first electric guitar I had, but I think eventually the other handful of stuff will surface if I am vigilant.
Cool!

That peavey stuff is indestructible!

I like the pebble dash style tolex they used to use as well!

Kutt

Reaction score
Cool!

That peavey stuff is indestructible!

I like the pebble dash style tolex they used to use as well!
It had amp herpes when I got it. Absolutely filthy grungy.

Pulled everything apart short of desoldering parts on the board. Repainted the inside of the cab, the metal corners, and the baffle. Deep cleaned it inside and out including all pots and knobs. The reverb tank was having problems but I think I have it fixed. I love doing this stuff, which is why I love your cab project!

1652918579197.png

1652918599728.png

1652918618938.png

1652918635108.png

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
It had amp herpes when I got it. Absolutely filthy grungy.

Pulled everything apart short of desoldering parts on the board. Repainted the inside of the cab, the metal corners, and the baffle. Deep cleaned it inside and out including all pots and knobs. The reverb tank was having problems but I think I have it fixed. I love doing this stuff, which is why I love your cab project!

View attachment 108144

View attachment 108145

View attachment 108146

View attachment 108147
Very nice!

You can’t beat that feeling of refurbishing something!

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Spent today filling and sanding

One last go over with the filler and then it should be good enough to tolex, I also re-glued the top two joints as they were a little loose!

Attachments

• BA4BEB70-3177-4083-8208-1A70905C2527.jpeg
    BA4BEB70-3177-4083-8208-1A70905C2527.jpeg
    836.1 KB · Views: 17

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
All ready for tolexing!!

filling is my least favourite part of the process! In case anyone’s wondering I use the paint to be able to see if their are any uneven spots in the filler!

Attachments

• 42E76CBD-23CA-4E4E-AB6A-32C512F12F5D.jpeg
    42E76CBD-23CA-4E4E-AB6A-32C512F12F5D.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 22

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
What was the original vinyl? I cannot make the pattern out from the pics.
it was black levant, I was thinking it might have been vynide, but their is some levant left under the aluminium serial tag, not to mention the cab originally had tadpole piping(loads of staples left on the inside), ive not seen any vynide slants with piping but im not an expert by any means!

Last edited:

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Finally started tolexing, Possibly my favourite part of the whole process(that and playing guitar through a finished cabinet)

I did one side last night, I’m really happy That their isn’t an outline from the patched handles showing through the tolex.

If anyone is getting into recovering the only bit of advice I’d give (apart from sharp razors) is to start with the bottom corners first!! Your more likely to mess up the first one compared to the second one, best to have a less than ideal corner cut at floor level..

Attachments

• 1DE83498-9565-4BEF-BF4E-439848A2845A.jpeg
    1DE83498-9565-4BEF-BF4E-439848A2845A.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 21

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally started tolexing, Possibly my favourite part of the whole process(that and playing guitar through a finished cabinet)

I did one side last night, I’m really happy That their isn’t an outline from the patched handles showing through the tolex.

If anyone is getting into recovering the only bit of advice I’d give (apart from sharp razors) is to start with the bottom corners first!! Your more likely to mess up the first one compared to the second one, best to have a less than ideal corner cut at floor level..
Looks good! I see there are a pair of critical eyes inspecting your work.

Latest posts