1960A vs 1960AV - your experienced opinion?

Kutt

Reaction score
OCD...

Ive had several amps with loops and none of them did this, therefore I equate this as an engineering flaw, I dont want to pay this much for a less than perfect amp. And besides, returning this led me to buy the SV20H my first 4 holer and I was blown away, this event would not have happened otherwise, now I'm a complete 4 hole convert! :yesway:

I have always been with pedecamp on tihs one. Haven't had mine updated (yet) as I haven't heard whether or not anything else would be affected, but here are the details. if anyone else wants to go first, let me know how it turns out.

1653567306747.png
1653567324887.png

Attachments

• 1653567275150.png
    1653567275150.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 3

pedecamp

Reaction score
I have always been with pedecamp on tihs one. Haven't had mine updated (yet) as I haven't heard whether or not anything else would be affected, but here are the details. if anyone else wants to go first, let me know how it turns out.

View attachment 108608
View attachment 108609
I get that its not a big deal but I didnt know that 3 years ago when I had my SC20H, I didnt know if it was affecting tone or not. Its too much money tied up for potential problems, when I pay full price for new I expect perfect. If I still had it today, at this point I probably wouldnt fix it since we know its not a real problem. But I am surprised they havent added this engineering change to new amps coming off the assembly line, makes me wonder why, a fix is a fix and should be added!

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
More greetings from the Green Room! ;)

Ah... what the heck. :rofl:I got it for $300 cash. I think they just wanted rid of it. How can anyone deny? It's a 2004 in 9.5 / 10 condition. Has a small rip on the left angle, which I'll do the Crazy Glue / guitar pick fix with. Doesn't even have any dust on it, seems pretty much like new. As far as the tone concerns I had between the G12T-75's and the V30's that I prefer? My assessment is it's 6 of one, 1/2-dozen of the other. The map sounds like itself through either speaker, they're just two different flavors. The 75's are bright, shrill and a bit blurry. But in reality, to focus on that is an overstatement. The cab sounds great, and is MUCH louder and punchier than my 1x12 Orange cab, of course. I figured if I hated it, I could either return it, or sell it for more than I paid.

View attachment 108588
Why do I feel like I always have to apologize for my rugs? Hey - I'm not the one who chooses the décor around here, I should just shut up and be lucky I even HAVE an old couch and a rug, right? :D

Anyway, this was the video that finally put me over the top:

Most excellent!

Crikey

Reaction score
As some of you know, I've recently acquired a Marshall JCM 800 SC20H, 20 watt mini studio head.

I'm currently using it with my Orange PPC112 1x12 cab which has a stock V30 in it. Vintage 30's are my speaker of choice. This setup sounds killer tone-wise, but I am finding that the size of the cabinet may be too small for the power that the SC20H is putting out, even though the speaker is rated much higher than 20 watts (I forget what V20's are rated for, 60 or 75 watts or something?). The cab doesn't seem to handle the "thunder" as well as I'd like.

As you may also know, the price of a new Marshall 4x12 cab has "gone to plaid" as the line in the movie Spaceballs says, meaning "unobtanium". However, I have the opportunity to purchase a used 1960A for $550 in very good, if not excellent, condition.

My question is, can any of you offer your opinion on the difference between the 1960AV (V30-loaded 4x12) vs the 1960A (GT12T-75 loaded 4x12)?

I used to own both, but it's been so long that I don't recall the specific differences. I do remember liking the 1960AV more for its high mid aggressive "cut", but also that the 1960A wasn't bad either, just different.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 108441
Yogurt!?! You heard of me? Lol

Crikey

Reaction score
All you need is a 2x12, but it would be cool to get the 4x12 and put a pair of V30's on one side and 75's on the other side, get a jack from Mojotone so you can plug into one side or the other or both. Look at this:

Will this cab fit in your bathroom?? :scratch:
There is that dreaded word again …”need” .
It should never be uttered in amp forums and rock n roll unless introducing the Kiss song “Love Gun”
As in , You know what she needs!?! The Love Gun

abkeller1

Reaction score
I'd snag that cab immediately. Even if you don't like it and you decide to sell it you probably won't lose a dime and you might very well make a profit on it.

I have a 1960AV and a BV. I'm converting the BV to have all G12T-75's. I like my JCM800 2204 better with G12T-75's than with V30's. Personal preference of course. I'd say the V30's sound more 80's Metal with the 2204, more 90's metal with G12T-75's.

Pretty much everything else (2205, 2500 & 4500) I like better with the V30's.

Don't be afraid to mix speakers too...my 2061CX 2x12 sounds amazing with a V30/G12H Anniversary combo.
Do you hear a difference in tone between the A vs B cab? I had an AV and didn't like it now have a BV and love it.

abkeller1

Reaction score
More greetings from the Green Room! ;)

Ah... what the heck. :rofl:I got it for $300 cash. I think they just wanted rid of it. How can anyone deny? It's a 2004 in 9.5 / 10 condition, 1960A. Has a small rip on the left angle, which I'll do the Crazy Glue / guitar pick fix with. Doesn't even have any dust on it, seems pretty much like new. As far as the tone concerns I had between the G12T-75's and the V30's that I prefer? My assessment is it's 6 of one, 1/2-dozen of the other. The map sounds like itself through either speaker, they're just two different flavors. The 75's are bright, shrill and a bit blurry. But in reality, to focus on that is an overstatement. The cab sounds great, and is MUCH louder and punchier than my 1x12 Orange cab, of course. I figured if I hated it, I could either return it, or sell it for more than I paid.

View attachment 108588
Why do I feel like I always have to apologize for my rugs? Hey - I'm not the one who chooses the décor around here, I should just shut up and be lucky I even HAVE an old couch and a rug, right? :D

Anyway, this was the video that finally put me over the top:

I have the SC20 & play it throught both the G12T-75 & Vintage 30's. I think I like the G12t-75 because it's such a bright amp to start out with. Those G12's need to be loud to get the goods. I like the V-30 better with my 900 SL-X.

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
How’s the cab working out, Vin?
(Didn't see this earlier).

Not a single complaint since I got it. It's a great match to my ear. I've got the treble, presence, and even the mids set pretty low, so I can't imagine trying to tame the top-end on V30's. I like the aggression of the V30's, but I don't think they'd be the best match for this map.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how all of this is subjective—I just picked up a matching A/B 1960 stack from a guy on CL yesterday. I haven’t played through Celestion 75s in years and I actually think they sound pretty damn good. To my ears they aren’t bitey or shrill but I do think they sound very scooped.

Of course I also would NEVER have the treble on a DSL below 2:00 @Vinsanitizer ;)

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny how all of this is subjective—I just picked up a matching A/B 1960 stack from a guy on CL yesterday. I haven’t played through Celestion 75s in years and I actually think they sound pretty damn good. To my ears they aren’t bitey or shrill but I do think they sound very scooped.

Of course I also would NEVER have the treble on a DSL below 2:00 @Vinsanitizer ;)
Double funny, because I've heard people describe V30's as "scooped". Myself, I don't find either the G12 nor the V30 scooped. I think my comparison would be that the the G12 is a great "all things" speaker (suitable for most styles of playing), while V30's are suited for more aggressive sounds (like Mesa Rectifiers, Metallica, modern Metal & amps that aren't very good at cutting though a live mix, etc.).

Ultimately, I'm a fan of both for different applications. The same place I bought my 1960 (listed for $500 used), also had a 1960AV for $800, last week. I saw it one morning on their website, took the day to think about it, so as not to be too 'impulsive', and decided to buy it that evening. Unfortunately, when I checked it one last time before calling them and having them hold it for me until I could get to the store, it was sold. I regret not jumping on it, as those cabs don't come by very often, I could have gotten it for less than the asking price.

In my most recent gigging days, I used one Marshall 1960A with a JVM410H and the sound was pretty good, not stellar because I felt that amp was to bright. I used one Marshall 1960AV, and while I liked the way it cut live, I was fighting to keep the treble down. Personally, I prefer my early days of gigging with Marshalls, because back then I was ignorant and didn't care about any of this... "ignorance is bliss". :D

Nowadays, I'm just happy to have that Marshall "thump" and the rolling sound of thunder in my house again. :)

Last edited: