1960A vs 1960AV - your experienced opinion?

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad its a non-issue and you like the amp, sounds like you may need an attenuator, I've always been happy playing these amps and my 2204 volume 1 for home and an OD pedal for more gain. Enjoy it :yesway:
You can switch the amp from 20 wattsonites down to to 5 wattsonites, but the reality in every amp I've used those power reduction features on, has been essentially the same as just staying in full watt mode and turning down the master 1 notch.

I've looked at attenuators, and I have a hard time justifying $500-$600 just to be able to turn my volume down. Plus, I'm pretty sure using those does nothing useful for me when I consider the fact that the speakers need to get moving, so I think for me it'd be pointless. Sure, you'll be able to get the master up to the sweet spot and push the power tubes, but it still won't sound like a speaker filling out and moving some air.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
You can switch the amp from 20 wattsonites down to to 5 wattsonites, but the reality in every amp I've used those power reduction features on, has been essentially the same as just staying in full watt mode and turning down the master 1 notch.

I've looked at attenuators, and I have a hard time justifying $500-$600 just to be able to turn my volume down. Plus, I'm pretty sure using those does nothing useful for me when I consider the fact that the speakers need to get moving, so I think for me it'd be pointless. Sure, you'll be able to get the master up to the sweet spot and push the power tubes, but it still won't sound like a speaker filling out and moving some air.
So what are you gonna do bust your ears? Play with earplugs? Play only for 5 minutes?

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
So what are you gonna do bust your ears? Play with earplugs? Play only for 5 minutes?
Why, I'm going to quit playing altogether anymore, of course!

^ The point where logic and reality are worlds apart.

EDIT: Sorry, pedecamp, I forgot the real answer. Uhm, so what I'm doing is, when I'm playing for longer times I set the master slightly above 2, and run it in 5 watt mode. That works as well as any other solution. Then, whenever I feel like breaking the speed limit, I'll just crank it in 20w mode for a few.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Yes, the T75 is a scooped speaker with a distinctive cone rasp to it. (K sound) It's not for everybody.

Going from least to most scooped:

G12M25 Greenback (not scooped at all, it pushes the midrange)
G12M65 Creamback (light scoop,increased treble over a Greenback)
G12H75 Creamback (heavier scoop)
G12T75 (heavier scoop than H75 Creamback, but not by a lot.)

I'm not sure how I'd place the V30 in that lineup, having had very little experience wih it, and I no longer own that cabinet.

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
More greetings from the Green Room! ;)

Ah... what the heck. :rofl:I got it for $300 cash. I think they just wanted rid of it. How can anyone deny? It's a 2004 in 9.5 / 10 condition, 1960A. Has a small rip on the left angle, which I'll do the Crazy Glue / guitar pick fix with. Doesn't even have any dust on it, seems pretty much like new. As far as the tone concerns I had between the G12T-75's and the V30's that I prefer? My assessment is it's 6 of one, 1/2-dozen of the other. The map sounds like itself through either speaker, they're just two different flavors. The 75's are bright, shrill and a bit blurry. But in reality, to focus on that is an overstatement. The cab sounds great, and is MUCH louder and punchier than my 1x12 Orange cab, of course. I figured if I hated it, I could either return it, or sell it for more than I paid.

1653515432361.jpeg
Why do I feel like I always have to apologize for my rugs? Hey - I'm not the one who chooses the décor around here, I should just shut up and be lucky I even HAVE an old couch and a rug, right? :D

Anyway, this was the video that finally put me over the top:

Last edited:

XTRXTR

Reaction score
I have the G12 65s in my 1960 cabs.
But aside from that I like the slant as it helps me move around and get a good tone/sustain etc for solos.

Have you priced wood lately, that cab is almost worth the wood prebuilt cab alone. 1.5 inch plywood, actually never measured it but its fat and sturdy.

EDIT: Yeah its 1.5 inch plywood on all my cabs including the 2x12 mini 2556A an B

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
What the heck is that? Gremlin?
I shot it with a Bug-A-Salt gun the other day, and buried it in the back yard. :shrug: Not sure if it's the same one or a different one. I have seen others, green and pink, but not up close.

Last edited:

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when I got my JVM it came with the 1960A, and I REALLY thought I’d be moving it along for a V30 or greenback cab, but… I really really like that 1960. I’ve got no urge for V30 or greenbacks now.

Sounds good with the straight JVM, or using the head to power Fractal FM3 or Helix floor. I see why there’s so many of them.

EDIT: posted before I read page 2, sounds like you got a KILLER deal at 300 smackers. I’d have snatched it at that price also, that’s an easy flip if nothing else.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you like the amp so far? The loop button volume drop doesn't bother you?
Can I ask, in what situation—ever —would this matter even the smallest bit?

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1960/75 cab is an icon. Don’t let forums tell you they suck—as much a part of the lineup as a good V30 and g12h30 cab.

dragonvalve

Reaction score
The Rick Hollis cab A-B clip sounded best combined.

The AV cab was brighter than the A.

Marshalls need 8 speakers it appears. Moves more air. Wonder if Marshall knew what they were doing or just lucked out on the design?

I have a Vox 2x12 cab that I was calling "The Defiant" model cab but it turns out it's an AC-50 after I found out the different cabs' real measurements. The Defiant is smaller. I got the cab after the original coverings/grill cloth were changed. But I knew it was a Vox from the back panels and the tell-tale holes on the sides for the trolley and the rectangular hole between the two 12's for the Midax horn. Seller had no clue. $15 for the cab empty. Cleaned it and recovered it. Didn't go the ideal Vox material.:rolleyes: There's a G12T-75 along with a G12M-70 (both 8Ω to 4Ω for a Bassman head) in the 2x12. Thought the two sounded pleasing together.

If you think wood prices are getting up there transpo/freight charges for a 4x12 cab are going to get ugly.

These Marshall cabs are mainly MDF (mine are at least) with a solid wood brace post. What Marshall decided to use.

Get while the getting is good.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Can I ask, in what situation—ever —would this matter even the smallest bit?
OCD...

Ive had several amps with loops and none of them did this, therefore I equate this as an engineering flaw, I dont want to pay this much for an amp that has something thats not right. And besides, returning it led me to buy the SV20H my first 4 holer and I was blown away! This would not have happened otherwise, now I'm a complete 4 hole convert! :yesway:

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
OCD...

Ive had several amps with loops and none of them did this, therefore I equate this as an engineering flaw, I dont want to pay this much for a less than perfect amp. And besides, returning this led me to buy the SV20H my first 4 holer and I was blown away, this event would not have happened otherwise, now I'm a complete 4 hole convert! :yesway:
Most have @ssholes
Some have more
One can have
As many as 4

Thank you very indeed. Bwaha! :rofl:

Latest posts