1960 cab sounds flat

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by bobbyvasco, Sep 30, 2021.

1. yafal

yafal Member

Don't forget tightening all the speaker's bolts !

2. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

I did....that is the problem...I jsut had my amp serviced and it failed again....

3. dannylerch

dannylerch Member

Okay then do a continuity test with you cab wires to the jackplate. If it carries continuity all the way through, you should be getting voltage. Remove each speaker cone and inspect them to make sure one isn't blown out. I highly doubt it has anything to do with your speaker cabinet. Maybe just bring the head to your local shop or ask a bandmate or friend to try one of their cabinets. If the problem persists, then you know it is the head. I've been playing for 22 years and have never ever had a single problem with any of my cabinets. It's always been something to do with the head, transformer, blown capacitors, or power and preamp tubes.

4. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Do you have access to any other speaker cabinet for further testing? Doing so would immediately rule out 50% of the possible culprits. I am with @Matthews Guitars and lean towards the problem being the amp, not the cabinet.

If you still have the stereo switch on the back of the cab you could also try setting it to 8 ohms Stereo, then plug into the 8 ohm jack on the amp and test each pair of speaker "columns" individually to see if the problem persists across both pairs or not. If it happens on one pair of speakers but not the other we're back to the cabinet being the problem.

5. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Its time to just wire it up using a simple 1/4 jack, series parallel, 16 ohms only, and ditch that the switching jack plate.

Chris-in-LA and mAx___ like this.
  6. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

in the cab it is only possible to use 4 and 16 ohms not 8 ohms
    I will take it to service and the guy will check everything.....

7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It's a later type, stereo capable 1960A cabinet, so in stereo it's 8 ohms on each side. (Each jack) In mono it can be either 4 or 16 ohms. Depends on which jack you use.

Personally I hate those. I have no use for a stereo 4x12 so I make a new back board for the cabinet and install a standard single cup jack for JMP era cabinets. Set it to standard 16 ohm, series-parallel wiring, and forget about it.

You can set your cabinet up for 4 or 16 ohms just by keeping it in mono mode and plugging the speaker cable into the appropriately marked jack. If you want to set up the cabinet to be an 8 ohm load, switch it to stereo and now you have two separate 8 ohm loads in one cabinet, one per jack.

You can use this mode to test the speakers, two at a time. Connect the amp to one speaker jack on the cabinet, test it. Then connect it to the other speaker jack, and test it. If one side sounds a lot different than the other, then you've found a speaker problem. It'll be one or both of the two that sound bad in that channel.

Never assume that just because your amp just got serviced, that it's right or hasn't failed again.

I do some amp repairs. A fair percentage of my repair work is rework of what other techs screwed up.

8. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Other than the JVM "clean" channel cranked up into muddy overdrive, too much reverb, bad room acoustics, a cell phone mic overwhelmed by volume, and maybe some playing technique issues, are y'all really hearing a problem with the amp or cab in that last video?

Keep in mind this is bobbyvasco, the guy who kept complaining his 100 watt amps weren't loud enough even when he put his ear up against the speaker cloth.

To me, the vid sounds like he's got everything dimed in a lively room with lots of hard reflective surfaces. Notice the extreme change in the background buzz as the phone's AGC clamps and unclamps?

Plexi's and JCM's sound great when you push the output tubes, but JVM's get muddy if you dime everything. I think this is more an operator problem than an amp/cab issue.

fitz288 and Gunner64 like this.
  9. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

I'm not sure what is going on, it sounds almost like there is a piece of cloth or paper towel that is touching your top string so it kind of dies. It does the same thing with other guitars, right?

Not sure if what is happening would be called "ghosting" if it is an amp issue.

I hope you get it sorted out.

10. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

I hope you are not mocking me dude.....i think it is not normal that I can have my amp cranked 100 % even in od2 and still want more? 100 w marshalls should be louder than that....how can you play in front of the whole audience room if that happens?

11. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah.
    Even with the shitty format and compression.

If I hadn't known what issue was being reported, I would've assumed the problem was with the guitar.

12. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

it is fender standard

13. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Whatever. Play with everything on 10 then if you must. But be advised you will be servicing and having issues associated with doing so...as you do now. Like driving your car as fast as it can go everytime you get in it, shits going to give.

And Imo a jvm with everything on 10 will sound horrible.

Whether you want to admit it or not 99% of your problems are user error related. And I'm not mocking you dude, just stating the truth.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    fitz288 likes this.
  14. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

Or 4th possibility - you used a flat battery!.....

The OP has confirmed (above) that this was the case.......

15. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Good idea. Those jacks are tricky. It may not be wired correctly. Also, in stereo with one amp, only 2 of the speakers should be working as far as I know. I would wire it as a 16ohm load in mono and verify the impedance with a meter.