1959RR Vs JCM2000 with randy's sound in mind.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by dreyn77, Feb 5, 2016.

1. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1WwNzw7wY4[/ame]

2. dreyn77

is the deep switch ON in that last vid adrian?

it's got some heavy bass tone there. impressive stuff! :)

3. dreyn77

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EjcXmFZQgg[/ame]

this has the massive warm tone effect from those T75's speakers.
    otherwise it could be spoton for a great RR tone if those speakers were different models. ;)

no idea what pickups are in that guitar. :(
    looks like stock edwards pickups.
    there's a pedal in use aswell.

4. dreyn77

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGQpcWx3A8[/ame]

super mid enhanced tone from this vid.

it's in the zone of yngwie malmsteen's tones.

5. dreyn77

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJJCNSVd-U[/ame]

the original.
    straight away you can hear the growl sound of the setup. it's unmistakeable. hard to get as well.
    massive difference to every other youtube clip. just listen to that grind sound. it's all speakers doing that.

6. dreyn77

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS8c0DWqIEI[/ame]

it's even in this Quiet Riot vid. heavy grinding low notes.

7. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

No Dreyn it is out/off.. This is the kind of tone you get when you replace the trannies and add a choke! The additional low frequencies are helped in part with those heavy GK-85 speakers...

What's really cool is that when you do the upgrades the deep switch once engaged makes the amp sound awesome without getting muddy...

Here is a clip of the amp with the deep switch engaged...LOVE IT!

A modded DSL for me is the best Marshall I've ever played through...completely blown away constantly..

https://youtu.be/2p4j0zyPVts

8. Adrian R

Holy crap that is BAD ASS!:shred: Awesome tone...(ah good playing too..lol:D)definitely mid enhanced which is precisely what I chase! The mids are where it's at man...I just don't know why certain geetar players wanna scoop em'..:scratch: Those pickups dude are most likely A5 equipped...it certainly sounds that way...great definition yet warmth..and notice the individual pole positions..I seriously doubt their ceramics...based on those observations anyway...

9. dreyn77

okay great!
    You definitely have a unique sound which stands out in the pack there adrian.

they shure do have a warm sound. I can't believe it's taken me a long time to notice those tones before. I'd listen to the clips but I'd only hear the hot sound and other things, never the tone across the fingerboard of notes.

I would have learned what was happening if they had've putup what they thought their tone actually was for the vids.

when I use to watch that doug aldrich clip I just use to think he was a fast player with a scorching hot sound.
    it's amazing what you can focus on listening too and miss the other stuff which is happening in the sound.

10. dreyn77

Adrian's got some impressive sig photos at the moment.
    are they going onto T shirts for sale too?
    It shouldn't be too difficult to do that for promo work.

I plugged into the DSL amp today and got the scooped sound sorted with the 1960a cab setup.

Yeah I like that scooped sound too. :)
    The amp blasts those speakers and fools them into making very different tone situation. (notice the internet accent speak? ;) )

Once I got the sound up and running it reminded me of a early 80's sound instead of the normal channels late 70's sound type.
    Sort of a diary tone comming from the scooped section on the amp.

I think the amp designer actually knew what he was doing, and knew what the fans actually wanted from their 'new at the time' amp purchase.

what made the sound different to a diary type of sound was what the amp is made from. how it's built to make sound.
    it was a minor sound difference and not worth worry about.

It seemed i was able to get the appearance of more gain from the scooped section in crunch mode.

To me, the JCM2000 with the 1960 cab setup is a good deal. :)

with the scooped tone in action I was able to get more bite out of the bass notes and some more larger treble notes as well. which is something that I was looking to achieve from that section of the amp.
    it delivered as promissed. ;) a great product.

11. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

Every time I see a Randy Rhodes clip I want to quit guitar. Yes, I know my style is vastly different...but still...

Ken

12. Adrian R

I hear ya Ken...and then to make matters worst...is when you see a 12 year old kid NAIL it! :lol::lol:

One must NEVER, ever forget humility...:D

13. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

and that's the crux of it-someday that kid will be 30-40-50 & some 12 year old will come along & burn him too.:lol:

14. dreyn77

I don't see it as over playing.
    I have experienced that with lots of those fingerburn guitarists.

I'm not experiencing the 'give up' mindset when I hear randy's work.
    no way, infact I experience the opposite.
    His musical knowledge really enhances the playing experience and makes you want more music.
    When I hear the sound of the gear it makes me want to play for double or triple the time.

being able to play the music as he played it, takes his experience level as well. that's randy's life. so don't expect to get that part or get it real quickly.
    that's being unreasonable. that's being perfectionist.

find the chords. try and experience some of the playing style from a section of the music. work at it, year after year.
    it's FUN!

I still marvel at the guys ability today.

If you can copy Buster Keaton then GREAT! but don't set yourself up to fail in doing that task.
    the guy was a grand master.

just admire the other person's skill like the samurai from the movie seven samurai.
    that guy studied his opponents and admired them for what they'd learned over the years. then had the idea for what he could learn from them and add it to his own style.

15. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

Because of RR I learned some finger tapping and harmonic stuff to enhance my playing, but the sheer talent and originality of RR can be intimidating. It was intimidating to even top professionals when he first came out.

But then I play my songs and I'm happy again. I don't want to be a RR, Slash, Page etc. clone; I just steal whatever I can from them and make it my own. Just like they did from those who came before.

Ken

16. dreyn77

maybe tomorrow I will compare the difference in pickup sound from the JCM2000 amp.
    just to hear how different the G12 T75 speakers will sound in EQ tone. ;)

I definitely have a mind image of a much bigger sound which comes out of a 100 watt amp. it's a BIG scale type of sound image from that equipement.

It's amazing how warm those 75's speakers actually sound.

the classic lead speaker seems like a winner speaker too!

17. dreyn77

So yesturday turned into today and this means I've some more info to report to the marshall forum. :)

Oh yes the JCM 2000 rocked today!
    gee wizz! it was impressive.

a few things which I discovered today were; the amp makes a different sound in both clean/crunch modes as well as lead 1/2 when you switch from lead 1 to lead 2.
    so the amp makes 2 different sets of sounds. not just the scooped or not scooped sounds.
    it's making 2 different sets of gain sounds.
    so if you're in crunch mode and you push the switch to change lead 1 or 2, you'll hear crunch mode has 2 different sounds.

the lead channels are only suppose to make a sound which is tuned to sit above the tone of the crunch mode sound.
    So if you play a note in crunch mode and switch over to the lead channel and play the same note you're gonna hear the lead channel note as sitting higher up the tone register than the crunch note plays at.

the amp will radically change sound depending on what pickups you play. this includes distortion sounds.
    some pickups will make notes which could seem 'muddy/dull' while other pickups might make sounds which are cutting and nasty.
    pickup selection controls how 'classic' the amp setup will sound like.

both scooped and non scooped settings are radically effected by pickup choice.

to scoop or not to scoop that is a question.
    basicly they're two different EQ sounds. they both have benefits and they can react very differently to pickups.

I was using the deep switch function and maxing out all settings accept for presence which was set to halfway for todays pickup testing.
    with some pickups the bass notes got a little burry/ muddy with the NON scooped setting, but when I used the scooped setting that muddyness disappeared completely.

pickup choice got rid of that muddyness too from the super warm non scooped sound.

the reverb added some slight brightness to the notes when compared to the sound without reverb.

IT's definitely NOT a 1 hot sound amp design. NO! it's a crunchy distortion sound WITH the hot easily heard sound for the solo situations.

crunch mode gets real hot when you use the scooped sound and lead 2 is selected and custom pickup choice in the guitar.
    I was able to make lead 1 sound like studio quiet riot and lead 2 sound like QR laughing gas LIVE. no problems.

If you're complaining about compression, then you've missed the fact it's a 2 channel amp and that's just the soloing sound which should sound similar to the solo sound of say randy's laughing gas soloing sound, and not the main sound.

If you're complaining about 'muddy/ blurry' notes then it's your pickup selection which is causeing that situation. those notes are fine, it's just the fact that you don't like them.
    Another pickup choice will blow those notes out of the amp and you'll get the bite you're after with this amp.

SO, in conclusion the amp is perfectly designed and well made and makes any sound you'd like as long as it's warm marshall and scooped marshall sound.

The perceived problems with the amp are solely due to user error and that mostly consists of lack of product knowledge/experience in operating product.

Those G12T75 speakers need to cope with 2 vastly different amp EQ sound types. That's why they're different sounding from other speakers. mainly because that scooped sound, needs to seem like it's very different.

The amp is fine.

18. dreyn77

I've been thinkin about what this dual super lead amp can do all night. it's really amazing!

it's incredible how they can take this amps concept and apply it to the greenback speaker product and invent the Vintage Modern amp.
    it's really 4 different amps with the switchable lead sound included, and reverb on/off.

Those 900 amps must sound warmish with the G12 T75 speakers inplace.
    :) great product.

19. krunchy

krunchy New Member

I don't think I've ever read so much poppycock in one thread, ever.:scratch:

20. Len

Len Well-Known Member

That's what you want your first post to be? Please explain what info in the thread is poppycock.