1936 vs 1960

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by giblesp, Oct 4, 2020.

1. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Hello all,

So I am a new owner of a 1936, but have recently seen a 1960 at a good price. Now I know a 4by12 will have more projection and therefore could be perceived as louder.

What about the actual tone? IS a 1936 just a 2 speaker version of the 1960 with exactly the same tone, or is there a valid reason that some prefer the 1960, other than projection?

The look of the 4by12 is THE look, but if its really not going to sound any different at low volumes, it wouldn't be practical for me.

The 2by12 is going to be easier to haul around, and I don't really need to go beyond drummer level. As I mainly play by myself right now, I'm practicing art conversational level.

But, if the 1960 is going to sound better it would have me playing more.

If owners of both the 1936 and 1960 could comment, that would be much appreciated.

2. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

You know the ONLY MARSHALL FORUM APPROVED ANSWER is BOTH! Otherwise your standing on this forum and ability to retain your man card are in grave jeopardy. :ohno:

The other thing to examine is what speakers are in the 1960? The least expensive used cabs tend to have the G12T-75 speakers and these are loved by some and not by others. The other common speakers are the Greenbacks and the V30's - typically selling for more. The only way to know is to play through it with your gear at all the volumes you plan to play to see it you like the speakers or not.

I've had numerous versions of both. If I had to pick one it would be the 1960 B [straight] as I've demoed them against the A version and prefer the overall tone with Greenbacks - probably confirmation bias on my part - at any volume. The 1960 seems to sound more complex with the four speakers [all the same model] bashing each other about inside the box. I use them more at home than the 1936s or my 1x12 cabs.

I tend to choose which cab based on the 'venue' or overall volume - jams with my mom generally get 1x12's as we're playing blues at piano volume - old lady not Jerry Lee. When I have access to 18,000 square feet both of the 1960's come out to play as it's going to be loud. Jams with deaf old Marshall dudes I will generally bring several of differing sizes - good to own a truck - to see which one suits me that day. Or how manly I'm feeling that day.

Russ

giblesp and Lance Chambers like this.
  3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

2x12 for practice; 4x12 for loud practice.

I hope that helps. :D

:drunk:

Mames Jarshall and giblesp like this.
  4. giblesp

So a 2by12 and 4by12 at lower volumes with the same speakers, will not sound 'different,' as such?

5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

1960 is twice the cab... :)...

Bluesrock and giblesp like this.
  6. Dogs of Doom

they will sound different.

The 2x12 sounds more boxy, under more conditions. That said, you should be able to get good sounds either way. It's just whatever works best for you. If room isn't an issue, I'd prefer the 4x12. If room is, then use the 2x12...

giblesp and Lance Chambers like this.
  7. Lance Chambers

Definitely different......in a good way! They have different speakers in them.

There are varying models also. :hmm:

giblesp likes this.
  8. giblesp

Only way is to try them side by side really!

However, budget is a concern. If a 4by12 was going to increase my tone drastically, I'd do it. Get the feeling it wont though.

9. Lance Chambers

FWIW: All of my cabs (5 Marshalls and 1 Bugera) are 4x12's except my Fender combo.

:cheers:

giblesp likes this.
  10. giblesp

Bad News favor a 4by12. That should be taken into consideration.

11. giblesp

What I'm missing with the 1936, is a bit of clarity. Not quite muddy, but going in that direction. Now I've only got my Kemper running through Adams monitors to compare to. And its going to sound and respond very differently. Especially as I've tweaked the Kemper for recording, not live playing. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully appreciating a proper tube amp in the house. The response and dynamic feel the Kemper can't reproduce.

If that's just the way it goes with a 'real,' setup then its not a problem. But I can't help wondering if a 4by12 would solve that issue, or simply be a louder version of the 1936.

12. Dogs of Doom

the Kemper, into studio monitors, will never sound like a amp/cab direct. It will sound more like putting a mic up to the speaker cab & listening through a sound system. It will do that really well, but, it will not sound like the raw cab in the room.

When I run mine, I run the Kemper xlr out simulated, into the interface/monitors & run a direct monitor out unsimulated into my Marshall EL34 50/50, into a 1x12 loaded w/ H30 (55hz).

My 1x12 is an oversized single (AVT112), which probably has 30% more interior size, than the 1912 cab.

It could sound better, if I played it through my 1960, but, I get a lot of fill in, w/ the studio monitors in the room, including sub. I don't need the thump, but, if I want, I can plug into a 1960...

giblesp likes this.
  13. giblesp

Maybe this would be a better way to ask;

Would a 4by12 with the same speakers, have increased clarity over a 2by12 with the same speakers and at about the same volume?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  14. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

Yes - absolutely!

A 4x12 has more bass, openness and clarity. It's just a better sound. Loudness has nothing to do with it! I practice at home though a vintage 4 x 12 cab at a low to medium volume, and it sounds great!

I use my other (1960AV) cab for gigs. I only use 2 x 12 Cabs when I can't avoid it due to exceptionally small venues or transport issues....

giblesp likes this.