1936 cab, imperfections?

giblesp

Reaction score
So my 1936 cabinet arrived. It was purchased B stock, but advertised as mint condition. The grill cloth seems to be a bit out of line, the metal '1936,' label is coming off. Been sitting round the shop for a few years, apart from that its fine with no marks. Got £50 off normal retail. 120289519_700130343914864_3769950331307167682_n.jpg 120299275_705944160015652_8965014702629371552_n(1).jpg

Easy enough to completely take off the label, and stick it back on? If so, that's not a problem. The grill cloth however, I can't do much about. Is this a deal breaker, or to be expected?

The sound is good so far, so I reckon I've got the cab for me now.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So my 1936 cabinet arrived. It was purchased B stock, but advertised as mint condition. The grill cloth seems to be a bit out of line, the metal '1936,' label is coming off. Been sitting round the shop for a few years, apart from that its fine with no marks. Got £50 off normal retail. View attachment 79940 View attachment 79941

Easy enough to completely take off the label, and stick it back on? If so, that's not a problem. The grill cloth however, I can't do much about. Is this a deal breaker, or to be expected?

The sound is good so far, so I reckon I've got the cab for me now.
Is the cab all MDF or ply?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
You got a deal on it. I wouldn't worry about it. If it really bugs you, you can carefully remove the badge, straighten it, and put it back on. The grill cloth can be replaced and put on straight if you want. Is it UK made or Vietnamese? I would expect the grille cloth to be lined up correctly if it was UK made but if it's Vietnamese, you get what you get.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Crank it, gig the piss out of it (if that ever starts happening again), and when it's completely tattered sell up. It'll do the job.
It came w V30's or T75's?

giblesp

Reaction score
You got a deal on it. I wouldn't worry about it. If it really bugs you, you can carefully remove the badge, straighten it, and put it back on. The grill cloth can be replaced and put on straight if you want. Is it UK made or Vietnamese? I would expect the grille cloth to be lined up correctly if it was UK made but if it's Vietnamese, you get what you get.

No, its made in England. Looking at my DSL 401, the grill cloth also isn't straight. Same with the cloth on my JVM head. Less straight on the cab though.

Also, the grille cloth needs a clean. I've tried vacuuming but it hasn't really shifted much.

The cab is clearly in good condition, but also has been sitting around the shop floor for a long time. The shop were forthcoming about that. Tolex is pretty much mint.

giblesp

Reaction score
Crank it, gig the piss out of it (if that ever starts happening again), and when it's completely tattered sell up. It'll do the job.
It came w V30's or T75's?

It's a 2015, so pretty sure its T75's. As I said on anothe rthread, good sound. More definition than the Greenbacks in a Palmer cab I currently have, maybe a little less warmth. Would love to try a 1936 with Greenbacks, but that would be more cash and I've had to go for the cheapest option. Which has proved a pretty good option.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I personally never take the discounts. 50 bucks is gone in gas tank while the errors are permanent. Wouldn't worry about it but I'd think twice next time.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
It's a 2015, so pretty sure its T75's. As I said on anothe rthread, good sound. More definition than the Greenbacks in a Palmer cab I currently have, maybe a little less warmth. Would love to try a 1936 with Greenbacks, but that would be more cash and I've had to go for the cheapest option. Which has proved a pretty good option.

I bought a basically mint 1936 mdf cab w t75's. It sounded decent (I thought). then I snagged some dead mint Marshall branded Vintage 30's and threw em in there. Major improvement. Then I saw a deal for a Mojotone 1936 style on their eBay store. Got it, threw the V30s in there, and realized how terrible the MDF cab w T75s sounded-totally muddy and lifeless. Literally like a wet moving blanket over the whole thing. I'm glad you got a plywood one.

I know the Mojo cab will never really have any collector value and doesn't have a Marshall logo on it but it sounds tits and its built like a tank. I'm actually thinking of getting another one and splurging on some vintage Greenback or Blackbacks to put in it, as I've built a couple lower watt amps. But the business I'm in is tanking and I might be on the dole again.

giblesp

Reaction score
I personally never take the discounts. 50 bucks is gone in gas tank while the errors are permanent. Wouldn't worry about it but I'd think twice next time.

Know what you're saying, but for about 70USD I just need to glue the label and clean the grille. That's worth it, if I can do both ok.

giblesp

Reaction score
I bought a basically mint 1936 mdf cab w t75's. It sounded decent (I thought). then I snagged some dead mint Marshall branded Vintage 30's and threw em in there. Major improvement. Then I saw a deal for a Mojotone 1936 style on their eBay store. Got it, threw the V30s in there, and realized how terrible the MDF cab w T75s sounded-totally muddy and lifeless. Literally like a wet moving blanket over the whole thing. I'm glad you got a plywood one.

I know the Mojo cab will never really have any collector value and doesn't have a Marshall logo on it but it sounds tits and its built like a tank. I'm actually thinking of getting another one and splurging on some vintage Greenback or Blackbacks to put in it, as I've built a couple lower watt amps. But the business I'm in is tanking and I might be on the dole again.

I would have rather got a custom made cab from Zilla, but that would cost around £550. At £325 the 1936 I got is the cheapest 'good,' newish cab going made of ply. Gives me a chance to learn cabs, so when I get a custom one built I know what I'm looking for. It sounds great though, might not need another one for now. Maybe a 4 by 12 when I get another band going, but this head and cab gets bloody loud.

Always ply for me. The Palmer is actually particle board and an mdf baffle, but there is a noticeable difference in resonance. Could be the speakers as well. Glad I went the head/cab route instead of a combo, the cab makes a massive difference.

Latest posts