1936 Cab History and Review...

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by soundboy57, Feb 23, 2013.

1. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

I copied this from another forum, and thought it was right on...and very
    informative.
    I own both styles of the JCM800 1936 plywood cabs, and have owned the JCM900 versions, and I concur with this observation:

I've gone through six 1936 cabs and done multiple side-by-side comparisons using the same set of speakers. I find the earliest version of the 1936 cabs to be the most toneful - although these are JCM800 era, this first version was the exact same size as a 70s Marshall 2x12 combo and is all plywood construction (some even had plywood backs) and sounds great. Marshall changed the dimensions of the JCM800 1936 cabs in the 80s to the current specs and changed from one handle on top to two handles - one on either side. When Marshall moved into the JCM900 years, they changed the 1936 cabs to all particle board construction which I feel hurt the tonality of these cabs.

I've preached about the differences in these cabs in the past but in many comparisons, here's what I find to be the tone differences:

First version JCM800 1936 - to me, these have the most balanced tone with the most present and lively mids. Good low end that is clear and musical. Highs are smoother than JCM900 version.

Second version (current dimensions) JCM800 - Still nice mids. The lows are extended and more present and still musical. The highs are relatively unchanged.

JCM900 version (particle board) - The lows are even more extended but become a bit boomy and less musical - more thump, less articulation. The mids become a bit sterile sounding and are less present. The highs move more towards harshness.

Dogs of Doom and 79 2203 like this.
  2. EpicFlyingDude

EpicFlyingDude New Member

Right on, I had the exact same experience with the 1936 cabs.
    I heard they went back to plywood construction in 2012?

3. zenfly

zenfly Well-Known Member

I want to thank you again for getting the dimensions for the 2x12 2045.. I'm going to guess it's the predecessor to the 800 cabs..

Have you ever compared the 2045 you had to the 1936 before you sold it ?

4. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I've only owned the first 2 styles but agree with your general impressions. I had an original (thin) 1936. I found the top handle inconvenient for head placement and wished it had more low end (I play mostly Strats). But, overall it was a good sounding cab. When the new style came out, I bought one pretty quick and definitely appreciated the extended low end, side handles and skid trays on top. I sold the original (but I know who still has it). I put the deep one in a road case and while it's seen a ton of gigs, it's still in great shape. Currently has WGS speakers in it:
    [​IMG]

5. soundboy57

I have never had a 2045 cab, just the early 800 cab, same dimensions...within 1/2 inch, depending on the year, I suppose.

I did read a quote somewhere, that said:

"The plywood 1936 cabs are the only cab that make G12T 75's sound great".

I don't know about that, but two of mine have original 75's, and they do sound damn good, in that cab...

6. sam marshall

sam marshall Well-Known Member

Looking at one of these localy waiting on a responce if it the 900 series.

They want $250.00 for it

7. sam marshall

sam marshall Well-Known Member

looks to be a 2005 model does any one know if its made of ply wood or not?

8. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

I have one of the early, thinner 800 series 1936 cabs, dated 1981. It has G12-65's. This cab sounds OK but not great with my Artist 3203 or Class 5, but both of those heads seem to be optimized for cabs with 10 inch speakers. The 1936 did sound killer as a matching extension cab for my 2104 JMP combo, since sold.

I'm sure there's a lesson here. Like, maybe I need to get a JMP or 800 head for it....:hmm:

9. Salsg

Salsg Well-Known Member

That is on par with my findings except for the very early cabs which I havent played thru yet.
    I just got an 800 era 1936 made of plywood and its sounds damn good. The particle board 1936 I had before sounded terrible.

soundboy57 likes this.
  10. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

i wonder if this is true as well.

11. Australian

Australian Green Beret___TRIPLE PLUTONIUM SUPPORTING MEMBER VIP Member

I own two ply 1936 cabs. Theyre not as bassy as the MDF ones, but crisp and true to what I expect of a cab tonally.
    I've had a few MDF ones (3) and : the one with V30's sounded good; One with 75's I didnt care for much; another with 75's sounded best. So it might be the luck of the draw with the newer MDF ones.

12. soundboy57

Resurrecting an old thread...
    This 1936 cab from 1976-77 just showed up on a local craigslist ad...
    Interesting!
    Later 1980's style 12" depth, different handles, small 9" logo.
    I have had two early 80's 1936's, with the shallow 9" depth, and
    handle on top....and many of the later "current style" cabs, from the mid 80's on up.
    Must be pretty rare, and looking at the original serial tag, it isn't
    a mock up.
    It has newer V30's in it.
    Just find it interesting. Must have been a low seller, and cancelled early on.
    Only ever seen one other....now listed on Ebay.
    1977 1936 front.jpg

1977 1936 front 2.jpg

1977 1936 tag.jpg

13. Blueslicks

Blueslicks Well-Known Member

Woulda been my thread...forum member JCarno posted pics of his cab and I had added another craigs listing after the ebay pics so theoretically you've seen 4 now...

http://www.marshallforum.com/cabinets-speakers/52255-interesting-vintage-1936-a.html

Very cool though. As you've said, that looks to be like the ones on the other thread. "A" serial, Levant tolex and the Bakelite input jack plate. Would like to see the interior as that other one that's been on ebay for ages doesn't show much of the inside. Either way, it looks to be in tremendous shape. I wonder what speakers were original to that model and if the design was more an early experiment directed towards accomodating Bass?

And what's he asking price wise?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  14. soundboy57

I assume they would have had blackbacks like the 4x12's of the era.
    $2300 for the head and cab is optimistic, I would say.
    The cab, with non original speakers is maybe a $400 cab, IME.
    The head $1200.
    Here's the CL link:

1976-77 Marshall JMP Master MK2 Lead 50w & 1936 2x12 Cab

15. Blueslicks

Thanks man, yeah that's a bit on the overpriced side...cool cab though and in really nice condition.

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I built my cab out of ply to the 1936 spec and my G12T-75's sound great. I also have a MDF cab and I agree it doesnt sound so great, loses any brightness you would want in your tone.

17. Blueslicks

Agree totally. Can't stand the MDF for what I do but I can appreciate it's stale response actually benefits some styles of music. Just not my own.

That said...I heard/read rumors the past few years that Marshall had reverted back to ply on the 1936. I myself had briefly rented a 2011 model and it was definitely 100% MDF. However I would imagine there would have been a significant amount of produced/shipped MDF numbers to liquidate from stores prior to any noticeable introduction back to ply. Especially in regards to those many MDF models already parked in stores and warehouses across North America.

I remember reading this (supposed) Marshall employee's post on the VMF...

"For years we made the 1936 with MDF but recently we reverted back to ply construction."

The Marshall Roadhouse

I also remember some people suggesting only in England were the newer ply ones being sold.

Having never seen inside a new one other than the 90's one I owned for a short time and the one I mentioned I'd rented that was itself a 2011; my curiosity is now fully piqued since coming across this recent ebay sale...

100 Mint Marshall 1936 Speaker Guitar Amp Cabinet 2x12 | eBay

That looks to be a plywood baffle. I wonder about the rest of the cab.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  18. AbelsKeepeR

AbelsKeepeR New Member

About 2 months ago before recently getting a JCM 800 2x12 cab, I had JCM 900 2x12, and I thought it sounded great, especially playing drop d, mid scooped songs. I hope the guy I traded it to for an older 50 watt Jcm 2000 dsl head, and 4x12 cab, decides he doesn't like it, and sells it back to me, lol. But I do like the old 800 cab I just got. Just wish I still had my old 800 head too. :(

19. marshall1967

marshall1967 Active Member

This is it "luck of the draw",,with all amps and cabs. you sometimes nail it first time, other times you sort through things until you find it. also some speakers sound like shit in some cabs and then good in others :)

soundboy57 likes this.
  20. Blueslicks

Well this is a historic moment to those of us who are fans of these cabs.

Somewhat of a bummer to those who thought they were holding value in the old 800 models.

They now appear to be all ply including the back panel...

http://www.marshallforum.com/cabinets-speakers/65431-my-new-1936-all-plywood.html

Perhaps the MDF version will now gain its own notoriety as a vintage detuned metal players "rare find".