18 Watt lite

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Marcell, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Marcell

Marcell Active Member

Is this a good beginner ampproject? Looks easy. Parts are not that expensive.

Attached Files:

2. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    May I suggest the split cathode (cascaded with TMB) it is a fantastic little amp note the tweakers table too:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can build with or without a tube rectifier.

4. Marcell

Marcell Active Member

I was thinking both rectifiers.. tube and diode. On off On toggleswitch. Just playing with the options.

5. neikeel

I did a ptp version recently in an old Elpico amp. Perfect as it had two EL84s an EZ81 and two ECC83s. I made mine with the RS EL84 OT and hi/lo input jacks. It has TMB as per the diagram. I used 100k plates and 820R on v1 cathode - it does not need any more gain or crunch IMO.
    Amazes me how much gain you can get with just two triodes and a cathode follower and a pi.

6. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

I'm just getting started researching the 18 watt amps but found this and thought you might find it useful. I didn't even know what the Lite II was until you posted this and then I found the link below
    https://www.18watt.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24431

Marcell likes this.
  7. neikeel

I've been on 18w a long time but rarely go there, some decent people there although some odd things happened a while ago, there was a slightly paranoid feel at the time. Seems ok now.
    I found the proper schem.
    This sounds like a Marshall with lots of oomph on tap. This has classical 2k7/0.68uF with 100k plate and 0.01uF with 500pF/470k treble peaker. As I said my inputs have hi and lo (like a 2203/2204).
    If you are after a simple 18w I cannot recommend it too highly.
    [​IMG]

8. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The schematic looks a lot like a 2204 with the cathode Follower removed . You need a wire lay out to build this . If I would build this I would use the 2204 preamp with the el 84 power tubes. Not all schematics online are proven you want stuff that has Ben built by amp builders

9. neikeel

[​IMG]
    Although not paint by numbers this gives you the basic layout. If you build it I can give you specific tweaks that I made that all gel. Failing that I can write out a full schem.

I've built it and it works well. Take a look. The cathode follower tone stack is there!
    Admittedly I had very little space so went PTP. I'll post some pics when I have time at the weekend. Maybe even some clips:hmm:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  10. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

It is a nice And easy high gain circuit to build . El84S are A great sounding tube when over driven . It is good you have a wire layout To go with the schematic . The whole Thing is close to a 2204 .