12” combo cabinet upgrade for a model 5002 Lead 20

ashtone

Reaction score
D585FDB7-7F48-42D8-AF7D-7019B2577047.jpeg
I love these 5002’s; I’ve bought 6 of them over the years.
I wanted to build a 12” V30 version, and found this Mojotone cabinet on eBay.
0BF8AD80-C18C-41CE-8FE1-A34EAE45661F.jpeg
I had to drill for the chassis mounting screws, but that’s the only modification that was necessary to mount the chassis. The control panel cutout was already the correct size
0811AA8F-027C-402D-9865-3F8B8D5F83E4.jpeg
This really opened up the amp, and it has a lot more volume and body.
These things are pretty inexpensive and a bit easier to find than the Lead 12’s, which I attribute to the Billy Gibbons connection from years ago.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 105777
I love these 5002’s; I’ve bought 6 of them over the years.
I wanted to build a 12” V30 version, and found this Mojotone cabinet on eBay.
View attachment 105776
I had to drill for the chassis mounting screws, but that’s the only modification that was necessary to mount the chassis. The control panel cutout was already the correct size
View attachment 105778
This really opened up the amp, and it has a lot more volume and body.
These things are pretty inexpensive and a bit easier to find than the Lead 12’s, which I attribute to the Billy Gibbons connection from years ago.
Looks awesome!
:yesway::yesway::yesway:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have one. The chassis is 17 and 1/2 inches wide, which is the same basic size as a 50 watt Marshall like a 1987 or 2204. So....it'll fit in whatever box will fit a 50 watt chassis. That gives you all kinds of options.

I can make reproduction front panels for Lead 20s. I made one for my own amp.

ashtone

Reaction score
I have one. The chassis is 17 and 1/2 inches wide, which is the same basic size as a 50 watt Marshall like a 1987 or 2204. So....it'll fit in whatever box will fit a 50 watt chassis. That gives you all kinds of options.

I can make reproduction front panels for Lead 20s. I made one for my own amp.
Which style did you make? The plastic one or the brushed aluminum?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It'd be fun to build an 18 watt circuit in a chassis that size. Use one of my panels for it and set a few people's minds on fire.

"?? I didn't know they made a tube version of that?"

ashtone

Reaction score
Brushed aluminum. I've only JUST gotten started with plexi panels which have turned out to be more of a challenge than I first expected.
Cool! The Lead 20’s I have with the “plexiglass” panel is more like a thin gold plastic sticker. Consequently I prefer the brushed aluminum look. But if you are making actual silk screened gold plexiglass panels, damn!! That is something I’d definitely purchase! It’d look very nice!

ashtone

Reaction score
It'd be fun to build an 18 watt circuit in a chassis that size. Use one of my panels for it and set a few people's minds on fire.

"?? I didn't know they made a tube version of that?"
Would that need to be a top rear mounted control panel? In order to have the control panel on the front like it is now, the tubes would have to be hanging down fender style. Maybe that’s not a problem…unless the speaker is in the way.
Now you’ve set me thinking…

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If you're making it from a new chassis, you make it the way you want.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with hanging the chassis in the top and letting the tubes hang down, Fender style. For a combo I think it looks better and makes more sense than Marshall's way of hanging a tube chassis sideways with the panel on the top of the amp. (Not a fan of the old Tweed Bassman that shares that same layout, incidentally.)

Have you ever noticed that the Lead 12 combo and head versions have different chassis? In the head, the chassis is on the bottom, and in the combo, it's on top, and this changes where the cabinet bolt attach points are. The chassis pans are literally upside down, one compared to the other.

I think this has to hold true for other Marshall solid state amps that were offered in both combo and head versions, that is, if there are any.

I think my Lead 20 would be cute as a head. When I get my garage cleaned up to the point I can make something in it, that might happen.

As for speaker to tube interference, you can avoid that by careful placement of the speaker or just putting it an inch or two down lower in the cabinet. Or use a speaker with a smaller magnet. (Neo creamback, maybe...)

Latest posts