“Snorkler” Mod By David Hopkins ♫

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by NewReligion, Nov 24, 2020.

1. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Here is the link to Ronnie Champagne’s original post concerning the “Snorkler”

http://thermionic-studios.com/node/19

This is my personal JMP I experiment on. I own and have access to enough data to get it in the ball park as no two amps are alike especially when trying to nail a recorded tone.

Keep in mind this is a Phone recording and not a SM57 studio manipulated recording. I am sure placing a SM57 in front of the speaker and mixing would produce a closer audio representation our ears are familiar with.

The amp is very versatile when using the custom tone stack & resonance controls.

Cab is Vintage 30 loaded which are a bit darker but can be compensated.

Loop not installed at the moment.

It was important to me to not allow the attack to be too mushy, but retain bite for detailed double stops and fast articulation when soloing if desired.

Thoughts?

David ♫

EDIT: Useful data that I should have posted here in the OP:

Hello clutch 71. Yes I too am very aware of the history of the actual "Snorkler". There are a few guys that actually offer what they say is the "Snorkler" mod. They may in fact know what I know or even more detail. IMO their mods sound great to my ear.

This is my personal amp.

Brian of BFG gets real close in the studio. We can hear the mushiness of the tone.

Eddy Lenz also gets there.

NOTE 1: I am not stating I nailed the exact mod but I applied my data from a few sources. Keep in mind that mic technique and speaker cab's in addition to settings are relevant. I had a lot of room to turn up the Treble & Presence. Regardless no two amps are going to sound identical especially with so many factors.

1.) Bellow is an actual Reinhold Bogner “blue board” which actually has his initials on the back. I have additional photo's to confirm a circuit which I own sold as a "One Off Cantrell" from Mark Cameron. It is easy to understand the preamp section from this data. However the Power section & NFB circuit came from alternate sources.

Mark finished a amp with the same blue board that his room mate Jason owns. Jason stated he found it on eBay in Bogner's Germany hometown. Though not working, after 3 years Mark finally had it up and cranking.

[​IMG]

2.) There is a Bogner Certified and Signed "Snorkler" on a 1983 Canadian 2204 for sale on Reverb at the moment. This is the same year and Canadian but as a head model as the Genuine "Snorkler". Though year etc... does not matter as long as the OT, filtering, Drop Resistors and other interesting non posted details are applied. The obvious is that the amp is a non cathode follower model allowing for the 4th gain stage.

The owner of the 2020 Bogner "Snorkler" which was signed just last month in the end stated when referring to my circuit tone without Studio manipulation ("its close real close") after we communicated. He is a very nice gentleman who also is well versed in the "Snorkler". However he stated he is not able to post a video/audio sample .(Why? IDK).

LINK TO REVERB BELOW:

https://reverb.com/item/37032091-ma...ice-to-sell-bogner-modded-famous-snorkler-mod

Through this I learned Bogner indeed did a few of these mods. Some having "Gold Boards" which no longer are available either.

NOTE 2: Keep in mind speaker cab's and mic techniques.

3.) Jason's "Snorkler" that Mark completed after 3 years below:

4.) Mark playing my One Off "Cantrell" before I found it in Indianapolis. This was built for someone else.

I am certain to be discredited etc... for claims, names & posting such blasphemy on this subject lol. IDC.

I chose to use an IPhone to record loaded straight to YouTube with no particular part of the speaker being pinpointed. I am not certain how Brian or Eddy recorded and mixed. I do know Mark told me the video's I posted were straight up phone.

Best regards, David...♫

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  2. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Nailed it . It is dark sounding !

3. NewReligion

Thank you my friend. The tones are subjective due to cabinets, speakers, AiC in studio set up etc...

But there are a couple Bogner modded Marshall’s on Reverb. One advertised as a actual Snorkler with a signature date of just last month but the owner said he can not post a video clip(?)

Mark (Cameron) finished one for his room mate Jason after three years of working with it. Jason nought it on eBay from Bogner’s hometown in Germany. The amp was incomplete but had the partial “blue board”.

Sounds pretty good though.

I have a one off Cameron “Cantrell”. But I studied schematics from Bogner and inside some of his gear. Got inside his head lol. Pun intended.

Thanks again for listening.

David

4. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sounds killer David, though the Les Paul makes it hard to compare with your other mods. Maybe try a new video with the Ibanez ?

NewReligion likes this.
  5. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Very interesting Mod Dave. That was allegedly a rented amp used by Jane's Addiction, Social Distortion, AIC, and maybe others in the early 90's. IMO your take is a little dark and touch over saturated. I am in no way being critical it sounds good. In my head the intro to Stop by Janes Addiction captures the spirit of this mod.

Mitchell Pearrow and NewReligion like this.
  6. NewReligion

Thank you DD. Very true as I am using UK Vintage 30's. Then factor it is a Phone recording not a SM57 than can be manipulated. I will post some additional data soon.

Thanks again for listening & posting.

David...♫

7. NewReligion

Hello clutch 71. Yes I too am very aware of the history of the actual "Snorkler". There are a few guys that actually offer what they say is the "Snorkler" mod. They may in fact know what I know or even more detail. IMO their mods sound great to my ear.

This is my personal amp.

Brian of BFG gets real close in the studio. We can hear the mushiness of the tone.

Eddy Lenz also gets there.

NOTE 1: I am not stating I nailed the exact mod but I applied my data from a few sources. Keep in mind that mic technique and speaker cab's in addition to settings are relevant. I had a lot of room to turn up the Treble & Presence. Regardless no two amps are going to sound identical especially with so many factors.

1.) Bellow is an actual Reinhold Bogner “blue board” which actually has his initials on the back. I have additional photo's to confirm a circuit which I own sold as a "One Off Cantrell" from Mark Cameron. It is easy to understand the preamp section from this data. However the Power section & NFB circuit came from alternate sources.

Mark finished a amp with the same blue board that his room mate Jason owns. Jason stated he found it on eBay in Bogner's Germany hometown. Though not working, after 3 years Mark finally had it up and cranking.

[​IMG]

2.) There is a Bogner Certified and Signed "Snorkler" on a 1983 Canadian 2204 for sale on Reverb at the moment. This is the same year and Canadian but in head form as the Genuine "Snorkler". Though year etc... does not matter as long as the OT, filtering, Drop Resistors and other interesting non posted details are applied. The obvious is that the amp is a non cathode follower model allowing for the 4th gain stage.

The owner of the 2020 Bogner "Snorkler" which was signed just last month in the end stated when referring to my circuit tone without Studio manipulation ("its close real close") after we communicated. He is a very nice gentleman who also is well versed in the "Snorkler". However he stated he is not able to post a video/audio sample .(Why? IDK).

LINK TO REVERB BELOW:

https://reverb.com/item/37032091-ma...ice-to-sell-bogner-modded-famous-snorkler-mod

Through this I learned Bogner indeed did a few of these mods. Some having "Gold Boards" which no longer are available either.

NOTE 2: Keep in mind speaker cab's and mic techniques.

3.) Jason's "Snorkler" that Mark completed after 3 years below:

4.) Mark playing my One Off "Cantrell" before I found it in Indianapolis. This was built for someone else.

I am certain to be discredited etc... for claims, names & posting such blasphemy on this subject lol. IDC.

I chose to use an IPhone to record loaded straight to YouTube with no particular part of the speaker being pinpointed. I am not certain how Brian or Eddy recorded and mixed. I do know Mark told me the video's I posted were straight up phone.

Best regards, David...♫

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  8. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

it sounds good, a little heavier than usual? Was that drop tuning? (drop D maybe?) I think that helped make it sound darker. I don't think it was just the les paul.

I am used to your lightning fast riffs that tear my head off, this amp goes to another place.

I see what you are doing here. Trying to appeal to a different group of guitar players.

Mitchell Pearrow and NewReligion like this.
  9. NewReligion

Hello Travis. Yes both Alice In Chains songs are in Drop D.

The Les Paul is brighter than my Inanez’s & Strat’s. The Les Paul 61T & 61R BB’s measure 8k compared to the 498T Gibson I prefer at 14k.

The settings are darker as is the Resonance. Then factor in the UK Vintage 30 Speakers.

No doubt I could place a SM57 up run into my studio and be on
    mark but I prefer the phone.

Thanks for listening.

David

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Sounds like a modded Marshall with a bad cold. It may be good for a grunge type sound, but it wouldn't get much love from me. I want a true plexi sound instead.

It's just a totally different sonic flavor. Not the right one for me but really good for THAT.

11. NewReligion

Well said. I have many flavors of High Gain Plexi’s.

This is one of two of this type circuit I own. I find it a pleasing departure from the others.

As long as there is no fizz/fuzz/buzz. NASTY!

Thank you for listening and posting.

David

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Bravo brother you have now claimed yet another great tone out of a great amp.
    Love your work brother..
    Thanks
    Mitch

13. NewReligion

Hi Brother Mitch. I appreciate the listen and post.

Much respect, David

14. NewReligion

With my Custom Ibanez’s it can be wicked dark but balanced nicely with the Treble, Presence & Low Resonance controls.

David

ibmorjamn and Mitchell Pearrow like this.