‘72 Artiste 2040

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Ledwallet, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Ledwallet

Ledwallet New Member

Hi guys, looking for a wee bit of advice regards an amp I’ve picked up.

Managed to bag a great condition amp here, tolex in great condition as well as the basket weave no splits or holes. amp looks physically great. Opened up the chassis baffle and cab also show zero signs of wood rot or staining.

here’s my quandary, I know this could be modded to achieve a more desirable Marshall crunch that I want. Would I be better to have that done or just have the electrics restored to factory and sell it on to buy a studio vintage head and cab. If so what would be a fair price in £ to ask.

love the aesthetics but not the sound. I’m torn!

thanks for any help
    Ledwallet

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Don’t mod the amp . Sell it and get the amp you want

ljs likes this.
  3. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

These do crop up now and again, I would like to know the differences and why they seem to not sell so quickly.
    I would guess that some will chime in and give some hard facts on the actual spec's of this amp.

Post some pic's if you can, guts too.

4. Ledwallet

Ledwallet New Member

Thanks for the reply’s app far guys. Out and about today I’ll get a few pics up when i can.

5. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Don't mod it ..... (from one who has done it ) Preserve Marshall history
    Just put a cheap Chinese Tube Screamer in front of it .
    If that's not enough ,just trade it for some modern gain machine amp perhaps

Valvelust likes this.
  6. Ledwallet

Ledwallet New Member

this Is was what was in forefront of my thinking. The things nearly 50yrs old unblemished. Kind of feels wrong to start pulling bits out of it and changing it up. Can’t afford a Bluesbreaker tho’

7. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

It's your amp, there are people here that will know whether this can be modded successfully. If it can then you have some options.

8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Ive never been a great proponent of tube screamers .I probably own half a dozen variants of screamer

The lack of Bluesbreaker tone, if that's what you're after, is a lack of those Marshall mid frequencies.
    Fortunately ,the screamers are a mid heavy pedal ,that if you take some time to dial it in, you'll have it

9. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

If it's a pre- PCB Artiste , it CAN be modded successfully .Ive done it , but looking back,I wish I hadnt

Even if its a PCB version, there's a tweak Im thinkin of that I probably would've done 20 yrs go

10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

OK
    I'll mod it for $6000.00 + shipping.
    Cheaper and quicker than a Dumble, but probably just as good.

11. Ned B

Ned B Active Member

I am working on this early '73. What I have learned is that it is indeed a Fender inspired design. however it uses a Baxandall tone stack. I am not interested in altering it, but as a big fan of the use of the Ice Cube in a blackface fender, I noticed you can drop it into the RCA jacks that you see on my chassis next to the power tube. When I use it on my SR or VR I run my preamp volume on only 3 and use my reverb control as the main gain control and it is all clean power tube saturation. Since the reverb sucks gain and the half 12AT7 adds gain back to compensate, the Ice Cube bypasses the reverb as uses the reverb recovery stage as added gain controlled by the reverb pot. You can balance between the volume and reverb controls to good effect plus keeping preamp clean makes for a very pedal friendly set up.

With all that said it didn't work in the Artiste (osillation), but I will continue to experiment because I believe it is a good concept. The Artiste uses a 12AX7 there which probably needs to be an AT7 and the 470K resistor value (which is pretty much all the Ice Cube is) may also need to be experimented with.

Attached Files:

12. chard

chard Active Member

They don’t really do too well with mods, yes they sound more gainy but not like a Super Lead.

13. pulsonicsound

pulsonicsound Well-Known Member

I’ve had two of these in the past, they get a bad rep for being clean, but I do like the reverb, very usable and they take pedals really well!

You could easily sell the castors(if they are present) and the combo separately and make enough to buy a mk2 mv!

14. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It's a Marshall voiced to sound like a Fender. Judging by listings on reverb.com, it could be fairly valuable. If it doesn't sing to you, sell it to someone who will love it for what it is and what it does. Use the money to buy an amp that is a better fit for your tastes.

15. josep_cla

josep_cla Member

I own two of them, a head and a combo.
    They sound just like my 2203 with a TS9 in front.
    Add another TS9 and sounds pretty metal.

No need to mod'em!

AlvisX likes this.