MarshallForum.com
 
Go Back   MarshallForum.com > Music Gear > The Tone Zone
LIKE MarshallForum on Facebook FOLLOW MarshallForum on Twitter
  
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By zachman
  • 1 Post By anitoli
  • 1 Post By diesect20022000
  • 1 Post By zachman

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Initiator ov Chaos 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 49
Exclamation MXR Dyna Comp

Hey guys. I purchased this pedal but ended up returning it because of horrible noise issues. The compression itself worked great for me. But the noise and feedback created was unbearable. I used it in front of my Blackstar HT Club 40 for my overdrive channel. Needed sustain for my leads. As you may have guessed I dont have a noise gate. How does this pedal work for you? Any experience with it when used with a noise gate? And also I read somewhere that there is a little trim pot inside the housing that you can adjust to eliminate the noise. I tried it and it did not work at all. It got rid of the noise, but also the volume. Basically making it unusable. I tried minor adjustments to try and find some sort of sweet spot. But nothing worked. Any thoughts?
Initiator ov Chaos 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Marshall Amps

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MarshallForum.com
   
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zachman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tone Mountain
Posts: 3,586
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator ov Chaos 11 View Post
Hey guys. I purchased this pedal but ended up returning it because of horrible noise issues. The compression itself worked great for me. But the noise and feedback created was unbearable. I used it in front of my Blackstar HT Club 40 for my overdrive channel. Needed sustain for my leads. As you may have guessed I dont have a noise gate. How does this pedal work for you? Any experience with it when used with a noise gate? And also I read somewhere that there is a little trim pot inside the housing that you can adjust to eliminate the noise. I tried it and it did not work at all. It got rid of the noise, but also the volume. Basically making it unusable. I tried minor adjustments to try and find some sort of sweet spot. But nothing worked. Any thoughts?
My FAVORITE MUST have pedal. The noise w/ adding that much gain is inevitable, so turn it off when you stop playing solos. Pretty simple.

Get a boost pedal, and run it in your loop. You'll still have to turn it off when not playing or you WILL have hiss. It's physics. And noise gates just suck the life out of your tone.
diesect20022000 likes this.
zachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
johnfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 3,558
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

I'm a Dyna Comp fan but always used it only for clean tones. I would find something else (boost, OD) to use for leads.
__________________
My Amps: Marshall: '68 1959T, JVM410HJS, Class 5 head; Fender '65 BF Showman, '80s Hiwatt 50, '90s Dual Rec, Ceriatone: 18W TMB, 2204HW, DZ30, Liverpool, Express, Prinzetone; Jet City: JCA20H, Pico Valve; Egnater Tweaker, Bad Cat Cougar 15, Fractal Axe FX II. Various Marshall and other cabs: 4x12, 2x12, 1x12
My Strats: early '80s '62 RI, '87 Strat plus, '10 EJ maple neck; many partscasters; Gibson: '08 Firebird V, '11 SG, '66 Melody Maker, '81 ES-347, '04 ES-335, '05 LP Std DC; various others
johnfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
anitoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lewiston, Maine U.S.A.
Posts: 2,412
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

The Dyna-Comps run an old chip- CA3080 Operatinal Transconductance Amplifier. They ARE noisy as these were designed like in the late 60's. They were bulit on a wafer design which requires doping of the substrate by means of a gas infusion- hence the noise.

They are obsolete and can be hard to locate but NTE has a replacement:

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte996.pdf

These can still be found. As far as the noise in these it could be better than thr CA3080. You would have to try it and find out or maybe someone here has and will offer up some advice.
Mitchell J Doran likes this.
__________________
6100 MIDI Support
http://home.myfairpoint.net/vze1u14s...supportservice
anitoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Mitchell J Doran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 39
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitoli View Post
The Dyna-Comps run an old chip- CA3080 Operatinal Transconductance Amplifier. They ARE noisy as these were designed like in the late 60's. They were bulit on a wafer design which requires doping of the substrate by means of a gas infusion- hence the noise.

They are obsolete and can be hard to locate but NTE has a replacement:

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte996.pdf

These can still be found. As far as the noise in these it could be better than thr CA3080. You would have to try it and find out or maybe someone here has and will offer up some advice.
great post, thanks for the information.
Mitchell J Doran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sccloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,300
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

They are noisy when you turn up the output. That is just how they are. Keep the output down to a level where the noise is not as noticeable. Don't rely on it for a boost in volume unless you can tolerate the noise.

I use mine for some leads, but I always hit it anytime I want some feedback...usually at the end of a KISS song...haha!
__________________
1986 Marshall JCM 800 2205
1991 Marshall JCM 900 Mkiii 2500
2010 Marshall Class 5 Combo
JCM 800 Lead Series 1960b cab
JCM 900 Lead Series 1960a cab
1960 ax cab (greenbacks)
2010 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
sccloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
diesect20022000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 44076
Posts: 18,767
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachman View Post
My FAVORITE MUST have pedal. The noise w/ adding that much gain is inevitable, so turn it off when you stop playing solos. Pretty simple.

Get a boost pedal, and run it in your loop. You'll still have to turn it off when not playing or you WILL have hiss. It's physics. And noise gates just suck the life out of your tone.
yeah noise gates do. i have found depepnding on the use the ISP decimator series are tolerable. no tone suck when set properly at least for clean,indie and metal/prog so far. it's the ONLY series/gates i can use. i can't even use EQ pedals because of the imo negative affects on tone. there's a new one i want to TRY though but i had the old blue MXR m108 and the boss EQ-7.....the boss was tinny and digital sounding and the MXR added a bizare metalic clank and these abhorations were apparent even set flat, loop or out front
zachman likes this.
diesect20022000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zachman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tone Mountain
Posts: 3,586
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesect20022000 View Post
yeah noise gates do. i have found depepnding on the use the ISP decimator series are tolerable. no tone suck when set properly at least for clean,indie and metal/prog so far. it's the ONLY series/gates i can use. i can't even use EQ pedals because of the imo negative affects on tone. there's a new one i want to TRY though but i had the old blue MXR m108 and the boss EQ-7.....the boss was tinny and digital sounding and the MXR added a bizare metalic clank and these abhorations were apparent even set flat, loop or out front
I agree w/ the adding of color. It just depends if it's the right color called for, or not. I found that a lot of time a speaker change was the missing element, as opposed to an external eq. Also, using one in a switching system can sometimes eliminate some of the negative artifacts you are experiencing.

I find that sometimes-- parametric eq's are really better than graphic eq's in a guitar rig, if an external eq is required, for certain things vs others.
diesect20022000 likes this.
zachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 735
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

A Dyna Comp has allowed me to get a "cleaner" tone from my Class 5 combo @ amp volumes that should be anything but clean with that amp.

ANd love having a DynaComp around for all clean tones as well - like the way it both fattens & squishes the clean guitar tone. Do not really use it as a boost, though.
__________________
Marshall C5-01
Egnater Tweaker 40-112
Fender Classic Players 50s Strat
Gibson LPJ Goldtop Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Dunlop Germanium Mini Fuzzface
Dunlop Rotovibe
Digitech Whammy
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde (V1 red)
MXR DynaComp
MXR/EVH Phase 90
Xotic EP Booster
MXR Carbon Copy echo
TC Electronic Transition Delay/Looper
BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus
BOSS TR-2 Tremolo
MXR Micro Flanger
EH Holy Grail Nano
jwebb1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
indeedido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
Posts: 685
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

Only the original or 76 reissue has the CA3080. The regular versions have something else. I'm thinking of getting the 76 Reissue but I'm sure there are always better things like the Keely, etc. The 76 reissue gets a lot of fan fare as well as the original from the 70s. I don't know one from another honestly but am looking to try out a compressor with my YJM100 and it seems like a good place to start. I've got a good gate in it so I'm not worried about the noise and I'm not using a mega high gain amp either.

Anyone have any knowledge first hand of the 76 reissue dyna comp?
__________________
This space for rent.
indeedido is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zachman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tone Mountain
Posts: 3,586
Re: MXR Dyna Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
Only the original or 76 reissue has the CA3080. The regular versions have something else. I'm thinking of getting the 76 Reissue but I'm sure there are always better things like the Keely, etc. The 76 reissue gets a lot of fan fare as well as the original from the 70s. I don't know one from another honestly but am looking to try out a compressor with my YJM100 and it seems like a good place to start. I've got a good gate in it so I'm not worried about the noise and I'm not using a mega high gain amp either.

Anyone have any knowledge first hand of the 76 reissue dyna comp?
You are correct, re: the CA3080. As far as "Better" goes, that is subjective. I like the "tone" coloration of the MXR. It gets THAT sound. I mostly use it on the clean stuff, but have used it for a gain boost as well.
zachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mxr

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Find us on Facebook!   Follow us on Twitter!

Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Les Paul Forum | Music Gear Forum | 7 String Guitar Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

MarshallForum proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2005-2014, MarshallForum.com. All Rights Reserved.