Youtubes Flawed Speaker Shootouts

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Dmann, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

So I ordered some new speakers recently, and in anticipation I decided to delve into the impossibly huge number of shootouts and demos on YouTube.

It just amazes me that all these guys doing shootouts never move / reposition the mic for each speaker.... sorry but the cone and cap on g12m is completely different than a g12t yet they set up the mic position for the best sound from the greenback and expect that same placement to give the best sound from the 75.... not gonna happen.

And then I noticed it on every single video.... every single shootout with close micing, the mic never moves and the droves of commenters all proclaim the 1st speaker (in which the mic was initially set up for) the best sounding / clear winner... almost always the greenback or v30... lol

What a joke.

YouTube can be good, but soooooo much fail in this. It's no wonder by and large so many think g12t-75s are horrible speakers.

Anyways my new speakers are ready for pickup tomorrow, a pair of v30's and g12evh's, and I'm very much looking fwd to that :agreed:

2. boola1

boola1 Active Member

I don't think speaker shootouts give you much idea at all what a speaker will sound like in real-life unless they are being used in a mix.

Dmann likes this.
  3. metromutt

metromutt Active Member

My take on youtube vids of all guitar gear is... 'this is what it sounds like when they record it with the recording gear they have'.
    As to what it sounds like in the flesh is totally different, likewise tone the individual likes to hear.

Probably just me but when I hear someone's clips of amps they have modded... they all virtually sound the same? ...sorry I digress!

Dmann, EndGame00 and Dogs of Doom like this.
  4. coyote

coyote Member

If you’ve been around long enough, you can grasp from the “sound without band” approximately how it will sound WITH a band.

And I always like to go for a fuller sound. Remember, you can use EQ to cut a sound down to size.... but if it’s not substantial enough to begin with, it’s virtually impossible to “build more sound in” in any elegant way.

Consequently, I already know that a Greenback in a Marshall-depth cabinet is more to my taste than a 70/80 in a Fender-depth cabinet. And that speaker/cab setups that sound similar to that will sound good in the mix with my band.

Dmann likes this.
  5. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

I agree with the OP and I even wrote about it to Johann Segeborn. He usually sets the microphone dead-on centre on his speakers for consistency but it would be great to hear one of his awesome shootouts with different mic positions. Perhaps he already did that and I missed it.

Another great shootout is an old one from 2013 by George from Metro amps. Just G12M's though.

Dmann likes this.
  6. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I always check to see if the YT poster included the signal chain and if post-processing was performed. You can get anything from a cell phone recording in a tile room (shit) to studio level/multi-mic/post-processed and everything in between. You need to take all that into consideration when listening to a review.

After you listen to enough reviews you can at least get a good idea of how speakers sound relative to one another. How they sound with your amp, guitar, room, etc., is another story.

Dmann likes this.
  7. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

How about speaker shootouts with too much gain and effects... I hate those...

Delete!! and Dmann like this.
  8. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Let us know how you like the new speakers. Dare I say post an audio clip :).

Dmann likes this.
  9. Delete!!

Delete!! Member

I have the same issue with reviews, no matter how I hear it on video it always sounds very different in person. Best method for evaluation is good old fashioned trial and error - nothing beats personal experience.

Dmann likes this.
  10. GrahamL

GrahamL Active Member

Dmann likes this.
  11. Jeff Hudson

Jeff Hudson Active Member

I'd have to disagree with you on moving mics, changing mic position does not allow you to hear the difference between speakers. possibly it would be better if the micing was done room only. I do have to say that reverb has done some good comparisons on speakers. because of their vids I bought my current speakers, and the video was very accurate as far as the sound in person.