Your Buddy Says He Wants To Trade A Jvm205h For Your Dsl100h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by bobpick68, Jan 13, 2019.

?

Would you do the trade?

1. No

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Yes

30 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The simple answer is, go with the one that best suits your needs and taste (tone wise). Yes, the JVM is a more versatile amp, and worth more $$ than the DSL, and if that's what matters, do the trade. I've had a heavily modded 410H, and now a DSL 100H, and they are different sounding amps for sure. I am wondering why your "buddy" is wanting to trade, doesn't really make sense based on value alone, unless he's asking for the 100H plus some $$.

Len, bobpick68 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

The money shot (imo) with the JVM is found in OD1 on the 410, whereas the OD on the 2's is the more modern variant found in OD2 on the 410. I suppose if I was into a more modern metal sound it might appeal to me, but I far prefer the more classic sounds that are missing with the loss of OD1. That's literally all it comes down to for me. If the 2's were equipped with OD1, I'd vote in favor of the trade.

3. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression the Jvm 210 and 410 has all tbe Marshall sounds in it alot like the 6100's did back in 92 ??

4. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

Not cash but it's not a straight trade. He also wants one of my 1x12 cabs that I made out of an old Peavey PA speaker. It has a G12k-100 in it. The DSL fits almost perfectly on it when set up vertical. No biggie for me I got 4 of those cabs at a yard sale 10 years ago or so for 10 bucks each and the Celestion I put in it was already in a Peavey bandit I scored for 125 bucks. That amp now has a blue marvel that was given to me by him lol so...

He and I have swapped gear many times through the years. Couple times we have swapped back but if I like the JVM he won't try to force me to swap back if he's not happy with the DSL. I have 12 amps and he has double that so we are both gear hounds.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Not to me. To me it had a slightly different tone than a classic Marshall.

6. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

…… I've got to tip my hat to you Len, you do hold true to your word …… I'm an admin for a FB group regarding the Boss Loop Switcher …… There is a member there asking about Mods for the JVM … I was trying to do some digging for him and I came across one of your posts from 2012 …… it echoed your sentiment here …… Regarding the JVM,
    You said,"I'm trying to unload my 1x12 combo. While it's really versatile and the features are great, I can't get a good 800 tone out if it and the lower gain settings come no where close to a Plexi. Overall it doesn't seem to have any character"

7. Ivanock

Ivanock Member

But that could be easely solved with a minor mod. The JVM it's much much better amp in all aspects. Love the DSL, but JVM hands down it's better

8. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

the 6100 is def flavored well, even hearing a dif between my dsl100h & cr40...seems the newer the amp the more modern voicing creeps in. looking forward to adding a JVM to the stable one day

9. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The different channels of a JVM share most of the same components and signal path (for the most part), using relays to add/bypass gain stages and switch in/out subtle component alterations. The 6100 has separate preamp sections for each channel, each with it's own tonality and signal path, more like having multiple amps in one box.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Make the trade asap before he has time to think about it LOL!

11. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Your DSL40c with an extension cab will do the work of the 100h. Do the trade and try the JVM. I didn't like the 410h I had a few years ago, but you may love the 205.

Mitchell Pearrow and bobpick68 like this.
  12. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Did he try your amps with your cab? Perhaps without trying his amp through your cab?

K100 is a pretty good speaker after all.

Could also be a non-internet-savvy lazy/out of shape/with back problems guy who is mesmerized by the idea of 1x12" that's rated to survive moderate use with a big head, and simply hasn't seen such cabs elsewhere.

13. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

Yeah he likes it. I mean this dude has amps out the wazoo. Some that are worth a lot of money. We most likely will make the swap in a week or two when he gets back from China.

Yamariv and Mitchell Pearrow like this.