You Guys With Multiple Amps, Do You Play Them All?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Alter

Alter Active Member

I have 6 amps atm, one is for sale. Keeping 5 combos: two are tube, one solid state, one acoustic, and one cheap spare/loaner/hazardous gig one. ;)

That's the least amps I've had for a while now, think I sold about 5 of them in the last year. I like heavy tube amps, but don't enjoy the carrying part, so it's easier to let them go.

Don't think I ever had amps that didn't get gigged. If I don't really need an amp, usually it gets replaced by a guitar! :)

But face moving in with a woman and space suddenly takes on a new meaning.. :) . For the truth of the matter, I didn't even buy a SV20 combo yet, which is by far the worst gas any amp has given me in a decade or so.. :( But I know I'll get there sooner or later..

Jethro Rocker and tce63 like this.
  2. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

buy it, be happy. with the amp in hands evaluate if something worth selling. and about moving with a woman... I have my "man cave" where I can do whatever I want. if your partner does not allow you to have hobbies... change your wife.

my wife tried to do it in our first month together and the answer was "the guitars landed here 20 years before you. any fights you'll have with the guitars you'll loose. I won't complain about your stuff, don't even try with mine".

thankfully she's very down to earth and we never fought about it.

Mitchell Pearrow and Alter like this.
  3. Alter

Alter Active Member

Girlfriend is immensely supportive, as I play for a living, but i try to keep music things in a single big room.. not doable right now yet, but getting there :)

4. Filipe Soares

congratz man!!!! that's a keeper!

Mitchell Pearrow, Alter and tce63 like this.
  5. Kostas

Kostas Member

'73 Fender Bassman 50
    Epiphone Valve Junior
    '15 Bad Cat Cub III
    '19 Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555X

I play them all, they are my Fender, Vox & Marshall flavors and Ι like different flavors. Exception is the Epiphone, haven't used it in about a decade, I would gladly sell it but it worths nothing.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

I had 10 amps at one time a couple of years ago. I’m down to just 3 amps now. When I owned 10 amps I kept about 5-6 out and put the others in a closet and would rotate them in and out once a month or so.

When I got back into a band two years ago, 10 amps proved inconvenient. I would waste too much time trying to find my sound depending upon the song that we were playing and the guitar and amp that I was using. I then began to downsize my amps.

Now I’m down to just three amps, two Marshalls and one BF Fender. I use the Fender amp primarily for SRV Texas-Blues with my Stratocaster, and my Marshall’s with my Les Paul and Telecaster for pretty much everything else.

The amp that I use the most, is usually my most recently acquired amp. Currently, that’s my early ‘70’s Marshall Combo.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    scozz, wntbtw and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  7. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Active Member

I have 16 marshall heads and yes. I have all heads inputs wired to a patch bay and I use two of these [​IMG]
    So to change heads and/or cabs. I simply change where I plug my guitar into the patch pay, and use the ampegs to match that head to whatever cabinet I want. Yes, it is freaking fantastic, change to whatever amp/cab I want in about 5 seconds.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

No, I don't. Most are for player demos.

9. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

today..jmp50
    then jtm50

then a session with 74 super reverb for some chord work

& just now boosted jtm45 with a strat..Ritchie Blackmore land...dimed into 1960bx..bass on 0, treble chan dimed, other chan on 1, SD1 full vol-tone to left of center & just a small touch of gain..that was the mojo of all of em today..finally quit screwing around at low volume all day & let it rip....natural crunch..leads that sustain...usually Sg or Lp but the strat was insane

RLW59 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Someone could ask the same question about guitars and do they all get played or just sit and go out of tune?.... I have a Gibson Hummingbird, a S&P songsmith, S&P parlor, Gibson SG Standard limited, Gibson Explorer, ESP Truckster, & LTD Iron Cross. I bounce from acoustic to electric lots. Play acoustic for months not touching any electrics and same goes for my electrics. I seem to have a favorite every other month and almost play it exclusively. I don’t know how people have like 20 guitars? I find it a challenge to keep my 7 in the best playing condition as I can always. Meaning fresher strings, adjusted necks etc. I would find it hard to believe that anyone with like 20 guitars I could grab each one and they would all play beautifully.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

Guitar forums just exploded and broke the internet.

12. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Interesting.. I was looking for a similar solution.. But only 2 amp inputs have a load when not in use. I'll probably opt for one of these down the road.

http://www.delisleguitar.com/shop/de-lisle-amp-speaker-selector-v1/

13. Filipe Soares

I have done something similar, 2 rotary switches. 1 for amp, 1 for cabs. all of my cabs are 16ohms. really practical. I´ll develop a new version (it´s not in use right now) with dumb loads for all amps, so in case things went south I have a safe net.

tce63 likes this.
  14. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

I've heard those Gibson's require a lot of setup and maintenance. :lol:

tce63 likes this.
  15. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

I currently have a Marshall 6100LM head with v30 4x12 cab, an orange rocker 30 combo and 3 Mesa boogie combos mark 3, studio 2+ and a 50 caliber+..... the mesas are the only ones I would never part with but I’m really loving the Marshall at the moment and the rocker 30 is crazy good. My daughter uses all these amps more than me for various forms of songwriting and in her bands.

16. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Sure Mitch. Was specifically referring to.."...fantasy to be a rockstar " not playing the guitar.
    BP

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Active Member

Well, I don't have all of them turned on all the time, (could you imagine the electric bill? lol), so I do in fact have the extra step of turning whatever amp I want on, and, of course, turn the one Im currently using off if I change amps in the same session (rare). There is a full digital version that does all this, but super expensive. I forget who makes it.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

No problem brother you know how this internet thing works better than I.
    So I left a comment.
    Cheers Ray

tce63 and BanditPanda like this.
  19. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

20. Filipe Soares

ampete... I've been dreaming about it for a while.

In my case: if I found a ampeg for sale, I'll buy it. mine is DIY I'd like to do it for safety reasons. if something fails the amp goes to a dummy load.