You Guys With Multiple Amps, Do You Play Them All?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 2, 2019.

1. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I "only" have 5 at home at the moment, but yes i play them all, 4 Marshall and one VOX.

2. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

I rotate thru mine (I have a lot more than what's in my signature), though over the last 2 years I've gravitated towards my JCM 2000's. With a BOSS Tube Amp Expander they can kind of do it all- practice volume or gig volume.

3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

No, mine do not get played. It's my childhood fantasy to be a rockstar and own a wall of Marshalls.

.........I'm still waiting on the rockstar thing to happen.:facepalm:

4. Chrome

Chrome Active Member

I have 5 amps. it is venue dependent partly. based on stage space more than anything.

my go to amp is my 76 JMP with 1960AX cab. if the venue is small, I will usually carry my DSL 40 combo to save stage property. I also have a DSL 100 HR that I will occasionally put on stage, but mostly use it for practice. a Peavey Mace half stack I used to gig with but it stays in the basement, every once in awhile, I will go down stairs and rattle the house with it. finally I have a little bitty Black Star 1x10 that is very convenient to jam with when I'm in the motor coach, it doesn't take much space.

5. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I have several, a mesa 5/50 express combo with matching 1x12,.. 2266 tru 2x12 H/M mix
    2555x tru 2x12 cannabis rex ,...….. 60 jtm2x12 v30's combo,plus a matching 2x12 of v30's ,...... 2525c ,...... 3 x1watt heads jtm1, jmp1 , jcm1, that I play tru a 2x12 G12 80, I haven't played tru the mesa for a while but have the rest quite a bit as I changed cabs around and I think the amps / cabs I have now will stay together as they are , but yes I must give the mesa a good play over Christmas , if not before ,but I love them all ,i'm more of an amp collector than guitar - I have 2 strats that I use all the time , one thin and high treble and one with texas specials in it -more middle tones and I have everthing sound wise in this setup , but I don't work and sometimes play for several hours in a day-I sing as well and I have a 70's torque 100 pa that I've had 25 years +that is kept set up in my bedroom -I have one side , and the wife has her stuff the other side , I like to keep my amps setup ready to go, for when the mood takes me
    edit - I forgot a laney cub10 which I sometimes take in my baywindow camping if I want electric , and another little gem is a peazey solo 10watt batteries/15watt electric, pa combo -this is great for little solo gigs

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    stringtree and scozz like this.
  6. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

I have ten guitar amps. I don't play them equaly. The most played are Astoria custom, TSL100, JVMHJS, Lm6100 and the VM2466. I have three man caves in diferent places. Of course I need all of them. And yes I will buy more.

:cheers:

7. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I have three and definitely use them all. I love recording and have always been a big fan of mixing up and experimenting with different tones to create more interesting/unique tracks, from multiple guitars, speakers, mics and yes, amps too...it all adds up and can payoff in the end product (not that there's anything wrong with the one guitar > amp > song approach, I just like the options and challenge of mixing/matching).

8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

In rotation to keep the caps fresh and remind me why I’ve kept each one.
    Funnily enough the guitars (less of those too) get less rotation as I keep them in their cases in secure cupboard unless they are out..

9. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The only amps that don't get played at least occasionally anymore is the DSL and a couple non Marshalls. I just have not bonded with them much. Plus if it comes down to a choice; am I going to play a DSL or a Jubilee ?, the Jubilee is going to win every time.

My number 1 is still my 87 50 watt Jubilee. If it's too much amp for the venue, the Mini Jubilee is the perfect alternative. The MJ get played probably the most both at home and out.

The JMD still comes in handy. What a versatile and good sounding amp.

The JTM45's smokey clean tone is perfection, but to get much distortion it needs to be stupid loud and I have never found a pedal I really liked with it. I like to spend time with it and a strat playing Hendrix tunes like Wind Cries Mary, Little Wing, Angel, type stuff. It has a lot of clean gain. By that I mean, even totally clean, it gives tons of sustain, even on a strat, and with tonal depth. Remarkable amp.

10. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I wish I could keep every amp I ever bought but my income tends to be rather erratic given the nature of the work I do. So I go through cycles of accumulation and cycles of weeding out the amps that I just end up not playing very much.

I learned long ago that not many amps are so unique that another one just like it can't be found if you are motivated to find it.

Sometimes I look at some amps as a cash reserve. Especially if I get a screaming deal on one and know that should I need the money I can pull a profit off it. And sometimes I've done that and ended up being wrong in my estimations. It's surprisingly hard to sell a Mesa Rocket 44 even though it is a very good sounding little amp, or so it would appear.

But the CONDITION of those older amps is not going to get better with time unless they're repaired, refurbished, and even restored from time to time.
    So I'd rather have gotten the most desirable amps when they were new. Unfortunately I lost my keys to my time machine.

I'm feeling confident (at this time) that my two JMP era Marshalls will be with me until my will is executed. But yes, that might change, too. For now,
    they're the prizes of the collection.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  11. Fierce_Carrot

Fierce_Carrot Member

I love playing thru multiple amps simultaneously. Mixing my EL34 Marshall with my Bogner with 5881's gives me a wall of sound so thick I can drive a truck on it. The tubes have different sonic characteristics and it's a very broad range from thumping lows to screaming highs. It also lets me run stereo effects.

12. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

Nice!

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

At what age are you planning to " throw in the towel " Lance?
    You're getting a bit long in the tooth as it is! :wow::sad::rofl:
    BP

Jethro Rocker and Lance Chambers like this.
  14. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Band on the Run ?
    BP

marshalltsl likes this.
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

You never throw in the towel BP
    Because you will just go back in and pick it up, regardless of how long in the tooth you become..
    Cheers

16. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

Yes I play in band right now. It's a band with his own songs but we play the Ramones and Black Sabbath songs in the show. A year ago I joined the band, I replaced the lead/rythmic guitar. Next concert on the 13th. This time it's gig in a private club :D, I can't wait.

17. Harlequin tusk

Harlequin tusk Well-Known Member

I don't rotate, been playing Bass more often lately and the little 5 watt Blackstar, haven't had the heart to sell any of them yet Amps.jpg

18. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Harlequin tusk and tce63 like this.
  19. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I try to play everything. I was playing almost just with the 5150iii, bought the 800kk and it was his time. Now I'm playing a lot with the Savage... It's the same with the guitars. I was not playing de vandemberg, now it's my number 1.

Luckily there's no such thing as monogamy with gear. you can play different stuff without worrying about the feelings of the rest of the gear.

MarshallDog, Lance Chambers and tce63 like this.
  20. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

I thinned the herd, down to 2 Marshalls and 1 Fender amp. Mesa and EVH amps now gone.

scozz and tce63 like this.