You Guys With Multiple Amps, Do You Play Them All?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 2, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’m just curious about this , now I’m not really referring to guys with 3 or 4 amps, I’m talking about the guy with like more than a half dozen amps.

I see some of you list your gear in your signature, and I see some guys have lots of great amps. I’m wondering, how often do you play them all? Do you rotate them? Do some get more play than others? Are some not used at all for whatever reason?

Just curious, I thought it’d be fun to read what you guys say to this. Currently I have only 5 amps, and 2 cabs.....

SC20
    Dsl1hr
    1966 Fender Bandmaster Head
    Marshall AVT20 combo
    Bugera G5 Infinium

2-1-12 cabs, one with a UK Greenback, one a Creamback.

I do not rotate, I’m pretty much playing my SC20 exclusively. The others really don’t match up. I tried this past weekend playing my Dsl1hr and was a bit disappointed.

Now I understand my other amps really cannot match up tone wise with my SC20,...except maybe my Bugera G5. My Bugera has a great DI out, I use that for recording solos. It puts all my other amps to shame as far as a DI quality sound.

So tell us, how often do you play all your amps, do you have some amps for certain applications, what amps get most of the play and why????

Attached Files:

2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

yes all get played.
    mine are kinda divided up by genre

3. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

Not very often, I'll dig a few of them out when I've got a few mates over for something to do or to remind myself of the sound of some of them.

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

My inventory is subject to change frequently. But I play everything I own if it's in working shape.

At this exact moment that includes...

Marshall department
    1973 Marshall 1959 (under restoration, waiting for the transformers to come back from Mercury Magnetics)
    1977 Marshall 2203
    MA50 head
    MG100HCFX head (needs a power switch, on order)
    Lead 12 combo
    1960A and B cabinets in purple levant with pinstripe grilles and gold accents, with G12M75 speakers
    A pair of Hartke G412 cabinets (A and B, top and bottom) one with Greenback reissues, the other with G12P80s
    M412A cabinet (same dimensions as a 1960A, but all particle board)
    GH412A mini 4x12

Mesa department
    Mesa/Boogie SOB 60 watt head with modded tone stack to get boosted JTM45-like tones
    Mesa/Boogie Rocket 44 combo

Fender department
    1978 silverface Pro Reverb

Assorted department
    Fractal Axe-FX II with MFC-101 MK III foot controller
    Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro
    Behringer FC1010 MIDI foot controller board

Speaker cabinets:
    Avatar oversized 2x12 loaded with Greenback reissues
    3 custom 1x12s with EVM-12Ls
    1 Mesa Thiele with EVM-12L.

What I've disposed of in the last few months:

Two Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier Solo Heads
    Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III export fully loaded combo + custom headshell
    One silverface Fender Twin Reverb, 1978
    One Fender Super Twin Reverb, 1980

5. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I did have a x3 Marshall's but they became completely redundant when I got the EVH so I sold them . I really couldn't see the point in keeping amps I wasn't using or likely to use , plus they raised me good ££££££ which was very handy . But I did recently snag a really nice Laney aor 30 1x12 combo which sounds great as well , it did take time to dial it in ( what with the x2 pre amp knobs and push/pull active eq knobs etc ) but it's worth the effort . I do mostly use the EVH , but the Laney gets used quite a bit as well .

6. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I play my original 1990 Jubilee most, followed by my 2203X. The Plexi only gets played when I want to record with it.....just way too loud!! :)

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I rotate them at shows. Partly it is venue dependent. I started this year with the TSL122. In a hall.
    I was saving the Jubilee 2558 for the big show under the huge tent we do every summer so I could turn it up!
    Had a couple more in June where the Traynor YCS100 head amd the mini Jubilee double stack were used.
    Didnt have much stage room and I was hauling lots of gear in early Nov so I used the 6101
    Technically it was the JVM turn but I got a 6505+ combo that hadn't been gigged yet so it got used a few weeks ago in a decent sized hall.

Not sure what's next but really want to try and take the JVM. I may save it for summer or I might use the 4010 for the big show next year. Will see whay develops. Something on the go either Jan or Feb.

8. OdieRocks

OdieRocks Member

I mostly play through my '71 JMP Super Lead but sometimes I'll put some miles on the other ones. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I only have 5 that I play so I guess I'm not allowed to answer :(
    I currently am down to 9 guitars and I play all of them through my lowly 5 amps :(
    LOL!
    I am waiting for the guy who has 12 and says, "yes all at the same time"!

10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Holy crap! That's some major firepower you've got there. Those Wizard's are not cheap, are those yours also? Any vids of using them live, you're surely playing out with all that gear, right?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  11. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

No. I have 6 amps and only one gets played. The others collect dust and should be sold or dumpstered.
    BP

12. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

All get used for recording at some point because each has it's own unique voice. For gigs, it's usually a stock JVM410H and stock Mesa-Boogie Road King 2 because those amps cover all the tones I'll need for one night, but they also sound amazing when played together. Usually the smaller combos are good for working song ideas or a little practice (chord progressions, scales, technical stuff). But there are times when I might not use an amp for a couple of weeks, which is fine for spreading out wear and tear at least.

13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Yo.... I believe that to be our VIP MF'r Michael RT 's stash.

Major Marshall Modder and player extraordinaire.
    BP

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

I've got... Yeah. A lot. They all get played at least periodically to keep the caps healthy, but I really only have about four that get regular playing time. Most of the time I just fire up the Kemper.

marshalltsl, jmp45, scozz and 2 others like this.
  15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I only have two 4x12's, and each always has only one amp sitting on top (I don't like to stack amps). Which two amps, depends on my mood, some may not get played for months, but then when the urge hits, they're there waiting. I've sold too many amps that I later wished I hadn't, so I now keep my favorites, just because. With a cover band, I spend a lot of time playing through the Axe FxII, as a wide variety of tones and Fx are used, and it's much easier to transport.

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Id play them all but realized ultimately i was dissatisfied with anything that wasnt Marshall so i sold them all. Now i just play my 2 Marshalls and im very satisfied. :yesway:

17. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Do the crowds favor any of these more than the other... or as long as the band is "on"/"feeling it" the crowd doesn't care type thing...

I'm sure you Rock em all!! :dude:

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I have 3 amps, but they are doubles, so six and yes I play them all the time, Origin’s for loud
    Dsl40c’s for loud / and TV volume :cheers:

19. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Always, i keep

jmp50
    jtm50
    jtm45 on 1960bx cab.. and multiple cabs ready to go

& the Fenders in an area all ready to go w/mic's there ready to record

Bug V22 & VM 2266 Rig to the side

all cords run to closet turned into ISO booth...up & recording quick..no noise limits

20. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I’d keep the SC20 and the Bandmaster (love those) and sell the rest. Then I’d buy another SC20 with the money. I have to have at least 2 of whatever I’m gigging.