YAMAHA THR-II Amps - NEW - BIGGER, BETTER & WIRELESS!

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by BanditPanda, Sep 21, 2019.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Wow!

BP

2. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I like it , I liked the old ones . I did not know Yamaha bought out line 6 . That brand will now disappear.

3. Per

Per New Member

Noticed there's a THR100h now. Pretty cool, would have been interested except with a (visually) matching cabinet (which I'm not sure exist) it's a bit out of my pricerange for now

4. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

They've addressed a lot of the issues/desires/complaints of THR users with this new line, but...

I've watch 3-4 videos on the new series now, and I haven't heard anything that makes me want to part with my THR10x and that awesome 'Brown I' mode.

I also have a THR 1x12 closed back cab w/150watt Emi in it.
    Sounds...and looks great!

Always wanted to try the 100 watt head.
    Never even seen one in the wild.

5. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Love me little original THR10, great for an ambient sounds fix, a jam in a mate's shed, or testing secondhand axes'n'pedals :yesway:

6. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

sounds good, but for 500 bucks is a big no no for me.

7. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

They bought Line 6 a couple of years ago. All indications are that Line 6 will continue as a brand, but with technology shared in both directions. (Like the wireless THR models that work with Line 6 wireless transmitters.)

ibmorjamn likes this.
  8. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

That's a first , most company's currently buy their competition to bury it.

9. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Not sure about prices where you are, but the THR10II is being presold for $299 -- the same as the original THR10's. It's the 2 models with built in wireless receivers and built in rechargeable batteries that are more expensive.

10. Filipe Soares

30w wireless costs 500 bucks.

11. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Every situation is different. Gibson bought a lot of companies just to acquire their patents, then shut them down. But they keep a watered down version of Steinberger going.

Fender bought Sunn, Tacoma and SWR with the intention of keeping them going. Invested money, brought out new models, spent money marketing them. But sales growth didn't go as hoped, so they cannibalized them and shut them down.

But they seem to be doing well with Charvel and Jackson. Those are doing better than they have in decades.

Google bought Waze but keeps it going. Waze now shares user input with Google Maps (reports of traffic jams, speed traps, road hazards), but both map services continue.

It all depends on how a company thinks it can make the most money.

12. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Yeah, in the category of "bedroom amp that can be used on stage" that one has a lot of competition. Unless I needed wireless and/or battery power I wouldn't have any interest in the big one.

13. Filipe Soares

actually i think these wireless amps makes the perfect sense to home or travel use, because you don't have to worry about cables. it's just like the guitar and the amp. I don't see anyone in their right sense using a THR II 30w in a gig.

wireless should not cost 200usd, specially when you have chinese manufactures selling wireless dongles for less than 50 bucks. so why their feature should cost 4 times what the competition is selling? it's all about marketing positioning and I don't think the regular guitar guy will buy a 500 bucks thr II just because it's wireless. anyway, it's their loss. to me a practice amp is my amp with an attenuator, I'm not their client anyway.

14. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

This is also a great direct recording device too.
    Straight to DAW, to problem.
    So it also has that going for it.

15. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a THR 30 X no wireless. Could be handy lil practice amp. Put a jack for switchjng the presets. They do sound really nice.

16. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

On the two wireless models, the wireless receiver is just a tiny part of the upcharge. The biggest added expense are the rechargable batteries. They're basically laptop batteries. Even generic ones are expensive.

I would have preferred if they had just put a battery compartment in all three, and offered the battery as a separate accessory.
    ----------------------
    But for me, the exciting one is the base model. The originals only had 5 amp models, so there was the 10, 10C, and 10X. Each of those had a couple amp models I would use, and each had 3 models I have no interest in.

The new 10II is like getting the 10, 10C, and 10X all crammed into one box. For the same price as any one of the originals.

Plus the phone editor. The old ones had to be connected to a computer to access the compressor.

And the dinky little mini-toggle power switch made me nervous. I never read complaints about the switch snapping off, but with it sticking up unprotected all sorts of disastrous scenarios ran through my mind. Plus it was just cheap looking. The new on/off button is classier looking and snag-proof.

If I had been able to choose between the 10 and 10C I probably would have bought one years ago. The 10II may be my birthday present to myself next January.

(I've never heard of Yamaha releasing a product with bugs, but brand new products have burned me a couple of times. So as a rule I let other people be the beta testers.)

17. Filipe Soares

that's exactly why I didn't bought the Mooer GE300, yet. the product release cycle is too short, people are releasing half ass products just to keep it up with their competitors. at some point this will change again. and I totally agree, I've never seen yamaha releasing half baked stuff.