WTB: Front Circuit Board for JCM 2000 DSL 50

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by {JAKE}, Jul 23, 2015.

1. {JAKE}

{JAKE} New Member

I am looking for a replacement front board (i.e. the board with the front panel controls and inputs). I cannot source any vendors online that sell this part. I am hoping to find someone that has one (unmolested) available for sale, for a reasonable price.

:wave:

2. Blacque Jacque

Blacque Jacque Well-Known Member

Since you're in the UK, have you tried contacting the factory ?

3. {JAKE}

{JAKE} New Member

No, you cannot purchase these parts direct from the factory. Only Marshall licensed repair people/facilities can purchase parts such as circuit boards.

I am not in the mood to pay an amp tech to replace a circuit board.

4. Blacque Jacque

Fair enough, I wish you well with your search, but since front boards are generally solid, I very much doubt you'll get one unless you can find a donor amp for parts.

Funny, some people I've spoken to have no problems getting parts direct, others tell me you must be a registered service centre. Equally well, the factory service centre pricing is pretty good.

5. Blacque Jacque

Out of curiosity, how come you need a new front board ?

6. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

Not sure what the difference is in the preamp between a 50 and 100 but maybe this will help or at least call them. Good luck.

$245 USD Currently Out of Stock, sorry
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-H219

Or perhaps these people con hook you up.
    http://www.amprepairparts.com/marshallelectronics.htm

Then again, way to go Marshall!

This is the reissue of the Marshall JCM2000 DSL, now called DSL100H. It’s a 2-channel tube head with 2 modes per channel, loop and reverb. Marshall made some changes on the DSL100H vs. the JCM2000:

The amp is now made in Vietnam instead of the UK.

The 2 JCM2000 models (DSL50 and DSL100) were consolidated into a single model that is 100w with a half-power switch.
    The old “Deep” switch was replaced by a Resonance knob.
    The -10/+4 effects loop level switch was replaced with a fx loop bypass switch and the loop now has enough range to accept either pedals or racks without any changes.
    The spring reverb was replaced by a digital reverb.
    The bias adjustment was moved to inside the amp
    The previous multi-layer PCB design was consolidated into one large PCB
    The power tube sockets are now chassis mounted.

David ♫

{JAKE} likes this.
  7. Blacque Jacque

David, that's the tube board, the OP is asking for a front board. :yesway:

8. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

My bad...I did not look at the schem but thought these sorces may indeed be able to point him in a better direction. :)

It's where I would start other than Ebay. Or reverse engineer like I do and build a PTP. ♫

Not to get off too far but it seems to me there were some problems with bias drift etc... due to extremely thin pcb's and such...IDK.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Blacque Jacque likes this.
  9. Blacque Jacque

No worries.

My guess is Marshall made the tube boards widely available because of the bias drift issues of the early versions, but since the other boards were fine, there was much less demand for replacements outside the factory. My understanding is that the bias drift was caused by poor quality pcb material in combination with having high voltage tracks too close to bias / low voltage lines, which led to dielectric breakdown of the fibreglass.

Re; building PTP; that's fine for relatively simple circuits, but there is a hell of a lot of circuitry inside a DSL & unless you were to simplify it significantly, it's really not worth the time & effort.

10. {JAKE}

{JAKE} New Member

To be fair, I haven't actually contacted Marshall myself. The information that I received regarding their parts was from the last amp tech here in the UK that serviced my amp. So I am just taking his word as gospel on the subject. I have read this on the web elsewhere as well.

The reason why I am looking for a new board, is because the one that I have currently has been modded (by myself) a touch and some of the traces have been burned up and had to be "repaired". The red channel no longer works properly.

11. {JAKE}

{JAKE} New Member

Thank you David for looking that up, but I already have a new main board (tube board) coming in the mail (hopefully) from HotRox.co.uk.

Basically, what happened was: I modded the amp up a bit. And I've had some troubles especially with noise and no gain on the red channel. Not to mention, the dreaded power tube bias drift. I bit the bullet and decided to just take the amp to two different techs, hoping to have the issue remedied, but both techs gave the amp a clean bill of health.

I am now just looking to return the amp back to stock (aside from the aftermarket OT that I installed) by replacing both the tube board and the pre amp board. I was thinking about selling the amp, but last night I was running some tests with running a Tech 21 Hot Plexi through the green channel, and I was getting some really nice full tones through it. I am thinking I want to keep this amp now. Pedals through the green channel deliver a nice fullness and (especially) a low end thump that my Class 5 and SL5 just don't seem to have. Not that I dislike those two amps, I do like them, especially the SL5. But I think I have come to the realization that nothing sounds quite like a big amp like...well a big amp. Even at lower volumes with a nice drive pedal.

Supposedly the new main board from HotRox will fix the bias drift issue. I am hoping the new pre amp board will fix the issue that I am having with the red channel. We'll see.

In the meantime, I will call over to Marshall myself and see if I can acquire a new board directly from them.

Cheers everyone,

Jake

12. {JAKE}

{JAKE} New Member

Well, was I completely wrong about getting parts from Marshall! I just got off the phone with them and I'll have a new preamp board coming through the post tomorrow! Way to go Marshall! And the price was only 65 quid shipped, which was quite a bit less than what I had expected it to be.

I will say however, that the lovely lady on the phone did ask me if I was located here in the UK. Maybe that makes a difference? I dunno.

Lesson learned, don't take anyone's word for it about buying parts directly from Marshall here in the UK.

Anyway, very happy right now. I am hoping to get this old girl back together and running right again!

Cheers to all for your help :wave::cheers:

13. roxalt

roxalt New Member

Old thread I know. I was hoping to find the part number of the front board (preamp). Thanks!