Worth keeping my 1959RR?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Theycallmesabz, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

I know that its a limited edition limited run or whatever you want to classify it, which was the main reason why I made the impulse buy when it popped into the shop one day. I'm not even a Randy fan to be honest I just knew that this amp was limited/ rare which is why i snagged it.

What I'm asking you guys is would it be worth while to hang on to it, will it increase much in value? I have no problem selling it if not because it holds no sentimental value to me.

I'd like to add that none of the documentation or amp cover is included, someone brought just the amp into the shop mint condition. It's still mint condition maybe played maybe 3 times not turned passed 2. Stored in an ATA case. (ata case not for sale)

What do you guys think?

(Please don't mislead me thinking you'll persuade me to sell it to you, because I have no intent to sell it (if i do) online. Don't like shipping stuff/insurance. I'd take it back to the shop)

2. kermitz

kermitz New Member

It's a great amp. Like all Marshall amps, it really shines at higher volumes. I don't think it will go up in price very much, but you sould have no problem selling it if you wanted to.

3. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Do you mean sell it back to the shop or return it for full refund?

4. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Dont keep it man. Sell it to me. :D

5. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

You can still buy these amps from Marshall according to their website. Or are they re-issues?

6. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

sell it to someone who will appreciate the amp.He makes his dream come true you get your money back.

7. Wiking

Wiking Active Member

I dont think these amps are gonna be very collectable in the future.
    Marshall still produces them and while sounding really great, not that special as an investment.
    Too bad you dont play it for it is a hell of an amp. Played one before and really liked it.
    Didnt buy it because I dont like signature stuff. Otherwise....I can always convert my HW with that same mod a RR has.
    Better sell it so someone who does use it, instead of holding on to it for value purpose.
    That amp needs to be played.

Now spread the word.

Super Marshall likes this.
  8. Holme

Holme Well-Known Member VIP Member

If you're not going to use it,I'd sell it.
    As Soulcaster said you can still buy them brand new.
    I wouldn't have minded one myself but it'd never get cranked :( ,hence the YJM instead.
    There's that many Marshalls available at the minute you'd be best making a shortlist of what you want from an amp & then seeing which one ticks the most boxes. :thumb:

9. bulldozer1984

bulldozer1984 Everybody's Favorite Member VIP Member

Sell the RR ?? Yeh sure.. Unless, of course, your neighbour is Ozzy Osbourne :)

Theycallmesabz likes this.
  10. Marival

Marival New Member

Seeing as how you haven't really mentioned any notion of you digging the tone of the amp, I'd say sell it.

This amp is still widely available around where I live (retail, not secondhand), so I'm guessing Marshall is still making them.. Meaning that it's not a good investment at all.

I would really like to encourage you to explore the amp some more if you haven't already, though. It's definetly not a cookie-cutter Randy emulator (much like the Slash heads aren't Slash emulators either), so you don't have to worry about being a hardcore RR fan. Without a doubt this is one of my favourite Marshall heads.

11. Led4thehed2

Led4thehed2 Active Member

Probably not

I doubt it will increase all that much in value. The only discontinued Marshall sig for comparion that I know of is the JCM Slash sig from the 90s. From what I've seen, those haven't exactly sky-rocketed in value. If this is for $, I don't think it's going to work in your favor.

Even if it does appreciate, you have to consider the power of a dollar decreases over time. $500 in 1970 has the buying power of nearly $3,000 now. Just something to consider.

Just my opinion. I could be totally wrong.

12. drewz120

drewz120 New Member

Sell it if your only intent was to gain money from it. You would be far better off investing in something else if you want a return on your money.

13. JayCM800

JayCM800 Well-Known Member

If you're smart and patient you can sell it for a profit but it won't be much, i think you'll be dissapointed of going thru the hassle of storing it for years to only earn a few hundred bucks when you sell it!

Might as well sell it now! :)

14. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

This thread highlights the whole "investment" business with instruments. Retail on these amps was quite steep. They sell both new and used today for a good deal less. This could be worth a fortune.... OR adjusted for inflation, could over time yield you 60-100% of your money, which is like parking your $ at the bank with an interest rate ranging from 0% to -4%. The question is whether you want to wait patiently enough to discover in 15-25 years that there is a RR revival or instead, that the kids have all moved on to dubstep or the tube market finally dried up and nobody wants all this old tubey crap (certainly not at a premium).

I own one myself. If it's not doing it for you, I think you are smoking something, but that's beside the point. If you don't love this thing, there is somebody who will. I think that should be the legacy of RR... the joy of playing something loved, not hoarding something unpleasant in hopes of unloading for profit. I think you should sell it for yourself and in honor of the amp's purpose.

15. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

And that's the thing. I don't even remember Blizzard of Ozz. To me this is just a white JMP I can't use because I live in an apartment. I know it's quite unfortunate I haven't had the chance to put some good solid hours of straight lovin' into the amp - I hope I'll find a Randy fan who will. Too bad Marshall didn't include an internal attenuator like the AFD100 and YJM100 have. :(

How much would a mint condition 1959RR without cover/documentation go for anyways?

16. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

If they added that junk they would have ruined the amp. this was supposed to be the closest example possible of his 1980 JMP. The amp is worth about 1500 used with no box, none of crap that comes with. There are enough 2200 NIB and <2000 used w. everything included out there.

17. rdamaral

rdamaral New Member

I'd freaking love one of those amps. I'd trade my '83 JCM for it

18. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

I wager you would since it pretty much does what a 1959 AND a 2203 does... that and its trade value is worth TWO fully serviced 2203s ;)

19. rdamaral

rdamaral New Member

Like I said, I'd trade it lol

20. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

THe shop near me was offering two of those 1959rr's brand new with no documents boxes etc... for half price!? hmmmmmmmmmm sumthin fishy going on here! DOes anybody know what happens to those display 1959rr's at guitar shows? (that doug A used to demo). Sell it in south america or india, those kids go nuts for metal things!