Workhorse guitar advice needed

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Kolanti, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Mexican and Japanese strats, Gibson Studios, Greco/Ibanez/Aria/Electra/etc.

Sustainium, jimmyjames and Kolanti like this.
  2. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I ended up building a couple of LP's from kits. I think all in Im at about a grand for both of them. Not as nice as my R7 but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to whack someone in the face with one. Bonus is they are both long neck tenon, bat necked, and real nitro finished and sound excellent. I also have a few parts casters and a mexi teli that Im not afraid to gig anywhere as fender types are more robust. I would probably be ok with gigging my CS strat almost anywhere as Fenders are just more resilient than Gibsons.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Keith Bell

Keith Bell New Member

Yes I do!! Although I don't have a ton of guitars the ones I do have are very sentimental and I still have to recoup on 2 electric guitars I traded in on a brand new Gibson Les Paul but never got it due to job loss at the time :( The 2 I traded in @ Guitar Center like a dumb A** was an old ESP LTD Horizion in see thru Purple finish with the 3=3 headstock, stock ESP pickups and tune-o-matic bridge and a pre-lawsuit PRS Tremonti SE all stock except the previous owner had a bone nut installed.

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Get a cheap used Les Paul Studio, put the pickups in it that you like best, and there you go. A very solid, high quality guitar that's not a cheapie, just basic and good in all the right ways.

5. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

So by reading the comments I come down to either an Epiphone Les Paul custom, Gibson Les Paul studio and a Gibson sgj or special.

While I really love the rusty look of a stripped down SG, I don’t like it on les pauls haha.

Fender blacktop strats are also really good and cause it’s fender it’s alreay a workhorse.

To Be honest even if I had a new Les Paul standard I wouldn’t care if the headstock broke since it can be fixed but getting stolen it’s the worst thing.

Has anyone experience with old Sheratons? I mean the ones from korea

6. AlanH

AlanH Well-Known Member

Any faded (or satin) finished Gibson is a great option.

Have you thought about a used MIJ Ibanez RG - good prices to be had there?

Also you can find great deals on satin finished PRS S2 models or, if you prefer bling, their import SE range are recommended by many as fantastic instruments for the money.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  7. AlanH

AlanH Well-Known Member

Oops - duplicate post. Edited

8. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Hell yes,one of the best guitars i ever had. 20160326_131513.jpg 20160326_131541.jpg hardly what I'd call a beater, it's just about perfect. But if price is the only indicator of value....i guess.
    Oh yeah, it cost like $450.00 with a hard case......ridiculous!
    Get one of these

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  9. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Good one on Ibanez, I've gotten stupidly good deals on them, like guitars that originally sold for over a grand for a couple hundred bux.

Mitchell Pearrow, AlanH and tce63 like this.
  10. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Gibson faded series USED...

11. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

It is good to see guitars out on safari now and then!

Mitchell Pearrow, Derek S and tce63 like this.
  12. Per

Per Member

Would certainly go for a mexican fender strat. Don't cost much, easy to modify the electronics, no real weak spots if you were to drop one and easy to replace.
    Fret access is a bit hampered by the heel of course but then it hasn't been my experience that Les Pauls are any better (admittedly, my experience with Les Pauls is limited). There should be a few neckthrough options that are better in this regard, think Jackson have a couple of hardtail options in their "Pro" series and I am sure there are some LTDs as well.

13. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Starting to see alot of Gretsch 5420's being used in the Aussie pubs these days covering all things Gibson & Fender. Probably only need to swap out pups if you really wanted to for I think 900 - 1000 US$ ... Just another good option to consider.

tce63 likes this.
  14. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Epi LP Custom Pro would be my obvious choice..I used to own one with an upgraded PU (Monotone Hot Classic)... The slim taper neck is pretty comfortable to play... The ProBucker PU I wasn't a fan of... They sure didn't sound nor have the same bite as the Burstbucker that was supposedly a direct copy of....

15. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

the mex tele/strat option is good.
    just buy some cheap banger and throw a humbucker in there, tele option is better for humbucker.
    the cheap gibsons/copies sound cheap, any audience won't be able to tell though, they'll be too busy looking at the bands haircuts, you could playing a broomstick and they wouldn't notice.

16. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

You got everything covered with your Les Paul Custom and your 2 Stratocasters . Don't downgrade when you already have the your bases covered in the tone / gear department . If anything maybe try some ThroBak Pickups and a replacement wiring harness to upgrade that Les Paul Custom www.throbak.com . I use the Throbak MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups (in 10 Les Paul's ) and wiring harness with Paper in oil Bumble Bee caps and 500k pots . Really nice beefy muscular tone thru my favorite Marshall 2555X's amps . The best part is I don't need any overdrive/distortion pedals as I have all that I need by using the footswitch going from clean to screaming peel the paint off the walls .

tce63 likes this.
  17. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

And when they're safari away we can't hear them!

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and SkyMonkey like this.
  18. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Groan!!! That was terrible.
    But still, safari, so-goodi.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and Derek S like this.
  19. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Whenever I have had gigs there were always eyes on my gear either my friends or if I stepped away the girlfriend or another family member and I never ever have had a problem outside of me breaking something on my own , which is another story for another time in a galaxy far far away .

20. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

LOL! In my defense it's not mine...stole it from the Three Stooges (lost in the jungle looking for the Safari Curly says "maybe they're safari away we'll never catch them, nyuk nyuk")

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and SkyMonkey like this.