Woke Up This Mornin And ....

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by AlvisX, Feb 12, 2019.

1. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Found myself dead.....

Got up last week and decided to plug in one of my Sears 1483's......NOTHIN ,silence, crickets chirpin,paint drying

I guess whatever the last gig I did with it was a burner .The OP tranny had given up it's last .

[​IMG]

A couple decades ago I was in a fix . Too many complaints about my cranked 50 watt whatever,from the square ass venues we were playing . I thought I needed and 18w Marshall or PA ....and at that time there were no reissues . Now ,there were PLENTY of options available ,but I was stuck on a head / cab configuration

One day while making our way back home ,we stopped in a pawnshop a couple states over. I had got to know that manager there ,who was a musician and had a tendency to cut a brother a deal.

Well, I stumbled upon the "Sears section" . I had three 1483's (the 1960's garage bass amp) and a couple Twin Twelve heads . The twin 2's ALWAYS have issues ...the reverb don't work,the trem don't work ...whatever .Just always a guaranteed pain in the ass
    BUT the 1483's were crankin pretty good...all except one

So I ask Kevin,the manager , HOW MUCH ?
    He says 70 bucks apiece . I say, But that one don't work. he says ,"You'll fix it , 70 bucks"

So I pay up and head for home. When I got home I got into the dead one . Turned out it had a blown cathode bias resistor...quick fix

I used 'em on the road for a good few years until I got tired of strugglin with em outdoors ,where they just didn't quite cut it...AND I got over the goofiness of stackin a pro junior /champ / Lead 12 on top of my cab when I needed to put a lid on it indoors . Although ,I imagine if I had my own sound guy on the road I could get away with it outdoors

I gave Audley Freed one of the 1483's for a favor he did me. I scored another one for Peter Buck,whose guitar tech is a friend of mine and had seen me using them.

With the recent demise of Sears stores , I thought it was time to pull the Sears sh*t out again

The original output trannies are about the size of a Princeton transformer,fed by 2x cathode biased 6L6. I decided to try somethin a little beefier this time
    I shoe horned a Classic Tone Thunderbolt sized tranny in there . Had to punch a couple xtra holes ,but WTF...Got it in there after a bunch o' hemmin n hawin

[​IMG]

Sounds great, Im sure it has a bit more headroom . I may get a clip with a Gibson soon...but for now some straight strat tone

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

It does sound really good. :yesway:

3. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

I have a 1483 myself....Nice clean sounds!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

They say the road to hell is paved with good intensions.Love that lick,and some tasty vox on that one too.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Active Member

Nice tone and it's a Sears Silvertone my solid state Silverton sucked, next to this. Did some company make these for Sears?

6. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Danelectro perhaps ...or whoever made amps for THEM

7. Wooferhead1

Interesting minutia, my Dad made us (family) live out of the Sears Catalog...I treasure (& use) his craftsman tool collection...

8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Dan electro did make the amps and also the sears guitars.

9. Wooferhead1

Too cool - I see people are asking crazy money for the 1483 & cab with Jensens...

10. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Sears got their American guitars from Danelectro , Kay , Harmony , in fact they owned Harmony at one point
    There even coulda been the odd Gibson . I had a Gibson made Montgomery Ward Mandolin a few years back

I never cared for the cabs. Not roadworthy. Pretty much always jacked them into a Marshall 1965 cab

The one I found for Peter Buck came with the cab , but he uses it thru a Tone Tubby cab

https://guitarpeterbuck.wordpress.com/about/

I need to get my head into Sears amp mode . If you look at the video , you'll see a Twin Twelve carcass up against the wall . Im gonna have to un-fck somebody's Louisiana engineering ......

My buddy Steve came by one day about 15 yrs ago to shoot out some 1483's, that was fun

[​IMG]

11. Wooferhead1

Now that's something you don't see every day...cool

12. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Very nice amps!! I lucked into 3 of these in various states of preservation a few years ago. The ugly one I decided to have some fun with. I turned the ground switch into a mod switch, with a cathode bypass cap on the 2nd gain stage and the power tubes.

The stock tone was great but with the boost engaged it absolutely roared. I ended up trading it for a MIM Strat and the guy who got it loved it.

I kept the fubar amp and gave the nicest one back to the guy I got them from. He had the matching cabinet and practically gave the amps to me so it seemed like the right thing to do. I did a cap job on it for him but left it stock otherwise.

13. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

BTW , the combo amp pictured with Steve above is a Valco made Airline ( Montgomery Wards name brand) . One 6V6 output w/ trem & spring reverb ,10" Jensen alnico. It was a VERY GOOD Surf amp . I got it at a flea market in SF for $75
    I'd still have it except my local used store in Memphis at the time had two 8x10 cabinets , a big box and a small box. I traded that amp and a bolt on MIJ Explorer copy for the big box 8x10 and Joe Perry bought the small box