Why the hate for the Marshall MG30CFX?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by MichaelWells, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

It's a snobbery cork sniffer thing.... always is because it's not the flagship top of the line most expensive what the pros use for touring amp....

it's been my experience that in all tones, it's always the user's ability to use the equipment that makes the most difference.

Everyone has a different idea of tone, if you like what you hear and how the amp interacts to your style and guitar, then flip your finger to the haters.

I get all kinds of grief because I am using the new DSL100H with stock 1960B cabs (G12T-75 speakers) and it's hilarious... however once we start playing, it's all praise and compliments, and those dudes standing in the back with their arms crossed judging can't be pleased anyways because that's all they want to do.

Kurt Cobain said it best....

If it sounds good it is good... period.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  2. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Well-Known Member VIP Member

The original DFX series were better because they had the Contour control. When they omitted that in the CFX series they made it just another face in the overcrowd.
    I call the CFX's the "Poopy Scoopy" amps. There's just no mids to be had.

3. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

And then people ask why they get lost in the mix :shrug:

4. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

That is AWESOME.

I think you've got a point there.. I actually played through a used 4100 at GC not too long ago and I liked it, not a ton of gain on tap but I thought it sounded pretty good.

OP, nothing wrong with MG amps, I think a lot of the bashing comes from people who have to have tube or nothing else and from people who have not played them. Would a touring pro musician play an MG combo? Probably not but do you need the same gear as a touring pro? Probably not. I will also mention I think some of the issue comes with quality too, from what I have seen of the MG amps they are not that well made, cheap materials and speaker magnets the size of a half dollar. There is room to improve but for the price I think they are pretty good.

5. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Active Member

Yup. On my DFX I learned pretty quick, that you have to know enough to use the Contour control instead of just "pegging" it.. I suspect too many people just turn ALL the knobs to 11 instead.

And then there's the "Only tubes are good but they all stink too" crowd. :scratch:

6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Well-Known Member VIP Member

On the MS-2, I was in a theater church group many moons ago who were changing over to a "silent stage". That meant I could no longer use my JVM half stack anymore. So for laughs, the next time I showed up for a rehearsal I set an MS-2 where my half stack usually was. It was too loud.

True story.

Roca likes this.
  7. Roca

Roca New Member

NICKLEBACK!!! ~shudders~

iron broadsword likes this.
  8. Allterr

Allterr Active Member Premium Member Premium Member

I have read in a few places that Zakk Wylde uses the MG's for practice on the road and at home, so I'm guessing there's at least one pro that likes them. I know he has/had a Sig series MG.

9. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I tried one once when I first started playing. It wasn't bad. It could do AC/DC pretty good. I always thought the MG30 was a decent amp with good features. The only point that I could make about the MG's is Marshall needs to stop making them. Tell me if I am wrong but if you look at the used market there are floods of them everywhere. I would think there be one for everybody because there are so many. Now of course they reissued them again as the gold series. There are too many and they need to stop making them.

10. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

When I was just starting out as a know-it-all 14 year old, I gave the MG series a lot of grief because that's what all the kids at Guitar Center were riffing "Smoke on the Water" over and over again with.

I ended up starting out with a 30-watt Crate SS amp.

In hindsight, the MG series would have wiped the floor with that Crate, but I didn't know anything about tone at the time.

Over time, I've become a massive fan of good, analog solid state amps. I don't know if I'd choose an MG over a Peavey Transtube Series or the newer Orange Crushes, but I'd certainly like to give one of the new ones a shot.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  11. Roca

Roca New Member

I literally took my orange crush back to get my MG. LOL

12. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Member

My first Marshall was an MG50DFX. Loved the thing at the time. Of course once I tried a tube amp, it lost favor. It's really let down by the speaker. When I got a 4x12 1960a cab, it sounded GREAT through it.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I like my 100hdfx..great just to plug in and wail...I have plenty of tube amps, and it aint a tube amp..but there are good tones to be had in there..but the heads are ugly...oh wait.. I fixed it! 20180715_142041.jpg

14. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I have an old MG30RCD that I played for years. A buddy is using it now at home, as a practice amp. It was my first Marshall amp.

It didn't sound too terrible, for what it is.

15. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

I have one of the newer gold series MG 100 h’s and for what it is I like it... Surely its not a tube, but it is a great rig and it does take pedals well too..
    The interweb has bashed the MG series bad, and honestly I could give a rats ass, if it sounds good to you, and you enjoy it thats all that matters!
    All the amps I have are all Marshall tubes except my MG n Code H... Sure bring me enjoyment, so rock on and enjoy it...

16. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

No hate here. I have an MG100HDFX and an MG10. The HDFX often goes to rehearsals and goes to every gig with me as a backup - it's named "Murphy." I know of whatever head im using that night decides not to work, the MG will. And the 10 is my go-to late night practice amp. Headphones on, iPod into the auxiliary input, and we're jamming.

17. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Agreed!
    When all else fails the MG is always a great standby, I have been to a few of our local spots and a couple of them had MG’s when their tubes took a dump, finished the sets with their MG’s and the crowd enjoyed the rest of the nights sets... Maybe the old ones had a dependablity issue, but the head I have has never let me down.

18. Roca

Roca New Member

I love how the last few posts were about different models other than what the post asked about. Let's stay focused.

19. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

:realmad:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  20. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's a 3 year old thread. The op hasn't been seen here since 2015. And the point of my post was that the mg line in general gets a bad rap so yes pretty much on topic..but thanks for patroling the area.:)

Roca and FutureProf88 like this.