Why is there a Nippon Gakki sticker on my SLP?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by assquatch20, Jan 25, 2020.

1. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

And what else can you tell me about this amp based on the panels? It's got a '76 serial number. I bought it from an amp tech buddy who thought it might have toggle switches instead or rockers because it's from a transitional period or something like that. He also seemed to think it might've been for the Canadian market, IIRC. Not sure if that's related to the switches or the sticker or even true.

I'd like to replace the 50w switch that someone added with a MV maybe. Considering replacing the front and rear panels with ones that have new lettering, or attempting to have them printed on these panels again, but they've got character as-is.

Anyhow, your input is appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

3. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

That's a good idea.

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

it's easier to get an idea of what you've got, if we can see some clear photos of what you actually have got...

5. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

Just plain forgot. They're up now.

6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I think it was for the Japanese market, imported by Nippon Gakki.

Japan ran 100V main power back in those days. Is it possible that the added switch might actually be a hard wired 100V selector switch, rather than a half power switch?
    Considering that the switch is actually in the mains position, that really makes complete sense.

It'd make sense that Nippon Gakki would put their label on it if they'd done a voltage mod to it.

How to tell: If that switch is in the 100V position then the amp will be running over voltage if plugged into 120v. Every internal voltage will be about 20 percent over spec.

7. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

The sticker itself reads "AC 120" on it, though it's kinda hard to see there in my picture as it's faded quite a bit. The old label above the switch reads "100 W" and you can make out how the missing lower label read "50 W".

I'm pretty sure my tech buddy recapped it before I bought it from him and so he had a look under the hood and tells me it's a 50w switch. I believe him, given the evidence. That said, I do need to inspect transformers at some point. Pretty sure they're original but they could be something funky as well.

I can barely solder a guitar but I'd like to try a MV mod with the pot where the 50w switch is at some point, so I'll have to get familiar with this thing sooner or later.

8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

This amp was made for USA if it says 120V I saw that. Japan is 100 volts.

9. Matthews Guitars

Since there's no voltage selector, it'd be hard wired to the voltage of the country it was meant to be exported to. So I was thinking that might be just a dual voltage switch mod. Just speculating. One position for 100v mains, one for...whatever other was chosen by the builder/modder.

assquatch20 likes this.
  10. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

This is kinda like my Canadian theory. I'd read of a GA-5 amp that had some sort of tranny swap to run on a different voltage that was being either in Canada or specifically on a Canadian military base of some sort, back in the day. I figured this amp might've once dealt with different voltages as well, but it's hard to say just yet.

11. JLBIII

JLBIII Well-Known Member

I thought the JMP heads with a polarity switch were only for the Ameican market.

assquatch20 likes this.
  12. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Pull the chassis and find out what that togle switch is all about . Pull all tubes and power up and check plate voltage and bias if close good to go

13. Matthews Guitars

I've only ever seen the polarity switches on the front panel next to the power switch. I can't imagine any reason to have one on the back panel when having it on the front was always an option.

14. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 1st new member 2020 VIP Member

Web search:

What does Nippon Gakki mean?

The company was originally named Nippon Gakki, which translated means 'Japan musical instruments'. It was changed to Yamaha Corporation in 1987. In 1887 Torakusu Yamaha created his own version of the reed organ before starting his own business in Hamasatsu.

It was a Japanese company.

Read more here.

JacksonCharvelAddict and mcblink like this.
  15. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

Try Googling "nippon gakki marshall", though, and you'll see there's no online record of any association between the two. Maybe somebody just slapped it on there, who knows...

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  16. Matthews Guitars

Maybe it was serviced by the company or they had a music store it was sold through. Or maybe someone just stuck the sticker on there for his own reasons.

17. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 1st new member 2020 VIP Member

Logically speaking, I wouldn't expect to find any history claiming a "Nippon Gakki Marshall". They were merely a music company who put their sticker on their stock so someone might know where it was purchased from. Seems to me you're expecting something more in terms of what goes on today, where for example, you could hypothetically see a special run of Marshalls made for Guitar Center, hence, a Guitar Center tag or serial number. But nothing of the kind existed back then. Moreover, for all we know, the amp (and every other musical instrument sold by N.G.) was stickered with the N.G. name.

If the amp were mine, I wouldn't bother getting forensic about this. The facts are that the Marshall in the OP appears to be a 60's/70's model, which matches the history of the N.G. company because of the sticker. That would be enough for me. Beyond that we're probably talking fingerprints, location-based atom-matching and a series of DNA tests. Good luck with that.

I would think a much bigger concern would be in the direction of what kinds of molestations have been done to the amp since the day it left the factory. If nothing else, it would be a fair assumption that, if it operates and sounds relatively healthy, then at least the original tubes and filter caps must have been replaced by now.

See what I'm sayin'?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  18. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Interesting read, Vin. Thanks for posting this.

19. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

Understood.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  20. Exotic

Exotic Active Member

" why is there a nippon gakki sticker on my slp?"

um because someone put it there? :applause: :agreed: