Why Don't Hard Rock & Metal Bands Do Well In America?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Vinsanitizer, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Ahhh come on now bro, you ain’t gotta like it, just have to take one for the team. :cheers:

DaDoc and stringtree like this.
  2. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

I saw a recent clip of them and didn't like it.

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I don't think GVF sound much like LZ at all. To me, they sound more like the Black Crows. The singer tries to copy Plant some, but not really like LZ at all...

4. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

I hear LZ in GVF, more so the vocals too, and some in the songwriting, but the guitarist is no Jimmy Page..

But to be fair, he does not have to be. He holds his own for who they are.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Dogs of Doom

nor do they have John Paul Jones nor Bonham...

which means, they really don't sound like Zeppelin... :)...

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  6. stringtree

Thats just to damn funny!! :dude: and its true!:metal:

7. Dogs of Doom

now, I think these guys have way more authentic Zeppelin influence musically. Listen to the drums, bass, guitar & vocals. It isn't Zeppelin, but, you can hear the influence & it's real...

8. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

heh heh
    Those bass walks and those half time shuffles thown in here and there.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  9. Dogs of Doom

the bass player reminds me more of Noel Redding, than JPJ, though...

10. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 1st new member 2020 VIP Member

I heard those guys a while back, they're a band I like. Lot's of Joplin in that song, a genuine vibe.
    Quite befitting for me this morning with some coffee, as it were. :coffee: :yesway:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  11. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

:coffee: oh yeah just groovin and kicken back some caffeine...

12. Teryn

Teryn Well-Known Member

I think the hardest part about seeing the decline of rock, is wanting to do something about it, but have nothing to offer. I try to listen to the radio to hear new stuff... but that's all it has become to me. "Stuff". I utilize YouTube and Spotify, searching. Just more stuff with a zinger once in a long while. But the zinger is usually only one elemant in a song. Like Halestorm's new song "Do Not Disturb"... I find the music intriguing. And let's all be honest... the song is sexy. But that's all I feel for it.
    I'm also quite bored with being inspired. Every other song is about standing up or being strong or fighting for this or that... yawn. Yawnnnnn... I only want to fight... for my right... to partyyyyy... no seriously, the heart of rock has become gospel music and it sickens me. :confused::noplease:

13. Teryn

Teryn Well-Known Member

But griping about something and then not having a solution, helps absolutely no one.

On that depressing note, I have to go rub elbows with corporate big wigs and hate my life some more.

Toodles!

14. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Music in general likes to change to accommodate each generation, at least here in the US, goes without saying. Nothing stays on top or in vogue forever. As soon as a new crop of youths reach a certain age they don't want to have anything to do with the previous gen, not the fashion, music, movies, nothing. Even if it was good. Doesn't matter. It's old. Sure, some, SOME, seek out music of the past and check into it and even like it, but not the masses, they want THEIR peers music in their phones, cars, players, etc. Metal, Rock, Rockabilly, Pop, Blues, Techno, Motown, Swing, etc, all the radio/tv friendly genres, it all has a limited lifespan here with the general population. Sooner or later each generations music eventually gets relegated to "classic" and "oldies" stations. I remember the first time I heard a musak version of a Journey song in a grocery store haha! I knew I was OLD!! There are some pockets around the world where hard rock and metal still get good radio play, which has always been the case, I mean look at all the leftover 80's bands (and shredders too), they have long since been gigging way more in Europe and elsewhere because by comparison, it's hardly worth it here...but...it won't last forever (sadly).

If you're older and riding in a car with a teen and you turn on the radio and start scrolling stations, as soon as you hit something from the previous gen or back, their ears know it's old and they've already made up their mind they don't want to listen, doesn't matter what it is, all they know is it's nothing from their current gen so they're not exactly interested. And it works in reverse too. As soon as a kid hits the button and a current hit starts playing, mom or dad immediately know it's nothing from an older gen and are also not impressed and don't want to listen either lol. Sad but true. So yeah, never mind hard rock/metal here, that's not really the issue, if it's simply not new music, it's tired. Even the garbage kids love today, where "DJ's" pretend to be "musicians" playing and dancing about to droning tones and sampled beats that don't even sound anything like acoustic drums...this will also eventually be outdated crap that others will scoff at (sorry kiddo's lol, but it's true). As for why pop country keeps having an audience...that is the real mystery. All just my O of course.

15. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 1st new member 2020 VIP Member

There are those who wear music as fashion, and then there are those who love music - a love which transcends the "generation" limitation.

Teryn, mcblink and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. stringtree

my mistake....

17. Derek S

Yep, totally agree, for SOME, the music itself is paramount and they don't care as much about current trends - but sadly that doesn't apply to the majority, the kids who love Cardi B and the like.

It took me a LONG time to grow into the music my folks loved when I was a certain age. My ma used to wear out Steely Dan, The Guess Who, and shh, Gordon Lightfoot lol. My dad loved anything with great harmonies, The Eagles, The Zombies, The Beatles, etc. I hated all of it when I was a kid....Now I enjoy every bit of it and I totally get why they loved what they did about it. I have a "vintage" playlist I take on long runs sometimes that's loaded with all the listed bands and find myself singing along, listening to the bass lines, etc. The golden age...shame it went away and pretty much only lives in our vaults now.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Derek S

My gf's daughter farted deeply once in front of us and when her mom said WTH?! Really? She replied "You know I'm all about that bass!" I had tears in my eyes laughing.

edit: ^^^ that's not a knock on the song btw, it's a good tune with a throwback vibe...the video just triggered the funny memory.

19. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Then you haven’t paid ,ugh attention. There’s plenty of video available of them playing Led Zep as a tribute band (badly). Then up until the first full LP most of what they did was ripped LZ riffs and melodies. They used to admit they were trying to sound like LZ but then something changed.

Sorry...I’m a bit sensitive about it. You don’t get to blatantly use LZ’s sound and riffs and claim it’s all you.

20. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I suspect hard rock and metal are alive and well in America, you just gotta know where to find it. :shrug:

Mitchell Pearrow and Derek S like this.