Why Don't Hard Rock & Metal Bands Do Well In America?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Vinsanitizer, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

Not sure...

DaDoc likes this.
  2. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Kurt Cobain? Hmm, interesting observation..I wasn't a huge fan either, but I have to agree he was quite influential. Which is maybe why so many of the bands influenced by him tend to head off on the whole depressed, whiney, "poor me" tangent that seems to be popular with the kids these days. He was a definitely a groundbreaker for that style of songwriting.

Like I said, there's still some good music, as well as some good songwriter/musicians out there, ya just gotta dig deep to find them..And they're sure as hell not what's being hyped as what is supposed to be cool/hip by the corporate machine nowadays.

Another thing is that back in the old days the entertainment industry was more broken up, you had the movie people, TV people , music people, ect..And although there was a lot of crossing over between them it's different today..Now it's become more of a single entitiy..SNL became the springboard for a movie career, the Disney kids started becoming the music biz stars, and so on..

Hopefully there will continue to be influential artists, but right now it looks like one may have to look for them on places like youtube rather than the mainstream media.

stringtree, Wooferhead1 and 67Mopar like this.
  3. Teryn

Teryn Well-Known Member

I actually approve of this dragon worm thing. Idk why, but I find worms appealing. They stay underground unless it rains, they're both male and female so gender stereotypes and norms are invalid and completely unassumed, they're great for the environment... and add in the breathing fire thing and you can rule out being used for bait. Dragon worm.

NEXT BAND NAME. :headbanger:

4. Wooferhead1

Watch out their might be copyright issues...there's video game out there Secret of Mana: Dragon Worm. Great band name though...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Teryn

Teryn Well-Known Member

Ice Dragon Worm and the Destruction of Mankind. IDWM. I'll add something in parentheses too... itll make it edgier.

(The fire that spews from my mouth is sarcasm, btw)

Mitchell Pearrow and Wooferhead1 like this.
  6. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Nirvana is the last band I followed too. I still think Nevermind is a Great CD. Its the type of CD that imo needs to be listened to from start to finish without skipping around to get it, at least once. My take on this comes from being a songwriter first.

3 piece band playing together for the sake of the song.
    Cobain took what Little Richard, Lennon, McCartney, and others with the vocal scream to the next level. Cobain owned it.

Cobains technique of vocal contrast within the song, as well as the arrangement of the songs themselves is genius.

He is using his voice like light and dark, salt and pepper, bitter and sweet. Its not just his voice, its the instrumentation and song arrangment in the context of the whole CD too.

The transition from In Bloom to Come As You Are, where the clean guitar leads off. Come As You Are to Breed slow to fast. Breed to Lithium having the the guitar riff leading off and tempo change of the song also catch the Beatle reference Yea Yea Yea to She Loves You, something Lennon did not want to be singing later in there career.

Polly takes the level down, a nice break in the CD. Territorial Pissings begins with the same naked vocal and jumps back into punk rock, Territorial Pissings is very unmelodic taking you into a superb melodic Drain You sour to sweet. You have to listen to both to get this.
    First half of the CD lots of energy as opposed to the second half is brought down, its that contrast again..

The CD ends unlike how it begun, very rebellious instruments and vocals..White albumish..number 9, number 9....

Side note, Grohl and Novoselic were not into the Beatles.
    Listen for all these types of contrasts taking place through out the songs, instruments, and voice. They exploit this and its Masterfully done.:dude:

Know one has to like the CD, but at least appreciate what its offering, no...

Just my :2c:....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  7. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Apple killed the record industry. Bush killed rock.

Those of us that came up with punk rock (there was no punk rock ever made with any amp after the JCM800) remember DIY and how to MAKE your band and crowd have play and have fun. We cut vinyl. We dupped cassettes. We burned CDs. A few got eaten by the wolves and made the last mainstream rock in America. Then a new generation of players fell prey to the idea that you could spend 2 minutes uploading a years work and Apple/iTunes and some “organic internet” thing would help them “make it”.

If you aren’t beating the pavement to book shows and find likeminded players, then enjoy your looper pedal and iTunes.

DaDoc and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Maybe, but they aren’t named Greta VonFleet. The saddest thing I ever saw...they actually have convinced themselves that their bad tribute band invented the Zeppelin sound. If you want to sound just like Zeppelin, then F’ing play and credit Zeppelin.

9. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I'd rather listen to Nirvana than Bring Me The Horizon any day of the week ...

10. stringtree

I thought Bring Me The Horizon was a name of a song... man am I out of touch..

Thats not for me either..

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

W...
    T...
    F...

12. stringtree

I don't understand the instrumentation going on. Is that synths in the background.

I hear at times, some of this music at the gym being played. It seems like this, a wash of synths being used. The drums and bass seem fadded out, like the difference between new blue jeans and a fadded pair. The drums and bass are there but there not, the color / sound of them has gone out...

This new music would not inspire me to play...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  13. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I watched it twice.

It's way better when it's muted lol

14. stringtree

:funny: right on mcblink, you just made my Day! :dude:

mcblink likes this.
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

This is rock?:rofl: :wtf: :wow: I can find far better music in people’s Utube channels :nono:

stringtree and Dogs of Doom like this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:woot: :wallbash: :slash: :pirate::drunk:

stringtree likes this.
  17. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I turned it off twice, sounds/looks better when it's off altogether... :)...

18. Wooferhead1

I won't waste my time...next?

19. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Glad I dint push play:rofl:

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  20. stringtree

I started the day listening to Nirvanas Nevermind, the whole CD and then some! :dude:

So I've had there tunes going in my head all day! :metal: