Why Don't Hard Rock & Metal Bands Do Well In America?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Vinsanitizer, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Seems like the best markets are UK, Japan, Europe, Netherlands, Sveden, etc., even Canada, everywhere but the US. All's we get here is Lady Blah Blah and the rest of the iHeart radio and classic rock schlock.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    DaDoc, MarshallDog and stringtree like this.
  2. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

When I turn on the 99.7 the Blitz here in Cowlumbus newer stuff sounds whiny, emotive (??) and overly processed. Basically all sounds like Linkin Park to me who I thought were a bunch of fucking wankers and lacks the balls of the Sword or Mastodon. As far as Hard Rock stuff goes...Clutch is the only band out there IMO.

Maybe I just don't listen to enough Metal and terrestrial radio isn't the place to go.

3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

women buy around 54 percent / Female persons, 51% of population
    older people actually buy the most music / Persons 65 years and over 15% of population
    Black or African American = 13% of population
    Asian = 6% of population
    Hispanic or Latino = 18% of population

See above for starters
    "What's wrong with the USA?" !!! The birth place of jazz, the blues, rock n roll , soul and rhythm & blues music.
    Get outta here Vin! This is what's right about the U.S.A.

BP

stringtree likes this.
  4. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Because record labels stopped signing real rock bands in favor of garbage pop rock they could sell to the masses. IE, nickelback, shinedown, imagine dragqueens. The rebellion rock n roll stood for is gone and metal is now just a regurgitated chugging caricature of what it once was. All the riffs sound the same. Every singer copies Phil Anselmo. Bands started chasing money and it shows.

Phony iommi, DaDoc, wakjob and 4 others like this.
  5. Bloodrock

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll has been officially replaced by “bitches, drugs, guns, and gold teeth.

AlanH, Georgiatec, keennay and 12 others like this.
  6. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

Music for youth is now about the packaging and the presentation-not the music.

"Today's 'stars' are nothing more than video created characters that rely too much on flashing lights, back up dancers, video editing to make them look like they're actually singing and much much more."

7. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

The real route has been changed. Instead of honing ones craft in clubs, one goes to American Idol, The Voice and such.

AlanH, tubes, Chrome and 1 other person like this.
  8. BanditPanda

That's part of the equation( the visual part) however it still comes down to what is playing on the head phones, flash drives , play lists , and commercial radio.
    Packaging may catch the consumers eyes but that may not necessarily grab the listeners ears.
    BP

9. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

The fans in other countries are more rabid for metal. Seems they can't get enough. I think the younger generations in those other countries seem to like aggressive music. Here it is just the opposite.
    Younger generations don't care much about guitar music in the USA. Music here is like twinkies , flave of the day

10. BanditPanda

"The music leading the way? Hip-hop and R&B – a rapid-rising genre that, with 31 percent of the market, is definitively the most popular music in the country these days. (Rock & roll, which led for decades, ceded the throne in 2017 and is now at 23 percent." RS

11. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

C-rap is king at the moment.yuk..

MarshallDog likes this.
  12. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Seriously...

I've heard SoCal white guys talk about how touring Latin America is the realistic goal if you want to eat, and Germany-Netherlands-Scandinavia-EasternEurope-Japan is the dream

LA music scene? USA tours without a cowboy hat and a telecaster? Nope, not interested, not if you have future ambitions apparently

13. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Telecasters and cowboy hats now were talking.

When heavy metal was more popular it was packaged as much as today's pop acts are. Art forms get watered down by corporations and then it starts to suck. In some ways I think it's better that rock is not so popular anymore.

From what I've heard of some of the international metal I don't think we're missing too much though.

BowerR64 and stringtree like this.
  14. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

What is your definition of 'doing well'?

If I could make a living doing what I love most -playing music- I'd consider myself to be doing well.

Just because I'm not swimming in pussy and cocaine doesn't necessarily mean I'm not doing well.

15. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Eddie Trunk had a radio show talking about WASP. Long story short, they don't tour the US because the venues are too small and they don't make the money in the states that they do across the pond.

It's been dead before. The pussy rock era (as I called it back in the day...Cinderella, Poison, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Winger, Def Leatard...) blamed Seattle but really Guns n Roses came out and smacked everyone in the face. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam just nailed the lid shut.

We are due for that to happen again....all those bands back in the day Melvins, L7, Gruntruck, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Rollins Band, and Jane's Addiction. It's kind of like the bands that came out of the late 60's/early 70's ….Led Zeppelin, the Who, The Stones, The Doors, Beatle, Hendrix, Cream, Black Sabbath, James Gang, Free, and Ac/DC.

One main difference from back in the day that does not happen now...bands don't go from commercial success to cool. I'm thinking the Beatles, The Stones, and the Who specifically. I could care less about the early to mid 60's stuff.

16. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

Seems like most of the local FM stations are busy playing the 30 year old top 20, over and over. It's sad they rarely toss anything new into their programming, and if they do it last for a couple weeks (Volbeat), then it's back to Bob Seger...I surf the stations, and find the same song playing simultaneously...lately it's either Boston or 40 year old Rush Fly by Night, please...kill me now...lol

17. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

yep Atlanta is full of this.
    we have a classic rock station that plays on loop.
    getting sick and tired of classic rock now too.

18. BanditPanda

Yes, yes it does.!:h5:
    BP

19. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

American music has become too fragmented and specialized. It now has become commentary on several sub cultures that have little in common with each other. It no longer is about things that cut across cultural boundaries.

Another factor is that American music is no longer rooted in blues and jazz.

Cultural commentary on modern European culture is not relevant to modern American culture and the same.

tubes and stringtree like this.
  20. Bloodrock

I agree completely. It’s overdue to happen again. When I look back at all the awesome diverse band from the 90’s that followed hair metal, you gotta think it will happen again. People were ready for something new and got it, tons of it. But sadly it seems now that record labels just want to play it safe releasing the same crap over and over in a different package. Just look at modern country, every album is some d-bag singing about beer, trucks, dogs, and tractors.