Why Do You Play In Or Want Or Not Want To Be In A Band?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, May 28, 2019.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I to am tired of covers, I am trying to put together a garage band of original material, maybe a couple of covers, but good bass players are hard to come by!
    Cheers Mitch

Derek S and Cadorman like this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

That and my live rig is about to get more explosive!!
    :agreed:

Cadorman likes this.
  3. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I am just too busy right now and too lazy to do anything else lately.

Cadorman likes this.
  4. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member

If I could make $75k with my expenses covered I would be all over it.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Me too

6. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Think of it as like football (soccer)
    All well and good to practise technique, fitness and skill, but ultimately the way to express yourself is as part of a team.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  7. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I just got the luke warm story from a drummer I met at a session a few months back.

After decades of drumming. he's thinking of hanging it up or just "not into" going through the grind.

I know the feeling.

Velvet Revolver took a year to find their singer and he was a junky.

The quest goes on.

8. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

"To feel that warm thrill of confusion that space cadet glow"

9. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

10. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

"Music has nothing to do with the music industry"

Where have I heard this?

Anyway, some musician "buddies" bailed on me and my dream band is kaput.

Guitarist available...............again.

F$$K those pu$$ies.

I'm in a fetal position now.

11. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

That's too bad. It's hard to find a group of musicians with the requisite level of abilities who have the same goal as you. Keep on looking.

12. MarshallGuySC

MarshallGuySC Member

I'm in a 4 piece classic rock cover band in the Charlotte, NC area and like it a lot. There's something very different about playing live with other musicians. I'm in my mid 40's and have been playing over 35 years and the same goes for all of us. We have a combined 125+ years of experience. To keep it from being a chore, we found and use a great sound guy who lugs all the PA stuff to the gigs, sets up, runs all the lights and cables & breaks down so all we really do is bring our guitars & amps & rigs... Drums...and plug in. It makes a world of difference. We pay him a few hundo and are able to pocket $300-500 each on average.

We all don't want to play much more than once a month to also keep it from being a chore. We all have good jobs and really use it to purchase gear. That being said, if it were up to me, I'd be perfectly fine just jamming where we rehearse once a week. I'm still playing live, it's more relaxed and not one whole day (basically) of the weekend shot when you consider the hours ahead of time we usually meet up, load in, soundcheck, then hang around before we play. It's a labor of love, but over the 5 years I've been doing it, we've been able to get about $2000-3000 per gig, pretty much based in our reputation. We now have quite a few folks who show up for gigs. We play a 3 hour set with not much of a break. But again... The day it's decided no more live gigs and we'll just jam once a week... I'll rejoice. Playing in front of folks satisfies no part of my (non) ego... I almost feel embarrassed up there, lol. Folks seem to like it though

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  13. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Wow, you guys make good money down there. Up here in the Northeast $1k is a very very good paying bar/club gig.

Played a gig last weekend a/c was broken it was at least 100 degrees in the place. Four hours, place was packed and I took home $100 lol. But if we didn’t play live gigs I prob wouldn’t play the guitar anymore, so...

14. MarshallGuySC

MarshallGuySC Member

Wow, yes those hot gigs make you wonder why you're doing it. Don't get me wrong, 5 years ago, when we started this... We did gigs for $500, just to get our name out there. We also were setting up our own PA, running all the cables, etc... But nowadays, we get a lot of gigs through a booking agency, and do a lot of outdoor festivals, country club (very cushy gigs) & private shows, etc... I guess you could say we've gotten picky. In fact, after this summer, after a couple 95 degree outdoor gigs, we've decided not to take those anymore. There's always a risk (it seems, with our luck) of evening downpours, and it's simply not worth it to any of us, for the $500...id rather have the day back to be with the kids, etc. One advantage with the booking agency gigs, is that even if it's a rainout, we still get paid. We were headlining the Saturday night slot at The Taste of Charlotte festival here in the city and it was a monsoon of rain... We still got paid the $2000 and the gig was canceled.

15. progrockabuse

progrockabuse Member

I was in a 4 piece classic rock/indie covers band for 6-7 years, fairly regular gigs. About a year ago I had the opportunity to fulfil my dream and become an Ambulance Technician. I explain this to my bandmates and had their support in my quest. About a few months into training, I was unable to commit to the default rehearsal slot. I was hoping that we would be able to come to a working compromise, but it was literally 3 against 1 and I was told to either practice at the default slot or leave. I miss gigging, as it was a much-needed release for my mind when things get a bit much.

16. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Yeah it is the exception rather than the norm when it isn’t worth it. If there are people there rocking out I’m happy. We mostly do the same 4-5 venues, get decent pay for the time, drink for free and have a lot of fun. You are right—private/surprise parties and weddings are where the money is

17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I subbed for a guitar buddy of mine 2 months ago.

I e mailed the band leader the day after I did the gig and told him that I'm interested in the band.

He e mailed me 2 weeks later and said he'd like to sit down with me and talk about the band.

Never heard from him.

That was 6 weeks ago.

Today, I got this......

"Hi Lou. We are looking to permanently replace Matt and I'm wondering if you are interested. Our next gig is on August 30th at City Streets. I also want to start booking gigs for the Fall, but need to have committed players in place before I do. Let me know if you are interested and want to get together and talk. Thanks"

I don't want to be an insurance policy and definately don't want to be used.

MarshallGuySC likes this.
  18. MarshallGuySC

MarshallGuySC Member

Sometimes the time delay is just the way things work out, especially if everyone has daytime jobs, summer vacations, etc. I'd just meet up with him, get a full list of the songs you need to know, ask what expenses are taken out of the gross, and if the percentages are evenly divided despite you not being an "original" member (if not, I'd walk, but...) It could be an innocent or simple reason why you might feel like an afterthought, though

19. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, the after thought seems to be what is driving this guy.

My buddy (Matt) told me not to bother......"they're looking for another guitar player"......:wtf:

This other guitarist has been an off and on again thing for weeks.

I did a gig with them.

Learned 58 songs.

My heart wasn't into it.

I couldn't wait for the gig to end.

I was paid and I left.

MarshallGuySC likes this.
  20. MarshallGuySC

MarshallGuySC Member

Gadzooks! 58 songs!
    OK I'm with you then. Wow