Why Do You Play In Or Want Or Not Want To Be In A Band?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, May 28, 2019.

1. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I've played in many bands from 1967 to 1995 and, since the late 90's, have been a gun for hire.

Bands, IMO, are safe when there's no soap opera.

Things will go downhill when drama comes in.

I do love playing with others and I'm fine with playing with those more accomplished than me.

My ego is somewhat on a leash.

When the, "why are you here"? thing is said, I'm gone.

Honesty, talent and companionship are key.

A band is special when music is the priority.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    MarshallDog, netlocal, JLBIII and 9 others like this.
  2. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

I love writing songs, promoting original music shows & doing food & clothing drives with some outreach. Hope we get out playing again soon..off to the studio today for song 2 on CD 3 since hiatus. I enjoy seeing a riff or some words scratched on paper turn into something people listen to & rock out to live. The whole process from song conception to gear choice to recording is my passion.

3. MoreAmpsPlease

MoreAmpsPlease Active Member

It's been a struggle for me to get anybody to play with regularly because the first two drummers I ever played with were *really* good. I love to play rhythm and lock in with the drummer and without that, it just doesn't work for me. Also, I'm getting older and can't play loud anymore, so the older gent's I do get to play with tend to compensate for their own hearing loss by playing EVEN LOUDER. I have no desire to wreck whatever is left of my hearing just to play covers in the typical cover band set list. I never want to hear that Doors roadhouse song again much less play it.

The other thing I find really annoying is the "businesslike" attitude some have towards the band thing. Like some "time is money" thing. Man, if it's not going to be fun, I'm out because it's not like there is any money on the line. $150 a weekend was good money in high school in the seventies when my other job was fry cook at 2.25/hr, but not now.

I see these ad's for singers and frontmen, but they put such a box around what they're willing to do, like how many singing, rhythm and lead frontmen to they think even exist in their area code? And only with the narrow range that they have? And only on their terms?

So now, I'm just working on improving my vocals and playing together plus getting in better shape. 4 to 7 miles 5 days a week, lifting at the gym for 3. Maybe I'll try it again sometime, but for now, I don't have much motivation to push it.

To me, the sound that the band makes together has to be musical. Like some bands are just everybody playing their karaoke part, playing in time but not with their ears. The bass and drums aren't a unit. There is no dynamics in the playing, nobody plays off each other.

Okay, I'll stop ranting now. Hope you all are having better luck than myself!

4. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Ive played regular from 1982 til early 90's.
    Then raised 2 kids & ran a business, that was priority.
    Around here the local music scene is anemic compared to 20+ years ago.
    Bars here will let anyone that shows up play and alot of those acts aren't up to snuff.
    Alot of the local players still gigging i know from back in the day.
    Only bands that gig regular are tribute bands & blues bands.
    They allow smoking in alot of the bars here and i just cant take the tobacco in closed spaces anymore.
    Plus ive been sober almost 20 years & not really into the bar scene.
    Finding a good band is hard.
    Ive turned down numerous offers because they wern't the right fit including going on the road.
    I don't want to live in motels for months at a time.
    Im not a young man anymore.
    I am always looking for the right fit.
    At this point, doubt it will happen.
    Whats the point of being in a band if you're not enjoying what you do ?

5. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

I play for fun. Period. That's it. If it ain't fun, forget it.

Money? Please, how much you gonna make doin' this? If we get a gig playing somewhere that pays, fine, but I'm happy playing somewhere for free as well. I mean, again, as long as it's fun.

I'm happy just jamming in the basement...again, as long as it's enjoyable...but I think ultimately the idea is to play for people, in front of people, even if it's your friends, in your backyard, or one of those proverbial "benefits" or something. I couldn't care less about the money, it just has to be enjoyable.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  6. NateSLC

NateSLC Active Member

I enjoy the challenge of creating and performing original music. It is a great feeling when you write something that complete strangers enjoy and you grow a fan base. I played in a hard rock band that I co-founded for 13 years, and my current blues rock band I created with my wife (bassist) and we have been together nine years I think now which has really been fun. The one thing that gets harder with age is managing the very busy schedules of our band mates since everybody has a professional job and families. The pace that we move at is really slow and I find myself getting discouraged and bored not being able to do as much as I would like us to do. Other than that though I find being in an original band with select covers is worth the trouble. I have been trying to decide if I wanted to join a side project playing covers just to stay as busy as I would like but being in two full time bands can leave zero time for anything else so I am undecided. I have never been financially successful in any of my music pursuits, but its been a hell of a lot of fun and it has opened up life experiences that I would have never had otherwise. The greatest experiences is opening up for national acts and instead of standing in line to get in and watch a concert you get that cool experience of being on the other side of the gate and being a part of the show and seeing things from the inside. I am grateful to be involved in the process rather than a spectator no matter if it is a lowly club gig or a big concert.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I played my first "professional" gig with a family band working tent shows and barn dances at about age 12. In the early 1970s I was in a country-rock band on the verge of going from bar and college gigs to opening concerts for A-listers. I had busted my behind getting us there and in a matter of seconds, two members blew the whole deal, getting into a physical fight in front of an audience including the A&R guys from Warner. It was of course over a skinny blonde camp follower. Since then I have worked as a hired sideman or I hire and fire my own band. The hired gun gigs have proven to be the most fun and profitable.( Thanks, Ron, Rusty and The Platinum Cowboys) I have made one exception. A concert violinist who I met at a party a few years ago and my usual piano player and I formed "Les Beats Outre" a "jazz" trio that is only occasionally profitable but is a project we all love, so there are no arguments. Music is my religion and gigging is high mass and communion.

8. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

^ lol

9. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

I formed my current band in 2012, and we've been together ever since. We were all friends at first before any of us knew everyone else were musicians. So, playing music together is just a bonus added onto our friendship.

We play in the band because we all enjoy it. It was never about money, or being delusional in thinking that the band will become anything more than what it is. We play to have fun. The band will disband the moment we stop having fun.

10. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Load into studio this morning, first song ever with a strat ! Optimized-load in.jpg

11. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I played at church this past Sunday and it was a paying gig.

I did a fill in 2 weeks ago with a cover band.

It was a paying gig too.

It's gotta be fun and it's gotta be a paying gig.

I've done many fun/free gigs in the past.

When I get home when from an all nighter when the sun is coming up, I feel great that I've been paid and misrable when I was not paid and supposed to have fun.

About 1 1/2 months ago, I auditioned for a cover band that I was pretty excited about.

When the lead singer said, "I don't do black" when I suggested Motown songs, I was in an awkward V 8 moment.

I called them the next day and said; "I'm not your guitarist".

I'm still a free agent and I like it.

Cadorman, Crikey, Wailing and 4 others like this.
  12. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Why ? Because I can't dance like James Brown ........
    Believe it or not , I still feel the same "spark" over this sh*t that I felt at age 14 ,42 years ago
    As far as playing for a living, I guess I have come too far with it to stop now

13. MK333

MK333 Member

14. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I do it for the same reasons everyone else does it...for pussy and beer. The music is a distant third.

MarshallDog, netlocal, gw247 and 11 others like this.
  15. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Yes, a blow job made that $75 payday seem highly irrelevant.

16. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I have been playing with several of my knucklehead friends from when we were kids over 40 years ago and we still continue to get together as much as our schedule allows and we still have a great time playing together and do it for the pure love of making music , some days better than others . It's all about having fun !

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

You mean we’re supposed to be paid???

18. Harlequin tusk

Harlequin tusk Well-Known Member

I was in our band for 12 years, lost our studio ( selling house) so I have a bunch of gear going for sale soon. Was fun while it lasted but I'm old now.

19. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

You mean we're supposed to get blow jobs!! :monkey:
    BP

20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yeah, but check out the Adam's apple on the 6' redhead before you go out back....