Who's to use?

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by ampeq, Aug 8, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about building an older classic Marshall type amp, maybe Plexi or JMP at some point. Does anyone make a "kit" that is complete and everything in it is at least as good as the original was? I don't want to have to swap out parts for so called "better" stuff to make it sound right. I see a few different ones available but I know nothing about them. I don't mind spending a little more money to get it right.

2. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

Have you tried BYOC (Build Your Own Clone) or MojoTone?

3. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Metropolis was the only vendor (kits no longer available) that ever sold a complete kit to build a clone that needed no upgrades to nail the original sound.

Now days for you get the original tone, one would probably piece mill the parts needed from Valvestorm, and add the transformers of choice. As Far Rider said, Mojotone or Weber gets you a complete kit but not period correct, and Triode offers a kit form with ClassicTone iron.

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Metropolis doesn't sell kits any more but I got a feeling if you ask nicely he'd sell you one. :yesway:

5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I'm just looking for the right sound if I do it, doesn't need to be perfect color's or anything like that. It would just be a fun project to do, but if it doesn't nail the right sound it's pointless. For the right sound with no hassles I think I would just go with Suhr. I see that Metropolis is a popular unit, does Mojotone or Weber sound correct?

6. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Both sound in the "vein" of the tone you want.

7. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

At the moment I have an open dispute with Triode USA because they want to keep the money I paid for an order I canceled before it shipped. They agreed to refund me initially but after more than a month of waiting they won't even reply to my emails anymore, let alone answer their "customer service" line.
    I had to ask my bank to intervene and recover the money. It will take a several weeks long investigation before I can see any results.

Triode USA: Worst customer service ever, and they're very dishonest people. Avoid.

8. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That sucks, I have ordered a lot of stuff from triode and never had one problem. Its been a year or so, Maybe things have changed over there. They were my go to for classictone transformers and turret boards. I hope they haven't turned into fucktards.

mAx___ likes this.
  9. Dblgun

Dblgun Member

Ceriatone sells amps in kit form, I have a 50w lead kit.

10. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member Premium Member

I had to wait for well over a month to get a chassis from Triode USA. Communication wasn't spectacular, but it eventually arrived and it was definitely the one I wanted. You can get the Classic Tone trannies from Tube Depot if you like.

mAx___ likes this.
  11. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest a Valve storm kit and choose your transformers.
    I would get Marstrans and ask him to double check the wiring before shipping. Merren are good if you can get hold of him easily.

12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Sorry man, I hate people like that. I will avoid and I hope you get your $ back. Ceriatone seems like a good way to go, they rate high on the kit type amps.

mAx___ likes this.
  13. herbvis

herbvis Active Member

Valvestorm sells the metroamp kits now. Cant go wrong

14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Cool! Thank you, these and Ceriatone seem like a very good way to go.

15. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

Do you want to build it yourself or have it built by someone else and send it to you? The reason I ask, is if I am not mistaken the Ceriatone kits, once to buy all the parts to build one you are at a price of of just buying a complete amp from from them.

I built my 50 watt Plexi from parts from Valvestorm using the PT, OT and choke from the company Neikeel mentions in his post.

I also like that you have a selection of parts to choice from.

I hope one day to use them to make the 45/100.

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I was going to build it myself to save money, but the more I look at them the more it seems pointless. I can just buy a Suhr that does everything great and be done with it. The Friedman Deluxe amps are very nice and do a lot more than most, but are pretty pricey. I think for now I’m just going to be on the lookout for a good deal on one. I’m still getting my guitars squared away, then I’ll worry about an amp.

17. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

Oh you will not be saving money making one yourself if you want it to be of nice quality.

I am sure if you keep looking you will find what you are looking for.

Cadorman likes this.
  18. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

But it is fun to make things yourself. Or at least, if you ARE the type that likes to do that, then it's just another reason to buy a kit.

Fun has a value all its own.

19. South Park

South Park Active Member

Watt audio has a good kit to.the thing you want up grade is to audio grade pots