Which Class 5 Model?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Chris Sheppard, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Chris Sheppard

Chris Sheppard New Member

I’m going to pull the trigger on a Class 5 but in the threads on here there is discussion on three different versions, that I believe the writers were referring to year model groupings.

I of course really like the look of the mini “Bluesbreaker” model. I’m seeing these in the $300+ range and just gotta get one.

Are all of the Class 5’s made in Britian? Thanks in advance for the input.
    CBS

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Chris Sheppard

And.......... there is one that has the “Lyle Plexi Mod” any info in regard is appreciated

3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I think there was something with tube rattle, the later model fixed this, I think it was the C5-01 that was good.

scozz likes this.
  4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Which Class 5 Model?
    All of them, what happens if you blow a tube in the middle of a show?
    Always have a backup.

Chris Sheppard likes this.
  5. Thevenin

Thevenin Active Member

The Lyle mod makes the amp a little brighter. I did it, but still struggled to bond with it. Sold it and bought an Origin 20.

John Finnerty and Chris Sheppard like this.
  6. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I have a love / hate thing with the class 5. Currenly it's a love thing. I picked this up in 2010, no mods. Just a delay in the front end, clean to a little drive. Maybe the speaker is broken in, not sure but it sounds great. It had the rattle but I worked with it and it hasn't surfaced.

[​IMG]

7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I'd get the head plus a cabinet. I've had both, and while I enjoyed the combo (agree, they do look the business), I absolutely love the head ... have said this before, but it's quite literally the only amp I know I'll never part with.

8. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Active Member

Hi
    I have the BB style, with a V Type 10" speaker, not the original speaker. Mine did not have the original speaker in it when I got it, so I don't know how it sounds with that one, but it had too much bass, not enough treble, and tone controls that were less than responsive. The mods that Lyle put up on the MyLesPaul forum are, IMHO, required. I didn't do anything that he had a switch attached to, just did them without options. I can go into more of what I did if you want. I'm happy with the sound now, but stock, I didn't like it at all.
    If the amps are sock and you are not comfortable with doing mods, I would pass and get something like an Origin or DSL. At the very least, don't buy it without playing it.
    Yes, the amps are UK made, the BB style is the last one, and the label should have the model C5-01 which is the latest with the rattle issues solved.

9. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I may have to investigate the Lyle mod. Reversible?

10. scott-colorado2016

The changes I made were just some component value swaps, completely reversable. Though, some of his mods do involve switches, I didn't do any of that. No cutting of traces, etc.

jmp45 likes this.
  11. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I've had the heads and combos in the past. It's a bassy sounding amp like has been said. I thought it sounded the best with the volume wide open. Only then did it open up more. I never found it a good pedal base clean tone imo. Maybe for a Strat but humbuckers were dark at lower volumes.

A good speaker match for straight in tone was a Celestion Alnico Blue. This gave it some presence and sounded good. 5 watts was enough to make that speaker compress a little which was cool.

In all honesty, I would look at an Origin. A Class 5 is not a bad amp. Fully cranked into a matched speaker it is definitely usable and has a vibe. An old circuit Treble Booster with a Les Paul was really good and made up for the syrupy low end.

After all that and you looking for a Marshall on a budget i reccomend the Origin. It's so much more versatile and i think it just sounds better overall.

12. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have the Class 5 head, and I'm with @crossroadsnyc it's a great amp. It does sound boxy, so playing through single coil or P90s sound the best in my view. Bridge pickups on a humbucker work fine too. Add a little volume, and you get that awesome crunch.

With combos, I believe the problem was cabinet rattle on the earlier model years.

13. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

I had the head. I agree with those who say to get the head and a cab. I had one and loved it. The only fault I had with it was that it was a bit bass heavy.

14. plexipaul

plexipaul Active Member

I love it! In particular with my teles.

[​IMG]

15. Chris Sheppard

I played a used green C5, at Blues Angel Music through a Fender Players Series Telecaster and really enjoy the sound. I turned it on about 4 and the guitar around 7 and it was most enjoyable. It was a. It dinged up and they are asking $449. For it, I don’t know if it’s a “special model” or what but I’m seeing a lot of these sell in the $300’s

16. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I see less and less of these amps being sold, so the price may be a reflection of supply and demand. I do believe the price of these amps will start to go up as there are a limited number, and there is a population of guitarists who appreciate their tone.

17. scott-colorado2016

The only "special" versions of the Class 5 were cosmetic changes, no changes to the circuit. Different badge/logo, mine has the block logo instead of the script logo, and there were some Tolex cover color changes, red, green, white, etc.

18. scott-colorado2016

The local Music Go Round has 2 or 3 combos, priced at $375 or so.

19. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Yes, they were all made in the U.K.

I got the head version early on. It's the amp that made me realize I am more of a preamp gain kinda guy. I do like it a a lot, but I will be 3,766th person to confirm it's bassy sounding, especially if not fully cranked.

I got a BOSS tube amp expander a couple months ago and the two go together like PB&J. Fully cranked C5 at conversation level volume.

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I have 0 experience with a class 5 but please do play it and let your ears decide.
    Cheers
    Mitch

Sustainium likes this.