Which Brand Strings Do You Use A D Why?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by chromeboy, Dec 25, 2018.

1. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

EB Power Slinky. 11-48. Been using them for a long time and I guess now it's just what I'm comfy with.

This thread has caused me to consider trying some others out after all this time.

2. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Wow, the Ernie Ball sure are popular here. I used to use them a lot, then for some reason I switched to GHS boomers for a long time.

For the last two or three years I've been using Elixiir Nano Webs. They dont corrode and I can't feel the coating. I buy the multi packs from Sweetwater so they don't cost much or any more than other strings

3. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

If you are happy with the D'addario strings, then spend your gift card on those strings because that's what's gonna keep you happy.

Me, I like a little variety in brands, but I almost always get pure nickel strings as the material used in the wrap (I can also use nickel plated steel, but the pure nickel are my first choice). For strats, I like Fender bullet end strings because the end doesn't get stuck in the tremolo block like ball end sometimes do. For les paul style guitar, it's either ernie ball pure nickel or gibson pure nickel (again, I'm ok with nickel plated steel wrap, but pure nickel is first choice). For most other guitars, it's usually ernie ball-the wrap material doesn't matter much.

Bottom line is get what works for you.

4. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I use different ones for different purposes. I used to use D'addario NYXL's but the plain strings seem a bit stiff. I still use them quite often, especially for 9's or 9.5's. But I started using those new Ernie Ball Paradigms for 10's. They are a bit more slinky and classic sounding and don't have the more modern attack and mid boost the NYXL's seem to have.

I just recently got a set of Elixir Optiwebs which are coated with the latest thinnest coating and seem really good. I hear they last a long time even though their faq says only the wound strings are coated and the plain strings are just treated to reduce corrosion, Which is what everyone else does to their strings too. I put these on my Floyd rose guitars hoping that I won't need to change them as frequently. Also hoping the coating doesn't make them more likely to slip out of those little saddle blocks.

5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

After buying a few newer guitars i decided to experiment with strings. I bought just about every type out there and gave them a run. My conclusion is Dunlop Nickel wounds are hands down the best ones for the money on the six and seven string's and on the 12's Curt Mangan Nickel wound.

6. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

D'addario standard 9's mostly but I've also used GHS and Fender stainless .

7. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

DR Hi-Beams. They are the best rock n roll guitar strings. Warm but bright, taut but supple, long-lasting, feel good to my fingers.

8. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

NYXL - I tried them on a whim about 6 months ago (previously Dean Markely).

9. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

D'Addario XL120's.
    I like the tone, the feel, and they last me pretty descent. They also give you free stuff (Players points).

Boomers seemed to break too easy and their tone dies within 4wks...
    It's been years since I tried used them...I'd love to support a Michigan based company, but D'Addario are a better string for me.

did I mention they give you free stuff?

I have tried DR's, Elixers...D'Addario are just what I am use to and are more consistent.

And Free Stuff.

10. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I use Ernie Ball slinkys. They're cheap, sound pretty good, and last for a while. My real preference is for Optima strings because they have more clarity and tone than anything I have ever played, they're also smooth as glass and last forever. The problem is that they're $24.99 per pack..

11. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ernie 0.10-0.46 on all my electric guitars, worked well for many years

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

So how many sets of EB's do you go through Vs the Optima in the same time span? May just boil out to be the same cost.

13. AlanH

AlanH Well-Known Member

Just for you Mitch I'll stick with my Trooper real ale avatar.

14. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

I was a Dean Markley guy for years & tried the NYXL's. It's amazing how easily they tune up.

15. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

GHS Boomers. They stay "snappy" sounding, last a long time, and I rarely break them.

16. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Absolutely Mike... I had been using EB Slinkys for like 10 thousand years... they just helped get that classic Gibson sound I grew up listening to. Nothing else sounded the same... However, and this is in recent history, say like 1 thousand years ago... I began to notice how I was always breaking strings...and I mean ALWAYS... I thought at first it was the guitar...but then I acquired 5 guitars over some time and they were breaking on all 5. I tried everything to stop the breakage..looking at the bridge...adjusting the tail piece...looking for burrs...and even began questioning my playing.... but then in a completely 'keep is simple stupid' moment I came to the conclusion that it had to be the strings... I began to research and found that many players were complaining about EB and breakage... (incidentally I used their RPS line because of the reinforced ends). I noted sometimes how brand new packs would leave my fingers black...wtf? I then began trying out different strings...and you are right..strings do make a big difference in your tone... and they feel/perform differently too.

I tried all of the most known strings...Markley, Dunlop, GHS, SIT, Daddario...etc... and in the end the NYXLs ended up being my new fav. Their very, very good strings. They sound allot like the EBs, but even louder...they bend so easily, even the wound strings... their more slinky then EB's Slinkys... and most importantly they don't break. They set in quickly too and exhibit rock solid tuning.

Oh, also incidentally, I tried some of those new expensive EB Paradigms. Don't waste your money..their stiffer...sound pretty good...very EB like...and loud like the NYXLs, but I started noticing some tuning instability... I replaced them with the NYXLs before they could break.

Based on what I have tried, the NYXL is the best 10 gauge string out there right now.

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Dean Markley, if you can find them.

18. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

I use Elixir coated. They are harder to grip but so kind to one's fingers. They don't break. But I am going to try A cheaper string.

Two of my pals have have not changed their strings in 25 years !!

19. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

That's a good point. I suppose I could look at it that way but, I hate forking over $25 for a single pack plus, if I were to break one, that would hurt! In all seriousness though, I would wager that an average player could probably get a year out of a set of Optimas, 6 months minimum.

Mitchell Pearrow and anitoli like this.
  20. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Switching brands I don't have to make a claw adjustment, just a higher gauge. I was using Ernie's for years, and over the last couple years made the switch to NYXLs and didn't need to make an adjustment (if I recall correctly). I can remember the last time I broke a string - don't know if my playing has become less aggressive or strings are stronger these days.

Mitchell Pearrow and AlanH like this.