Which Are The Top Three Pedals On Your Board?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by aryasridhar, Nov 11, 2017.

1. AlanH

AlanH Active Member

Yes they are incredibly tweakable and feel solid in construction and function. I don't spend much on pedals- my carbon copy is my most expensive so the price of the BM is right up my street. It just seems to go really well with a base Marshall tone.

jmp45 likes this.
  2. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Hello Deep Purple fan.

I've learned over the years that if you don't set up the controls right and/or if the NS-2 is not in the right place in the signal chain, you might have problems (I think this is probably true for most noise gate/noise suppression pedals); this, I think, is where some people run into problems, then make claims that the NS-2 "causes" tone suck. For example, when adjusting the threshold, I think it's best find a balance between the noise you want to cut out versus the signal strength/loudness needed to "open" the gate. But you gotta make sure you're not gonna cut off the tail end of delay and reverb effects (that's where having a "decay control comes in handy, which I'll get to later). But I gotta admit that the NS-2 is little bit of a strange pedal.

Imo, the Boss NS-2 is a weird pedal in regards to the way it seems to work best (which I still can't explain). The NS-2 has a built-in loop in addition to the input output jacks. The NS-2 does work pretty good if you plug your noisy pedals into it's built-in loop (that part I understand). But if you do not plug anything into its built in loop, then the controls seem to be a little less effective. But, if you plug a patch cable to connect both ends of the loop (the NS-2 loop is marked "send" and "return"), then the controls work extremely well (this is the part that I don't entirely understand, but I have my theories).

What I like about the NS-2 is that it is one of the few noise gate/suppressor pedals with a "decay" control. Almost every noise gate/noise reduction pedal I've seen features a threshold control, but almost none offer a decay (that's also usually the case with amps featuring built-in noise gate/suppression). If you look at the noise gate/noise reduction feature in a rack effect system or multi-effects system, these almost always include an adjustable "decay" parameter in addition to threshold parameter. Having a "decay" control/parameter lets the player control how the gate "closes" just as the threshold controls how the gate "opens." People will complain that their noise gate/suppressor is cutting off the tail of their delay and reverb; this is usually due placement of the ng/ns in the signal chain, and/or the signal attenuation that is preset internally with devices that only have a threshold control (i.e. as the signal strength decreases, the ng/ns will use some kind of attenuation feature that "listens" to the strength of the signal and begins "closing" the signal to avoid noise creeping in). Sometimes the signal attenuation is in relation to the threshold, and sometimes is based on some other setting that's part of it's design. If you only have a threshold control, you can certainly lower the threshold to help lessen cut off certain effects, but then you'll be letting in more noise. A "decay" control will help you avoid the cut off effect without compromising the threshold setting. I can make the NS-2 "close" very fast of very slow depending on how set the decay, but I also set the threshold and decay in a way where they're working together effectively.

I only use the NS-2 between the guitar and amplifier instrument input in the 410H, but it's not on all the time. I also use a programmable noise gate in the 410H effects loop to help cut down on preamp noise, but I only use it when accessing the higher gain channels/modes such as OD1/orange, OD1/red, OD2/orange, OD2/red. My 410H gain and channel volume settings aren't too high, so the threshold and decay settings aren't very high either, with makes cut off of delay and reverb tails not a problem.

I'm not advocating change if you find that what you use right now works well for you. Sorry if the post is a bit long. Enjoy your day.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  3. tone seaker

tone seaker Well-Known Member

Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
    1969 Italian Vox V846 wha, 1981 TS 9 tube screamer and Deja Vibe II. EP3 echoplex on the rail next to my 68 Super Trem half stack :)
    SSPX4919.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    solarburnDSL50, wntbtw, jmp45 and 2 others like this.
  4. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

This week my top three are Cry Baby, Lester G and Bad Monkey.
    Subject to change without notice.

5. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Thanks buddy. I will give that pedal a whirl for sure.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  6. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

If you're looking to put something in the effects loop to curtain noise from the JVM preamp, I suggest using some kind of programmable noise gate/suppressor. A programmable ng/ns will allow you to program/save different threshold and decay parameters for different channels/modes on the JVM. For example, the gain and channel volume settings you select for OD1/orange mode might be different than the gain and channel volume settings you select for OD2/red, which might require you to use a higher threshold setting on one channel/mode than on another. That's the reason why I don't use the NS-2 in the effects loop and instead use a programmable noise gate.

The noise gate I use is a built-in feature of the multi-effects system I use in the effects loop. Additionally, the entire my entire multi-effects system is connect to the 410H via MIDI, making all transitions very smooth. My NS-2 settings stay put, so the only thing I'm doing is turning it on/off.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  7. grainman

grainman Active Member

jdm's green meanie, analog.man's beano boost, jonny rock gear 's clowntaur.....i dont show you the pile ....it took me to get there....ouff ..lots of love hate relation with pedals...even without

8. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Member

Alchemy GE7
    Bogner Ecstacy Red
    Keeley 30ms

9. SpHj

SpHj Active Member

A Tuner, and pretty much any OD.
    I can get away without all the fancy gizmos live, and any OD will do the trick in a pinch. Ditto for the tuner.

10. matttornado

matttornado Active Member

Thats what I did for years. Single coil MIM strat - Vox wah, Big box rat, then later a Rat 2 into my attenuated Superlead. Sounded awesome!

GIBSON67 likes this.
  11. blue

blue Active Member

at the minute,
    ThunderTomate Fat Treble Booster
    Exotic SL Drive
    Sonuus Wahoo

12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I use my Zoom G3 for time based and EQ.
    One I don't use much but is just such fun - the original EH Micro Synthesizer.
    Morley Wah, Polytune, Bad Monkey used the most outside of G3.

mirrorman likes this.
  13. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

Yeah, really like the G3X for time based and EQ. Also like the Organ and Talk Box synths on that unit.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I have an MXR talk box. Really gotta practice with it. Awkward to sing in same mic so I need to hook up a second. Many venues here aren't set up for that.

15. Trelwheen

Trelwheen New Member

Super chill picoso, mess V1 Bottle Rocket and eventide H9

16. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I like 4 pedals. I prefer a delay in loop after the amps gain stage and then 3 OD pedals in front of my amps listed in my sig but only 2 on board at a time.. The 4th my JC wah in front of the OD's.

These and going straight in suit me fine.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 9:58 PM