Where to source 4010 face plates ?

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by SG-Rocker, Oct 16, 2019.

1. SG-Rocker

SG-Rocker New Member

I'm in the process of converting a 5010 solid state combo to a fire breathing 4010.
    The amp is an '84 model meaning horizontal inputs.
    Where can a guy get a set of 4010 front and rear plates made?

This is the look I am going for....

fMarshall_4010_2204_JCM800__1200_Lynnwood_5c91ae2b2c7a9.jpg

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not sure where you are located but Mojotone makes nice replacements with good customer service.

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Mojotone won't make replacements that are "identical" down to the markings.

The 4010 and similar models are far down on my list of panels to reproduce, but at some point I'll probably get to them.

I need examples of the original panels in my hands to be able to replicate them, or work off some GOOD photos with accurately taken dimensional data.

4. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

I believe that is the same case with Sandy at Precision, in that she doesn't replicate the plate markings due to the OEM trademarks. If you can live with a generic version, not a true Marshall replication, then try her.

5. Matthews Guitars

I did some checking on that. If there's no trademarked Marshall logo on it, there's really no legal issue with copying the panel as long as the copy is going back on a real Marshall product. Everything on that panel is just a combination of letters and numbers using fonts that are in the public domain or can be legally purchased for use. Marshall can't stop anybody from reproducing a panel for one of their amps if that panel does not bear an actual trademarked logo or copyrighted text. Nor are they likely to do so in any event.

It's not like copying Gibson's distinctive name, font, and headstock and making your own guitar that features it.

But as a matter of prudence, if someone wants rear panels from me for a genuine Marshall amp, I will provide one that is fully marked, but if I know it's
    going to a copy or replica, they can get a version from me that lacks certain text features. It won't say "Made in England by Jim Marshall LTD". That version is reserved for restorations of actual real Marshalls.

6. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Leave the original 5010 plate on there and let people wonder why it sounds so effing great! And if you gig, then nobody will want to steal it!

7. SG-Rocker

SG-Rocker New Member

I have a set of plates coming from Mojotone. Here's hoping for a perfect fit!

8. Matthews Guitars

If you send me the original plate I'll measure it, draw it up, and be able to replicate it to a high degree of precision. You'll get your original plate back,
    and I'll sell you a new one at cost. Any person who provides me with an original example to replicate gets a replica of it for my true manufacturing cost.

GIBSON67 likes this.