When To Draw The Line On Technology And Innovation

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Vinsanitizer, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:57 AM.

1. csand

csand New Member

Hah! Sorry bout that. Great song though, at least :D

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

At some point that could be the only efficient way to maintain the population with the available resources.
    In the lifetimes of many members, the world's population is projected to grow from 7 billion to 10 billion, by 2050 (and projected to be 11.2 billion by 2100) many peoples' lifestyles will change, just due to personal space.
    Moot question for about the last 50 years, in the first world. Technology and Healthcare are inextricably linked.

3. Biddlin

Scarlett Johansson, brmmmmm......oops, sorry..............................
    [​IMG]
    "One soft tissue is all it takes to show you care."
    Too racy?

The Ozzk likes this.
  4. Biddlin

I'd never wake to know the answer.

Marshall Stack likes this.
  5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

that is the question...

It seems that many can't give away their money fast enough to give everything away. They are just fooled to think that they are getting something (no strings attached)...

Just think, when it gets implemented, self driving cars, will take your traveling rights away from you. There will be no more speeding, so you will have to make sure you leave so much earlier. You'll give a destination & the car will choose the route.

Anyone who knows how to track your vehicle, will have full GPS location of where your vehicle is at all times.

This is just 1 way that I see this happening. Everybody already can't buy smart devices fast enough. They buy a smart TV, phone, computer, etc., that all spy on them. Smart watch? Yep - we're watching you! should be the advert slogan... :)...

tubes, The Ozzk, DaDoc and 1 other person like this.
  6. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Don't talk about me like I'm not here! :uk:

If I've understood, you've clarified the question. You're now saying is there going to be a specific use for technology that will always be unacceptable , irrespective of the era or population in which it is considered. Well it will depend who you ask, so therefore, no.

Some people think IVF is just that already. Others think nuclear weapons are. Everything has its cultural, ethical, generational and geographical context. These are not constants but variables.

Another way to answer is, no. I don't think there will be something technological that is universally frowned upon. There will always be a minority market for everything. It's a bit like rule 34.

7. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

8. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 2017 Limited Edition Turtle Sammich Promo VIP Member

Good enough. :yesway:

tubes likes this.
  9. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I'm in the process of restoring an older home right now, and was just thinking about appliances for the kitchen recently since I've already picked out the cabinets / etc. When I went to the store to check some out, I was shocked at some of the technology available … for example, a refrigerator that hooks up to the internet (plays music / gives you the weather / can search recipes / etc … very cool stuff). I was pretty stoked about it, and thought that despite the ridiculous price, that it'd be really cool to have. Well, that was a few days before the latest Wikileaks dump regarding the CIA spying on everyone … needless to say, my refrigerator will no longer have a camera built in. It's hard for me to answer your question right now since I'm in the process of trying to decide that for myself, you know? There are certain technological advancements that I'd love, but I'm not comfortable w/the invasion of privacy (potentially). I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint that whereas I know I'm being spied on (as we all are), I'd like to limit the technology that takes the spying inside my home (yes, I'm also replacing the samsung tv's … but will it matter? how many television manufacturers have the same crap that samsung was infected with that we don't know about? all of them?). Hell, I'm even considering discontinuing the OnStar in both of my vehicles since I'm paranoid someone is listening to my conversations in the car (though, i love the satellite radio, so it's a huge mind fuck … do i want to listen to awesome radio stations despite the chance someone might be eavesdropping?). I was being a smart-ass earlier, but it's been really weighing on my mind lately.

10. rmlevasseur

rmlevasseur Well-Known Member

It is interesting that you call this "technology" instead of art or entertainment. Think about this. Man draws on cave walls, over time we perfect the art of drawing to realistic perfection, then we made more perfect images still with a camera. Not satisfied, we made the pictures move, then talk. Soon we made them respond to human input such as in video games, then we made entire worlds for them to interact in. Now we are giving them physical bodies, constantly improving their AI.

Now ask yourself, where do we as humans fit in? Are we so different? Perhaps we are just a remnant of a creator, who ditched us long ago like an old can of 8mm film in the attic.

When we look at all my examples above, it seems to me it has all primarily been done in the name of entertainment, with a secondary purpose of preserving history in the most realistic forms possible. This process will never stop. To me it seems to be a drive that is hard wired into us. It may be all we ourselves are an outdated form of entertainment. Just like all our prior works of art, we ourselves have undeniable inherent flaws that could be improved upon, maybe making humans themselves more "realistic" with the next version.

tubes likes this.
  11. rmlevasseur

12. rmlevasseur

Sorry, sometimes when I edit a post from my iPad to fix typos I wind up replying to myself

Vinsanitizer and The Ozzk like this.
  13. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

You know, Vin's original post made me think about how people (in general) like wasting money to buy things to solve a problem they don't have, and in most cases, said item now creates other "issues" and occupy your mind with futile tasks like "plugging in your shoes because they need to be charged". :squint:

csand also makes an excellent point about smart appliances. :agreed:

We bought some sort of fancy kind of washing machine with all sorts of bells and whistles... we hate the damned thing now. :mad:

We're trying to get rid of it. We just want an old school washing machine; those that you load from the top, put some detergent in it and press the button. No fancy "steam cleaning" no more $40 detergents and above all... no more draining stinky water weekly.

We also fell for the fancy scooba robot... that's a whole 'nother rant. :yesway:

14. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

As it just so happens, the washing machine / dryer that I was looking to install in the new laundry room is one of the fancier types … maybe I should reconsider?

The Ozzk likes this.
  15. Nkyrental

Nkyrental Active Member

The Scarlett Johansen robot. Wonder what he has done to that?

16. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

we're listening. ;)

The Ozzk likes this.
  17. ricksconnected

the thing that still gets me the most are the tire pressure valves that let you know your tire is low,
    and freakin seat heaters. WTF lazy somes O' bitches. most of these modern marvels are straight up
    for the lazy folks plain and simple. it cost a lot these days to be lazy.

DaDoc likes this.
  18. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 2017 Limited Edition Turtle Sammich Promo VIP Member

19. ricksconnected

roflmao.

I knew a guy that had this little lawnmower kinda like this. first time I ever saw one right.
    this thing would cut your grass in the same fashion and would then go dock itself back in
    this little doghouse looking box. it was cool as hell lol. did a good job too amazingly enough.

20. ricksconnected

nothing I bet that Scarlett cant out do w/o even trying. :naughty: