What's Your Soldering Iron?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by FourT6and2, Apr 5, 2020.

1. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Active Member

To piggyback off the "What's Your Mulitmeter?" thread, what's your soldering iron?

I use a Hakko FX-100.
    Works via induction heating and I'm never going back to a normal iron, not even a nice regulated iron with a ceramic element. This thing is suuuhweeeet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Sapient likes this.
  2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Genuine (not a Chinese knockoff) Hakko FX-951 plus two JBC BD series stations. I also have Ungar, Metcal, and Pace equipment.

In my line of work I have ready access to all kinds of electronics assembly tools that come out of surplus. I get my pick of any of them.

After trying out many things I bought a brand new Hakko FX-951 for myself. It's pretty much the last word in a soldering station.

The JBCs are just as good, but replacement parts availability is not quite as good as Hakko.

I caution against buying knock-off Hakko stations and parts. If you buy the knock-offs, you'll get lower performance.

3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

See other thread! :coffee:

Sapient likes this.
  4. Sapient

Sapient Well-Known Member

Weller. No pic. :(

5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

That's it except I use the scrubber ball instead of a sponge.

Well if you buy everything, solder, wick, tips, cleaners, etc it's going to cost 400-$500 but then you will be loving it for the next 20 years.
    I have had a lot of different soldering irons, but this one is the best one I think. Never broke once in the last 12 years I believe...
    So if you want something that can handle tiny little PC boards, or, soldering grounds to a steel chassis it can do either.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    cozmacozmy likes this.
  6. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Active Member

Oh is this a dupe lol?

Lance Chambers likes this.
  7. cozmacozmy

cozmacozmy Member

Blue point (Snap on tools non lifetime warranty division) multi tip soldering gun. Each tip has a built in resistor to limit temps. I also have a butane fueled soldering iron that is small and easy to get into tight areas. Love that thing! The temps are about equal to a 30-40 watt soldering iron.

8. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

So is this actually "a thing" for non-manufacturing hobbyists... or more like another gimmick for people who think they need an electric appliance to open a can of peas?

9. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Subscribed ! That is sweet indeed for those who take their builds serious as we do. I will have to save up to replace my Hakko Fx888d-29by/p ESD - Safe Digital Soldering Station, which I will probably never need as a backup.
    Hi-tech & simplistic though, comes with a price tag.
    Technology the clear winner here. Pay-to-play and build.
    I blame all this on my Father for having one of those super cool black Sears & Roebuck soldering guns with the light!

10. Rotorcraft230

Rotorcraft230 Well-Known Member Premium Member

4DECF33F-5C9F-4FC2-96BD-EA362006827C.jpeg Got a Weller WTCPT. Made in USA, don’t know how old it is cause I picked it up at a pawn shop for 20 bucks out the door. I also made the solder dispenser.

11. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Active Member

Is what a thing? Good soldering irons? Yeah, they're a thing. But you still need to know how to solder well. Cheap pencil irons are fine for wiring in a pickup or a speaker in a cab. But if you build amps, for example, a better iron is such a dream to work with. Makes it much more enjoyable.

It's like any tool. Do you need a better camera to take good photos? No. But if you're a good photographer, then maybe you can make use of the better tool. A better hammer isn't going to turn the average Joe into a master carpenter. But if you are a master carpenter, then maybe you're able to recognize and make use of the differences between a crap hammer and a good one.

A good regulated induction soldering station is so much better than a cheap pencil iron from Radio Shack.

Rotorcraft230 likes this.
  12. Rotorcraft230

Rotorcraft230 Well-Known Member Premium Member

A4A81BD7-D732-4284-A316-6664F01C511A.jpeg Here are a few more I have. For the really big jobs I use the top one LOL.

13. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Ive got an old Hakko 936 ... back from the bullet proof era !!!

[​IMG]maxresdefault