What's Your Go To Amp At Home

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jchrisf, Dec 29, 2018.

1. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have been a Yamaha fan for years. I got the Magicstomp when it came out just so I could get all of the SPX effects in one little stomp box. i think the THR would be a great amp to keep in my living room and to take on trips for something to jam on to keep my sanity while at relatives houses.

2. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

Which one do you have?

3. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

If you guys are looking for an amp to use without making noise for others AND something very small. I've been using a Quilter Microblock 45. It's a pedal-sized amp with a headphone jack and a direct line-out jack, but it doesn't need a speaker-load to be used, if desired. I like this because, at low volumes, I don't like hearing my strings.
    Otherwise, if I'm by myself, everything is fair-game up to 100w full stacks.

4. vivanchenko

vivanchenko Active Member

I sourced all parts separately which turned out to be not very complicated and a fun thing to do provided that you live in a major metropolitan area :) . I ordered Chassis and faceplates directly from China :) As far as I know Mojotone sourced their chassis and faceplates from the same manufacturer. I actually compared them and they do seem to be the same including color. Classic Tone power transformer, Hammond OT and choke, yellow Mallory caps, F&T filter caps. I built the amp personally and it's been perfect for the last three years I have been using it. I believe that I did a high quality job because the amp generates virtually no hum or unwonted noise and it is very touch-sensitive and loud. I used unmodified 1969 schematic. I believe that Hammond OTs are not lacking in anyway compared to the best modern clones. I did many comparisons with all 50 Watt Plexis I could lay my hands on and I am convinced that Hammond is just as good as any other modern clone out there. See how a Hammond Bassman replacement part OT compares to the original Bassman OT and to the Mercury Magnetics. I used a Hammond 50 W JTM replacement part OT: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/EDB1750U.pdf . Hammond manufactured OTs for the Bassmaster amps and they competed with OTs used by Marshall and Fender during the Plexi era. What other transformer manufacture today can say this?

Mitchell Pearrow and jchrisf like this.
  5. kustombob

kustombob Well-Known Member

Even though I have many Amps including 2 Marshall stacks' I practice mostly in my upstairs computer room with a Kustom Dart' small little amp that has that vintage tuck and roll blue cover' Years ago MF had them on sell at xman time for $100 for 2 of them' Got a Red and Blue. They have a great sound at low volume. Now they go for over $100 each on ebay if you can even find them.

6. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

2555X amp into a 2551AV cab

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Dammit!! Now I have to look at one of those. Seems like a nice simple emergency backup.

8. Gutch220

Yea, it's PERFECT for a back-up. It's easily good enough to be a main amp as well, if that's your thing. It's not a "toy" like some other small amps (the mini Fender, mini Marshall, the mini Honey amp, etc....they all sound like clock radios
    I even have one of those little smokey amps (the polymer version) and it's cool & fun as a novelty but it's not really usable. But for a $30, 0.5w, 2" speaker, deck-of-cards-sized amp/speaker, a novelty is what you get. The little Blackstar Fly3 is $60 and while it's twice as much as the smokey it's 100x better.

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

You got me looking at the Quilter Interblock 45 now...:(

10. Limeshack

Limeshack Member

I play though an attenuated 50 watt 2204 type clone my dad built from a Weber kit. I also have a battery powered micro cube that sounds pretty awesome considering what it is.

11. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

My DSL5CR has shouldered the load at home for me since May or so, but it’s probably going to be left out once my JVM arrives next week. I am also having my 76 Fender worked on soon so I will have two amps other than my 5CR to use at home. I have occasionally used my 40CR at home, but it stays at our church most of the time because I’m too lazy to move it back and forth.

jchrisf and tce63 like this.
  12. freakout

freakout Member

13. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have a '57 Tweed Champ on top of a DSL5c in the living room.
    I slave the Champ into the DSL from the hi input.
    If I need to use reverb or EQ pedals I turn on the DSL.
    If not, I can run the OD into the Champ if needed.
    For wicked awesome tone I run both at once.

Mitchell Pearrow, jchrisf and tce63 like this.
  14. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

1987 Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550 w/Rockman EQ, Rockman Chorus (yeah, I still use one), and 2 x Rockman Echo.

kevin s, Mitchell Pearrow and jchrisf like this.
  15. Gutch220

Aren't you worried it'll disappear one day?

tce63 likes this.
  16. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind. Access to our facility is tightly controlled (by staff) and it’s about as secure as you can get. I have accepted the risk, if the amp gets stolen I will replace it.

17. kevin s

kevin s Well-Known Member

My living room rig,I use the 15h for the clean channel with the mesa flux five in front for low volume.
    [​IMG]

When i want to play later in the evening i go to the mudd room.
    [​IMG]

18. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

19. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Well-Known Member

My ‘15 DSL40C with an Eminence Swamp Thang speaker.The amp absolutely rips with this speaker. I oscillate between the amp’s gain and a Bogner Red for my heavy tones. I use the amp’s gain when gigging or jamming, and use the Bogner Red when I have to play more quietly. Btw, I can’t say enough good things about the Bogner pedal. Absolutely the most amp like dirt box I’ve ever played. It body slammed my BE-OD off my pedalboard. I promptly sold the BE-OD.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  20. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Well-Known Member

Or other people messing with it that don’t know what their doing? When my buddy house/dog sits for us, I put the main power cords for my tube driven amps in a drawer because he’s just learning to play, and I don’t want him messing with them. I’ve got a Line 6 AMPLIFi 75 he can use.