What's Missing Here Now...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Jethro Rocker, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Sometimes there isn't a lot you can do except move. For us a generator helps, and underground wiring as well, but it still goes out from time to time for extended periods. Try to find a warm spot for everyone to relax...

But to get back on topic, I know Jethro was poking a bit of fun at some of the threads around here as of late. He has a point, you know... But there is a much deeper meaning.

Back when I joined almost 10 years ago, things were a lot different. There may not have been so many members back then, and there was a much deeper feeling of friendship. We certainly didn't all agree on everything, but we had a lot of fun discussing things, even when it struck a nerve deep inside.

What is missing is the general camaraderie where everyone has everyone else's back. We have possibly become victims of our own society where good-natured ribbing is not allowed because someone may get offended. Where you knew peoples names and had a real sense of friendship.

Many have left this forum for a large number of reasons, many valued contributors who shaped and guided this place into the unique forum it once was. My hope is some day we can get that feeling back.

2. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Micky I joined because I had purchased the DSL40C and you had a great thread. I never had to add anyone to my ignore list then. I have found that I have to with a couple just because I get irritated with their posts and don't want to waste my breath arguing or even seeing it.

Normally I try to not fall into the trap of judging someone's intelligence by how much we agree, but sometimes you just cant help it and it makes me feel like I'm not a nice person then.

Micky likes this.
  3. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

In all reality, it is a shame that it is now the largest thread here. There used to be others that were bigger, and a very large base of like-minded friends that would look to this place as a gathering spot. Not only for friendship, but for ideas as well as inspiration and comfort. We as DSL40 owners and contributors to that thread have helped shape much of what we have here, and I am not knocking that at all, it is truly a testament to those who choose to contribute.

The anonymity of the Internet and the changes in our society have forced us to deal with problems in ways we may be uncomfortable with, and that unto itself may be the problem. I just hope we can all regain the sense of camaraderie we once had...

4. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

That will only happen when the most frequent posters, are not the same as the most polarized posters.

el_bastardo and Micky like this.
  5. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

Though I agree there is quite a bit of negativity around here, I do think there is a solid core of people who contribute positively.

Back on topic -- how about the monthly posts that go something like this:

- JCM 900s suck
    - No they don't, you had a crappy one
    - Well, some of them are OK, but the DRs really suck

I don't find the posts offensive, but I do find it humorous that the topic comes up almost monthly, and I stupidly participate in each one of them.

Jethro Rocker and Ghostman like this.
  6. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

The way I see it, with the exception of the Backstage, the arguments should be almost non-existent. The rest of the forum is for exchanging of information or help, and the open ended threads are asking of opinions. Seems like people lately are getting far too touchy when someone disagrees with them. I've seen it far more recently, when someone expresses an opinion, and someone else attacks that poster simply because they don't like them.

Lately the posts usually go almost cookie cutter like:
    Poster 1: Opinion
    Poster 2: Opinion
    Poster 1: I disagree with your opinion
    Poster 2: it's an opinion, you don't have to agree
    Poster 1: Thanks for destroying a thread, you always do this! You're such a Troll!

Rinse, and repeat.

el_bastardo and John BNY like this.
  7. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm all for differences in opinion, but you see the negativity start to creep in when someone disagrees with someone else's opinion, but throws an indirect attack. For example:

Poster 1: I like vanilla flavor over all other flavors
    Poster 2: You like vanilla? Chocolate is the best
    Poster 3: Nah, strawberry is better than everything else
    Poster 4: Opinions are like ass*&^s, because everyone has one . . .
    Poster 3: You are entitled to your opinion, but people who like vanilla or chocolate tend to be overweight, uneducated morons.

Thread goes down in flames.

Marshall Stack and Ghostman like this.
  8. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

Likewise...
    I was looking for suggestions on how to boost the red channel with my first post.
    That is a great thread for DSL40C owners.

Micky likes this.
  9. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

I know just the guy who can help you with that. :agreed:

saxon68, Micky and Ghostman like this.
  10. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

It's funny because it's true! :lol:

John BNY likes this.