What To Do With Vintage Bluesbreaker Chassis?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by shakti, Nov 27, 2019.

1. shakti

shakti Active Member

I suppose those are the ones, yes.

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Ebay is a great place to get parts Hoffman amps is good to

3. shakti

shakti Active Member

4. shakti

shakti Active Member

Continuing my parts search for this project.

I noticed something odd about the holes layout which has me questioning the originality of the chassis, but I am not sure. The output transformer is placed very close to the power transformer on this chassis. On all other JTM45 tremolo chassis I've seen (based on web searches) the OT and PT are spaced much farther apart. On the regular JTM 45 chassis they are closer together like on my tremolo chassis, but it is an oddity as far as I can see.

I also have trouble lining up the board mounting holes with the pattern on a perforated board. If it had a solid (non-perforated) board I suppose it could work, but it is another slight oddity.

The only explanation I can come up with is that it was a one-off...in fact it was Clapton's one-off Bluesbreaker combo as heard on the Beano album. It's gone missing for more than 50 years, so obviously it was parted out, and this is the chassis, right. Right???

;)

In other good news, I scored lots of RS Hy-stab resistors, although it's possible that early production Pihers are the most appropriate. I also scored a full set of NOS Radiospares paper-in-oil 500V signal caps as used in some of the very earliest JTM45s. Again, they aren't really appropriate for this type of build which should have mustards. If any of the early Marshall connoiseurs out there (Pleximaster, Thomas H. et al) are in need I would gladly give them up for the right project. Or else I will try them in my block logo clone.

tomsvintage and CoyotesGator like this.
  5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I'm willing in principle to help you get some "correct" front and rear panels made to fit your amp. What I need is some fairly precise measurements of the size and location of all the front and rear chassis holes to start with. Working from photos of original amps and input from you I can generate the artwork,
    from which I can have the legends printed in reverse on pieces of plexiglas/acrylic, and the holes cut. Then the gold paint can be sprayed on, sealed, and the panel finished out.

6. shakti

shakti Active Member

That's very helpful of you! I have already talked to Valvestorm who can do it, and I have sketched up some 1:1 drawings with measurements. Do you have any samples that show what a Plexi style front panel would look like? The rear panels on these amps is white with gold print ("Super Tremolo Amplifier").

7. Ned B

Ned B Active Member

I have an accurate S1 cab with EC pinstripe that might be appropriate for your project.

Attached Files:

Amadeus91 likes this.
  8. shakti

shakti Active Member

Hi Ned,

PM me and we'll take it from there. I had planned to get a S2 cab though to go all out on the Clapton repro thing.

9. Matthews Guitars

Well, if we're talking about an early offset chassis JTM45, come to think of it, a plexi or gold toned panel would be wrong. It'd be white with black lettering, thus making it a relatively trivial project.

It should look about like this:

[​IMG]

10. Ned B

Ned B Active Member

Will do.

11. Amadeus91

Amadeus91 Active Member

NICE

12. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

It is a tricky subject and I will try to steer through. The first amp had no control panel. The offsets had a polished engraved aluminium front panel with polarity and close inputs.
    The first MKII amps had white Traffolyte engraved panels before going over to the gold rear stamped plexi panels.
    Someone please convince me otherwise but I suspect all the white polarity/close input panels are repros/fakes, probably from a well known maker of such things in Doncaster.

tomsvintage likes this.
  13. Matthews Guitars

Oh, I'm sure that when discussing amps in the development and prototype stage, there can be and probably should be a lot variations between examples as the builder finds the designs and methods he'll settle on for production. For those amps, each one might be best to be considered as a unique individual. So to make a replica of a specific one would of course require detailed knowledge of it.

14. shakti

shakti Active Member