What The Hell Happened To Music...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by GuitarIV, Dec 1, 2017.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

So, I'm at work right now. The reason why I am even posting this thread is because I'll go crazy if I don't distract myself with my phone.

I work weekends as a barkeeper to pay my rent an other shenanigans like food and gear whilst studying at university. We have a basement we rent out for parties and events and I usually stand behind the bar and pour drinks and mix cocktails.

Now in the five years I have been working at this bar I have seen a lot. Lots off different guests, good and bad, all kinds of crazy horseshit. But tonight is different. The minutes feel like hours.

I have a group of 18 year olds celebrating, they basically scraped together the sum to pay the rental of the basement (you have to drink it), they took 5 vodkabottles and some chasers and that's it. So the evening is basically done for me workwise, I have nothing to do apart from standing behind the bar and paying attention that none of the brats steals a bottle or tries to pour a beer.

Usually I'm busy. Moving the whole time, my brain not paying attention to the hosts music (apart from really good songs when I occasionally start moving to the groove, I bet I look like a moron pouring beers whilst singing and dancing along to AC/DC). Well tonight my brain isn't occupied. And the music... is cancer inducing.

Going all the way from Rihannas WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK to Nikki Minajs WHERE ARE MY FAT BOOTIE BITCHES FUCK SKINNY BITCHES to other gems I'd rather not try to describe. It's autotuned, rapped gibberish with lyrics a 3 year old wouldn't write because he'd know better, computer effects with synthesizer beats, shallow rhythms and of course compressed to hell and back. It hurts. It's making me angry. I am a person that gets aggressive when exposed to music I hate, the fact I'm not getting any tips tonight isn't helping exactly.

I won't mention that music taste differs. I get it when someone listens to Black Metal, enjoys Free Jazz or Emo/Screamo. Whatever. Your taste, I get it. But this. This so called pop music 90% of nowadays youth seems to enjoy... I'm sorry but you have to be sick in the brain. Have they ever heard a real instrument?

Before I go to deep into my rant... I'm turning 26 in 3 weeks, and tonight I feel old. Watching them youngsters. Going WOOOOOOOOO when a song about fucking bitches, taking drugs and hustling yo comes on.

Maybe I'm slowly turning into an "old fart", maybe I don't get it and I'm the crazy one and they are sane. I don't know.

Before I end the thread and let you guys add your opinions, a video I found a while ago that perfectly explains why pop music nowadays is so awful. It has become an industry:

I hope I survive the night. Peace out.

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

It gets worse.
    Look at the Grammy nominations...

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

I feel your pain, brother. The fact that you are only 26 and see music this way proves that I'm not just an old fuck that fits the stereotype that would normally post what you just posted. :lol:

4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you're 26 and not 46. Agree so completely. Absolutley no redeeming musical value whatsoever. Worst crap known to man.

5. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

And that is a part of why this crap continues. The "artists" get awards for the shit, so naturally, the music becomes even more popular. The crap they put out nowadays is no longer talent oriented, it's all about marketing. You know what, I'm not even going further with this, I get all riled up and pissed off just thinking about it.

DaDoc, GuitarIV, Gunner64 and 2 others like this.
  6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Hi. I'm new here. VIP Member

Music is dead. This is what the value of my $5,000 Gibson Les Paul R9 has been reduced to:

[​IMG]

Yes folks, the times have changed. They are all one-in-the-same now.

For Epiphones:

[​IMG]

Ibanez:

[​IMG]

First Act:

[​IMG]

Esteban:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    lordquilton, Kutt, The Ozzk and 2 others like this.
  7. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

But you ARE an old fart...

8. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Hi. I'm new here. VIP Member

People in glass houses.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  9. 4Horseman

4Horseman Well-Known Member

HaHa! I. FEEL. YOUR . PAIN. Try driving your 13 year old daughter to or from school everyday! On the way to get her, I'm cranking some TOOL. As soon as she gets in the car, click. All of the above you just mentioned. Oh, I give her shit too. Every blue moon a song will have a guitar part and she'll say "hey dad, there's some guitar". lol. The last song I just heard had Eminem rapping (same old melody he has done for 20 years) mixed with some pop singer. I said, that's not even a song! She was surprised I knew it was Eminem, I said , yeah that's the same melody he's been doing for 20 years. Kids are too busy snap chatting, they don't have time for learning an instrument. I've been giving her a little leeway, but I think it's time to tune up her guitar and give her some more lessons. Giving her some space seems to be back firing on me.

10. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

America's lust for money has debased every aspect of society.

That said I can still find new music I like. Rihanna's work song is pretty awful though.... the video ain't all bad otoh.

Trelwheen and GuitarIV like this.
  11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Is that like M n M's? Cause I like those.

GuitarIV likes this.
  12. 4Horseman

:lol::lol: Not even close.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  13. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Micky beat me - Yer an old fart!

I'm 57, grouchy, pissed off driver and general all around sour puss. The god damned world [at least my corner of it is] is just getting stupider by the second.

If the smart phones all died at once the dumb phone users heads would spontaneously explode in a reverse rapture leaving earth for the more intelligent. Oh how I pray.

I have the same reaction to popular new bands / singers when I hear the buzz words edgy, deep, soulful and I hear none of the above. I've said this before - the music industrial complex that died with the coming of the internet served a valuable function - killing off the most of the crap in favor of somewhat real music. The gate keepers are dead.

Russ

14. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

While my personal taste in music would find some of the newer stuff repulsive like the OP, shouldn't people be able to enjoy whatever music they like? When the Beatles came to the US, the older generation thought the kids were nuts and were listening to devil music.

15. 4Horseman

Well, of course. I just think most musicians who have spent time learning an instrument have more respect for music that comes from real instruments, not "drag and drop loops" from GarageBand. Hey, if it makes people happy, it's cool. I'm not going to get mad, I let them on my lawn all the time.:)

GuitarIV likes this.
  16. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

Officially! :D

Far Rider likes this.
  17. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Well, shift is over. I'm headed home. I blasted Master of Puppets on 11 after they left the bar and now I feel somewhat better. Still makes it into my top 3 of shittiest evenings I had at the bar. In 5 years.

Absolutely. I don't care what people listen to. It's none of my business and I don't wanna be the smartass telling others what to do.

The problem here is that I play an instrument. I don't know if I'm worthy being called a musician, but ever since the guitar has entered my life, opened up a passion I never knew could exist, I don't hear music the way I used to before that magical moment.

Sometimes I feel like people who don't play an instrument or aren't involved with music on a different level apart from listening to top 40 stuff on the radio don't hear it the same way I do. Which is totally fine. However when being exposed to it (and not being able to shut off my brain like it was the case today) I cannot help myself but to listen. I can always turn off the tv or the radio but at the bar the hosts music is being blasted at ridiculous volume and my brain starts to analyze. I hear every synthetic bassline, every autotuned pitch shifted voice (thunder by imagine dragons is making me go berzerk!), every word of somebody rapping using cusswords over a so called "beat" that repeats for 3 minutes (candy shop, anyone?). I can't help it. Sometimes it's a curse hearing every nuance. The instrument has developed the ear.

At the same time whenever there's a song on the radio that's longer than 3 minutes, that I actually enjoy, it's cut! The pain it causes me when I hear November Rain, Paradise City, Stairway to Heaven, Smoke on the Water and the solos are missing! The bastards cut it so it doesn't take much longer than 3 minutes airplay! Because our attention spans have shortened. People get bombarded every day with thousands and thousands of bits of information at the same time. Yay Facebook! (quit that 5 years ago). Because who could be bothered to listen to a piece of music that lasts 6, 7, 8, even 10 minutes?

I'm sorry. I'm just really bitter. Sometimes I wish I could travel back in time and live through those good old days I only know from tapes and Youtube, being in the front row at a concert by one of the greats...

18. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

It's like having drinks at your favorite bar, walking down the street to the 'other' bar, and all your drinking friends from the first place, are there too.

19. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm 64.

When I was in a club cover band we did some songs by Sublime and Weezer.

It's a long way from Led Zep and Bad Co.

I hated it.......but we were paid.

Yeah, I'm an ol' fart.:rolleyes:

20. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

The internet is to blame for all of it.

It started even before Napster with average folks having the ability to copy and replicate CDs. Then came online file sharing which put mega record stores all out of business.

Then pop culture championed pop and hip hop where noise.....errr music is made on drum and rythem machines and no talent.

Kids today are spending all their free time staring into their phones and pimping themselves on social media, they have no interest in guitar.

I would argue without computers, smart phones, and the internet rock and roll would still be alive and well.