What the hell Gibson :'D

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GuitarIV, Dec 14, 2019.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Now youre talking crazy...

stringtree and tce63 like this.
  2. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

No way that left Gibson like that, and the retailer should be shot if they let it out that way too. Sure, Gibson has had some quality problems, never seen anything like that!

3. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

What everyone else says and something smells more than fishy here...not right, probably not a Gibson. Maybe some one stole it out of the dumpster at the Gibson Factory and is passing it off trying to make a few bucks? I have never seen something like this from Gibson!

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing its a Gibson, its gotta be Chinese.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    stringtree and tce63 like this.
  6. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Idk... I mean, there's plenty of China guitars for $100 - 200 with no such bs

Otoh, there've been Gibson horror stories like wrong length necks for the last 50 years

MonstersOfTheMidway and tce63 like this.
  7. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I Guess we don't get anymore pics or responses..what a tease...:)

4Horseman and tce63 like this.
  8. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Not being a tease guys, just quite busy with work, been doing 12 hours shifts.

Still waiting for more pics to be sent to me I can post. Guitar has been ordered from Thomann what I've been told which is really weird because usually they are quite competent and I have never had any problems with them...

9. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

That's inexcusable .

10. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

I have, as have two Luthiers in the area I live in.

11. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Because while you MIGHT be ok you might not and to me that risk isn’t worth taking. For me guitars are unique from one example to the next and I prefer long tenon Gibsons. I have 2 Historics that are my main instruments—those are $5k+ guitars. In a perfect world I want to sit down at my home, with my own gear and compare multiple instruments over a few days. With a dealer like Wildwood I have a guy who knows what I like and has access to lots of stock.

I would agree that Gibson has not had the best track record with quality control. For this reason I would only purchase one from a dealer I trust and only after I tried the instrument out myself.

Great you have had good luck with Kiesel—I owned a few Carvin guitars and while they were decent instruments they weren’t for me. Everybody is different

marshalltsl and tce63 like this.
  12. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Well guys unfortunately there's only one more picture that he has from before he sent it back:

IMG-20191216-WA0005.jpg

Apparently he really liked the feel and the sound so he ordered a replacement to be sent.

Hopefully the second time around it'll be better. I'll update you once he has the other axe.

13. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

It's not the OP's fault they sent him a piece of shit. It would be one thing if he ordered it and they sent him something and decided he really didnt want a Les Paul after all. That's not the case here. For 25 hun anyone should expect a reasonably half-decent, albeit assembly line build guitar, that at the very very most MIGHT need a set up. You shouldn't have to play one, we all know what to expect and what a Les Paul is supposed to feel look and play like, they've been building the things for 70 years. This is a whole other story. It's trash and they're trying to scam him.

14. stephan_l

stephan_l New Member

2019 Explorer, brand new. "Private Joker" needed room for the pickup cable.....Gibson said, yes, no chance QC can sort this out.

[​IMG]

2017 Explorer. You can do it this way, but perfection ist different. I have no idea how this can come out of the plec machine and pass QC. And Gibson also had no clue.

[​IMG]

tce63 and Kutt like this.
  15. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Used to play with a guitarist (LEFTY) He was a really good player could get an amazing tone out of less than amazing Strats. Too bad all he could ever find were MIM or MIJ Strats. The MIJ seemed to be better sounding also had an EPI that was a total POS.

16. Im247frogs

I actually bought a 2017 Explorer based on the neck shape (awesome) and the rear pickup (also pretty awesome). Since the one I played at the GC 3 blocks from my house had parts falling off it and was beat to shit, I ordered one from a shop in Boston off of eBay.
    The fit and finish was weak. It was actually fretting out around the 15th fret and higher, and those necks have a 12" radius and the action was reasonable. I took it to a local luthiers shop to have them see what they could do. When I got it back, it no longer fretted out above the 15th fret, but I then realized it was now fretting out at the fifth fret. I took it back to the shop, they claimed to be unable to do anything about it, I went home, adjusted the truss rod, adjusted the action, set the intonation and it finally was playable. Really great. Me, a total non-luthier does a better job than a shop where they do nothing but work on guitars all day.

I only paid like 800 bucks for it and when I complained to the seller they gave me 50 bucks to go have a set up done. I didnt raise a stink when said shop didn't know how to do a set up, which I actually paid for, I'll just never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

After all that, the thing played and sounded killer. This was my one and only experience with a brand new guitar, and a new Gibson at that. They just come off an assembly line and aren't really gone over. I guess in general unless you pay for a Custom Shop guitar, you are on your own in regards to the playabilty of whatever you bought (from Gibson, at least)

17. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

What model explorer was that?

tce63 likes this.
  18. Im247frogs

Model Ph (for Phuct)
    Jk
    It was their basic Explorer in Cherry. I think they retailed for 1200, the one I bought was in 2018 so I got a prior year model price on it.

19. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Cherry explorers are sweet. Sweetwater setup my explorer and did a excellent job, I was presently surprised how easy it is to play.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

If I buy sight unseen, I only buy from Sweetwater now. The Schecter V-1 I bought from them came already set up and in perfect order and i checked everything. The Nut the Bridge the pickup toggle the unput jack the action and played every note for a sign of a dead fret. It's the most perfect guitar I've received . Maybe that's more a testament to Schecter but either way I do think you have a better chance of getting a flawless guitar from Sweetwater than the other online retailer. To this day the only thing I've done to my Schecter is change strings every other guitar I've bought I had to make some adjustments.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.