What Speakers does Michael Schenker use ?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Richman1, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Richman1

Richman1 New Member

Does anybody know ? The guy has a JCM 800 2205, and a killer tone. I'm thinking Vintage 30's or Greenbacks...:jam:

2. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Hope someone comes back with the answer to this because I want to know too. I've looked for info on this but couldnt find any.They sound like Greenbacks to me also.

3. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

I saw from the 2001 DVD with UFO and Uli Roth (u can find it on youtube) that he uses regular 1960 Lead cabs.

but probably he used everything in the years, both studio and recording...

.. and in that dvd he gets bashed by Uli! Uli is crazy ... but when he's (in)sane and he plays it's pure poetry :hippie:

And I love his guitar, Gary Kramer makes affordable knock-offs of his (but without the pickup underneath teh fretboard, but probably a custom-shop order may do it)

Ok enough off-topic blabbering

4. Richman1

Richman1 New Member

they are 1960 cabs but you cant see the badges... They may say vintage or classic.

5. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

oh yes, and.. you can't see the speakers inside too lol

But regarding the sound, he uses a classic Marshall distortion on that DVD.

Notice how Uli sounds different, but that is more due to its guitar and his very particulat technique. I play the violin too, this is what gives that strange melodious feeling to the notes

6. Dave666

Dave666 Well-Known Member

Even if you can read the badges, that doesn't mean that there are that kind of speakers in the cab, they can easily replace them....

TyrackT71 likes this.
  7. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

So true :(
    They can even have 2 speakers of one kind and 2 of another, who knows?

8. Australian

Its surprising that no one has the info Shenkers speakers. They do have a grittiness to them, so maybe G12H G12M?

9. sroberts5150

sroberts5150 Member

I helped Michael's crew load equp. in Sac, Ca for Hard RockCafe, MSG gig a couple years ago. He had Brand new 4 by 12 B cabs, still in box, so just G-12-75's..............at least for that tour. I don't think he's too particular, pretty simple as far as gear. 3 Boss stomp boxes, wah pedal, that's about it!! Oh yeah, and a LOT of talent!! and a tuner........

79 2203, netlocal, ibmorjamn and 2 others like this.
  10. okgb

okgb Member

If the ulrich video was that donnington castle one , schenker looks drunk
    [ and sounds like it ] but I'd love to see the G3's with them .
    also on the donnington one you can see a vox amp by uli's marshall which he has said he uses the same 100w he has had from the 70's .
    maybe schenker plays with whatever backline there is for some gigs , because I've seen what looks to be 900's or 2,000's [ tsl or dsl ? ]
    on some clips , and yeah , haven't heard him mention speakers , wonder if he
    knows marshall's come with different speakers ? ! ha

11. DocHolidayKK

DocHolidayKK New Member

Depending on the era you love. He has used many differnt setups over the years.
    My favorite is the Obsession Era with UFO.

1960 cabs with Blackbacks for sure!
    Likely a 1987model Marshall (as he typically leaned that way)
    But I honestly have to wonder if he didn't have a 2204 MKII with MV with black backs on that album.

Sounds exactly like what we used during that period.

fifteenohms likes this.
  12. Leonc69

Leonc69 New Member

Saw Schenker at the Backstage here in Tacoma a few months back. Was sitting up front so I got to see everything well. He has his admitted favorite head, JCM900 50 watt two channel, but the cabs were the white anniversary.He used a single stack but it sounded from the stage like it was on 10. From articles I have read he is not particular about his gear. I'm not sure if he knows that his pickups are ceramic not alnico.
    (or if he cares.). He relies on his endless amount of talent which was in full force that night.
    I played a gig at a club in Seattle the weekend after he played there. This was years ago, before Robin McAuley, he is playing as well now as he did back then. Not old enough to have seen UFO,wish I could have. Bet he sounded great.

13. nedcronin

nedcronin New Member

This is from an interview in Vintage guitar .....

What amps and effects do you take on the road?
    I use two JCM 50-watt Marshall two-channel amps and the Marshall cabinets with Celestion greenbacks. My only effects are a Dunlop Dimebag wah and a Boss delay and chorus. The other pedals are just volume controls, a Marshall footswitch, and a Boss tuner.

You’ve used many Flying V’s over the years, and now use the Dean Michael Schenker V. How do they compare to your old Gibsons?
    The Deans are much stronger and more solidly built than my old Gibsons, and they “sing” extremely well. I think the pickups are DiMarzios – I’m not much of a technician, so I can’t really give you a whole description of the electronics. I tend to do things by ear and feel only. I don’t even know all the different names for scales, but I can spot a great sound immediately.

Your classic UFO rig in the ’70s was a 50-watt Marshall and a wah. Tell us about that setup and what it did for your signature tone.
    It was one of those nice, older plexi Marshalls, but you needed to know what you wanted, sound-wise, in order to get a good tone. With the wah pedal, I used to just sweep through the range and stop when I found the sound I like. Then I just left it in that position – the “sweet spot.” It was sometimes a Vox or occasionally an old Dunlop. I just plugged the Flying V straight in to the wah and into the amp, which was probably set with everything on 10.

BAinFL likes this.
  14. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Well-Known Member

Michael's tone has more to do with him and his set up than it does the speakers in his cabinets. He's used the same basic set up since his days with UFO. I know he uses 50 watt heads and they seem to have a nice warm tone...

Schenker's RigMichael Schenker Guitar Rig Gear and Equipment

15. celestion101

celestion101 New Member

Actually he's using T75's. He's tried the others and prefers them.

16. Reckless_Life

Reckless_Life Well-Known Member

This was taken a month ago when I went to see MSG live.
    He used the basketweave cabs and a split channel JCM800.
    The other guitar player, Wayne Findlay, used Marshall 1960 cabs with a JCM2000.

[​IMG]
    (and yes, that is M. Schenker himself...)

17. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Anyone know which version of the JCM800 2205 he uses? Is it the first early version preamp or the later version preamp?

18. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

Arround 86 and 87 so second version. Orten you here he uses the first one. But no.

Plexi

19. Australian

Amazing! Still, no one knows what speakers he uses.

20. bassinvader

bassinvader Member

dude was that a a british biker rally called rock n blues?? if so i was there.......even better a year later i took boxes of these vidoes to uli jon roths house....i met jack bruce and frank mariono there...he lived in wales then but he either lives in birmingham uk or shropshire uk as he keeps turning up at pub venues in birmingham and playing with bands!!:headbanger: