What speaker are you currently using in your JVM215C?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Jay76, Jan 14, 2020 at 9:53 AM.

1. Jay76

Jay76 Active Member

I picked one up a used one quite cheap.

I have the following speakers to try in there;

1. V-Type
    2. WGS ET-90
    3. Harma Ruby Classic

Wondering what others have settled for?

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

whats the stock speaker it came with? I've only played JVMs with G12T75 2x12 and 4x12 cabs and it sounds fantastic. :yesway:

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  3. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a JVM205C that came with G12 Vintage and Heritage speakers, and I never felt a need to swap them out, as I'm very happy with the tone.

MonstersOfTheMidway and tce63 like this.
  4. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

I have converted all my Cabs (2x12 and 4x12) from the dreadful sounding G12T75's to Vintage 30s. Sounds much better with the JVM in my opinion!......

tce63 likes this.
  5. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

Those are the stock speakers, right? I 've heard that combination sounds good!

(G12 Vintage = Vintage 30 for those who don't know!...)

tce63 likes this.
  6. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

JVM215C comes with the 8 Ohm G12B-150 as standard. Only available in the JVM215C and 1912 cab.

7. stephs

stephs New Member

I like the G12B stock speaker in my 215c, in combination with Telecasters

Jay76 likes this.
  8. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

Over the years I've had the stock G12B-150, Classic Lead 80, Lynchback, Marshall-labeled "Heritage", Chinese-made Vintage 30 and UK-made Marshall-labeled "Vintage". I stuck with the "Vintage" but only slightly prefer it over the Chinese V30, and with this amp I like them both a lot better than any of the other ones.

Jay76 likes this.
  9. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, they are the stock speakers.

10. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

What about a G12H-150 watt celestial redback or G12K-100?
    If you have the 3 in your first post available try them too.

Scumback speakers have higher wattage versions of their Celestion based offerings. http://www.scumbackspeakers.com

Jay76 and Scumback Speakers like this.
  11. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

I have been using the stock G12B for almost a year now, but have been thinking about swapping in the near future. I wouldn't mind some more high end content and crunch in my tone, so I am considering both Creambacks and a G12H Redback since I have owned all of them in the past and am familiar with them. I had a Redback in a DSL40CR for a while and loved it. I won't change anything until I am absolutely sure, the G12B really sounds pretty good to me.

Jay76 likes this.
  12. Jay76

Jay76 Active Member

Cool, I should have given the stock G12B a chance to bed in really, but I ended up swapping it out 20 mins after trying the combo out lol. I can't help myself.
    I put the V-Type in there (also not bed in yet) and I prefer the tones both clean and dirty of the V-Type so will keep it in there for the minute. I may swap it out with the ET90 one weekend when I am bored but right now I am liking the V-Type for sure. No complaints, it totally delivers.
    It's funny, when I first tried to dial in some decent tones I was like 'why does it sound so bright and fizzy' only to then look at the settings on my 205H and remember that I like T,M,B controls all between 3-4 and never above 4 on either channel. As soon as I made those adjustments I quickly dialed in some nice thick tones. Really like the versitility and huge range available with these amps.
    I managed to get it 'as new' apparently never been out of the box for £375 so I couldn't pass up the deal as I love my 205H but never take it to gigs as its just too big and heavy with the half stack.

13. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP:
    Hello.
    I'd try the V-Type first and then the WGS ET-90 second (the Harma Ruby Classic I've not tried in any JVM). The V-Type will kinda remind you of the G12B and perhaps the G12T-75 in regards to low end response and overall sound. WGS ET-90 is a great speaker that has more of a greenback flavor (good low, mid, and high end projection) yet stays tighter in the low end when compared to traditional greenback speakers.

In the JVM215C I played, the G12B sounds pretty good for many styles. G12B is to my ears very similar to G12T-75 in regards to the tight, low-end response when using the high gain channel/modes of the JVM215C. If anyone is planning on switching out the G12B for a G12T-75, the results will probably be similar so you might as well keep the G12B, imo.

For more of a "traditional" greenback experience, I switched out the G12B for a Celestion Creamback in the JVM215C and was very pleased with the results. The low end was a little looser using the Creamback when compared to G12B or G12T-75, but not so loose that if sounded flubby/farty. Very much recommend Creamback in any JVM2 or JVM4 amp.

Jay76 likes this.
  14. SkyMonkey

I like the V-Type, but not much room for error in a 50W combo!
    Do you run it alone or with an extension cab?

Jay76 likes this.
  15. Jay76

Jay76 Active Member

Some great info there - thanks. You have got me wantingto try the ET90 now. I have never had a Creamback, will keep an eye out for a used one.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  16. Jay76

Jay76 Active Member

No just the combo, I find it a real hassle lugging gear about. My pedal board, combo and guitar is all I can handle.

17. SkyMonkey

Jay76 likes this.
  18. i3oosted

i3oosted New Member

How did that classic lead 80 work out? Havent tried one yet but in all the speaker shootouts its in the top 2 for me. Currently have a 2x12 MIE greenbacks. Have tried 70/80s, v-type(love this speaker), v30, ET-65, and a Retro 30.

19. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

Really good, actually, I just like the V30 better on the OD channel and the CL80 is perfect in my JMD combo. I do prefer the CL80 on the Crunch channel but I spend more time on the OD side. I'm definitely a CL80 fan, it's like a G12T-75 with smoother highs and warmer mids. Needs to be played kinda loud to sound best though, it's pretty clean sounding so it doesn't have much personality at low volume. Handles gobs of gain with ease, never heard that thing get mushy or flubby.

20. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

I have some V type speakers. Their excellent! I cannot believe their not more popular. Great cleans and good thick, tight, crunchy overdrive tones. Their light and cheap too! Got 4 from Sweetwater new for like $320.00 delivered. Again, cannot believe their not more popular.

SkyMonkey, Jay76 and tce63 like this.