What Pickups work best in an Ibanez Iceman?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by aikiguy, Dec 29, 2012.

1. aikiguy

aikiguy Active Member

That is a cool link.... I never knew he played Hamer either.... I have a Hamer special.... Lol...

2. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

So do I..!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I got this promo pic at the NAMM show back when Paul started endorsing Washburn. The store I worked at carried Washburns, so I'd already seen the guitars. They had one of the cracked mirror guitars at the show. They are nice and all, but I'd take the neck-thru Iceman over the Washburn.

I remember a video of "I Was Made for Loving You", which was the first time I ever saw the Iceman. Either my memory is way screwed up or that video doesn't exist on YouTube, but I remember him playing a plain black guitar and the one in all the videos doesn't look at all like the original model that I remember him playing at the time.

[​IMG]

BTW, I think the Dimarzio Super Distortion is an excellent choice!

4. aikiguy

aikiguy Active Member

@custom53... Your HGamer is nicer than mine. I have no pics but mine is just cream coloured. I have a Les Paul Standard Double Cut that looks very similar to your Hamer though, only in blonde. I do like the green though.....

@RiverRat.... I like the look of the cracked glass Iceman too, but I haven't really seen any for sale. Not that I actually want to spend the money. I notice quite a difference in the cost between Korean built and Japanese built Iceman guitars. I have some research to do.....

5. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

I've always liked the Iceman, and tried a few before I finally bought one at a guitar show in the 90's.
    There's a whole history behind them. Im not an Ibanez expert, but from what I've read here & there, of the first run of them in the 70's, the lower-line ones had an intonation problem due to the staggered placement of the tuners.
    (and Asian copies were even worse). But the higher-level ones & the Paul Stanley models were much better, ...but very expensive and didnt sell very well.
    Then the second run Icemen of the 80's had the 6-inline tuner neck that was used on the Ibanez destroyer, to cure the intonation issue.
    Then the 3rd run 90's Icemen, went back to the staggered 3+3 neck? I suppose 15+ years of manufacturing tech improvements made them sound much better. I have one that's a 90's issue.
    I see that the new ones out today have gone back to the 6-inline again..go figure? but I think each production run had a neck-through model...and if you find one of those for a decent price, go for it.

As for pickups, yeah the stock ones werent so great, with the exception of some came with the Super 70 & Super 80 pickups. Those frequently turn up on eBay. I put a Super 70 in an old Sekova Jag/stang knockoff, ...really woke it up. And I have a 70's "flying finger" Super-80 in the bridge of an '82 Artist, replacing the stock Super 58 and it made a nice difference. My 90's Iceman has the stock AH pickups and Im not crazy about them. When I get around to it, I'll probably go with either a pair of used Super 70s', or Dimazio Super Dist I & II, or possibly, Duncan Distortion & Jazz maybe.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

Oh, I should mention...

Ibanez is going to release a new Iceman that's going to be closer to the original. Imagine the new Ibanez ICT700 body with the original Iceman's neck and headstock.

7. aikiguy

aikiguy Active Member

BAH!!! I waited too long and missed out on the one I was interested in. I ended up getting the gig so I'll have to get looking agin.....

8. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

I know this is an old post (I stumbled back upon it whilst researching Ibanez pickups). But I’m curious to know how this whole Kiss tribute band and a search for a decent Iceman played-out.

The current-model ones as of 2015 (4th or 5th gen depending if you count those oddball small-size ones?) are pretty good IMHO. Original size & shape, lighter weight but more solid, most have set-in necks, hotter pickups, etc. There are some variations too, like with the 80s in-line neck but reversed, Floyd rose whammys, low-fast action, etc.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

10. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Well-Known Member VIP Member

DiMarzio Super Distortions. It could only be!

11. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

reunion
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM6bhfPJRKQ[/ame]
    And back in the day , back then it was Dimarzio or stock :
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCIKRcTrYA[/ame]

12. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

It's worth pointing out that this thread is 2 years old and that I don't even think the guy browses here anymore.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  14. jack daniels

Thanks HHTJH, as you see I never pay attention to the thread dates (but I'm going to start).

15. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I'm glad you mentioned Wagner because I forgot their name :cool:

It doesn't matter to me and I did notice it toward the top. I post on old threads sometimes if they are relevant.

16. jack daniels

I wonder why Jim Wagner changed his business name from WCR pickups to JWP pickups?

17. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Paul used Super II's
    Late 70's Hondo solid bodies had these slug pole DiMarzios that were basically Super II's . Now n then they pop up real cheap

[​IMG]

18. Blazen

Blazen New Member

Definitely DiMarzio X2N is a beast

19. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Good thread! I've got a 96 iceman myself and I really agree with what people are saying, this guitar sounds thin and has no balls. I really don't understand why though, it seems like a body that big would sound huge but it doesn't. I have a set of EMG's in mine and still doesn't sound heavy, it's mind boggling but next to my Jackson dinky with the same pickups the iceman sounds like a stock dollar store guitar and I just cannot understand why.