What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by tallcoolone, Sep 28, 2019.

1. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Savage Drive

E49482F6-27C1-4358-ACEB-72F5DAEC6B36.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Marshall4Metal and Sustainium like this.
  2. drolaw

drolaw Member

I have this OD but can't use it because I pick up some radio stations. No idea why that happens with only this pedal. No matter the setup. Weird.

3. rafalynch

rafalynch Active Member

20191113_060310.jpg Drolaw,
    Eliminating the problem of radio station is very simple, you have to put a 0.01 uf capacitor of the ground connector of the input jack to the chassis. It is best to make a hole in the chassis and put a screw with a connector to solder the capacitor. Your Marshall will not ring the radio again. Excuse my English.

Mitchell Pearrow and drolaw like this.
  4. rafalynch

rafalynch Active Member

You must be welded to the grounding pin (black wire) of the high input jack closest to the chassis in the Marshall's before 1983. If it is after that year you have to locate the jack's ground pin on the board input

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    drolaw likes this.
  5. drolaw

drolaw Member

Thanks for the tip - definitely will try that.

rafalynch likes this.
  6. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

Two OD pedals, a Greer Lightspeed for transparent low-mid overdrive and a J-Rockett Dude for higher gain.

wntbtw likes this.
  7. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member

Does the cap trick work for SS too? Every time I fire up the 75 Reverb, I'm on a Mexican (whoa-oh) radio...

8. rafalynch

rafalynch Active Member

In the Marshall after 1983 with the jack and potentiometers welded to the plate it is more difficult to access the pin of the ground, you have to disassemble the entire front of potentiometers to remove the plate since the welds are at the bottom. But you can try a provisional wire without disassembling the plate, with a crocodile clamp and the capacitor, connecting the jack input pin to the chassis. And then decide whether to disassemble everything or weld to the outer pin. excuse my English

Attached Files:

Thevenin likes this.
  9. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I find with 2525c, and 2555x, there is no need for distortion pedals , and I use them as a 2 channel amp , sometimes I'll use a sonus wah

10. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

I use a few different drives with my Metro/JTM45 repro.

89 Marshall.. The Guv'nor. Sounds a lot like my amp, but allows me to dial in a lot more gain, at a lower volume, and not lose the basic tonal character of my amp. If you ever get one, make sure you use a power supply as the battery access is the worst ever made.

Roger Mayer 4644 Drive.

Very clean, and clear Low/Medium Gain Drive. Has the best volume sweep of any pedal Ive used. Very very gradual sweep.

Works extremely well as a master volume controller. Keeps every harmonic even at reduced volumes. Very Ultra Wide Band frequency response..10hz-100kHz and keeps the low end tight, and harmonics preserved. No Mud. Tone control is more like an EQ vs Bass/Treble Cut/Add.
    The Tone control shifts the harmonics vs Cutting, or adding Bass, or Treble. Its not as dramatic as a normal Tone control. Very subtle like a Chase Tone Secret Preamp. Only a bit more. Is the least intrusive pedal Ive probably used.

Makes my 1458 chip Timmy sound like it has a blanket on it, ( and I like the Timmy-Had it since 2011-I mainly use it to drive a Big Muff, and 2004 Analogman Sunface/Sundial white dot NKT275 Sunface/Sundial... ) 4644 also will work with any amplifier, or pickup combination. Timmy is way more finicky..... IMHO theres no pedal around that is any better than this one for preserving the exact sound of your signal chain at unity gain, and then allows you to use whatever Gain-Volume, and Tone setting you want.
    Has 2 Buffered Outs, and 1 Hardwired Bypass.

2004 Analogman Sunface/Sundial white dot-low/medium gain. Turn the Fuzz down, and volume up.

Timmy 1458 chip

Barber Gain Changer.. Really nice pedal. Has its own thing going on, and is a first rate drive pedal, especially for the money.

Butler 5 knob Tube Driver.. All kinds of stuff going on with this pedal. IMHO does not do best at bedroom volumes. Huge EQ capabilities, and will do everything from slight drive, to big muff territory.

Pete Cornish 3Q1/Boost.. I use it as an extension of the Metro Preamp to add in more tonal variation. Often stack it with the 4644, and Guv'nor

MOOG Minifooger Drive.

Love this drive. Is very finicky, hard to dial in, but after you learn how to use it, is a killer drive pedal. It is a Low Pass Filter, with 3db-57db Drive.

I can get some killer Clean Fender Tweed type tones from this pedal, and the Cocked Wah is also really good. Can also get into Big Muff territory. 57db Drive. If you got your amp cranked, and have the low end of this pedal dialed in with heavy drive, you better have some good speaker(s) or it will fart them out.

Mayer Visage Fuzz. Does great clean boost-heavy fuzz. 45 EQ possibilities.

Can also get some really good Wah sounds with an EXP pedal... Big under the radar pedal, but hard to find.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    bullhead, Neil Skene and wntbtw like this.