What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by tallcoolone, Sep 28, 2019.

1. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Don't use distortion/overdrive/dirt pedals with my current amp, but when I did these were some of my favorites:

*Empress Heavy: bad-ass pedal with great tone shaping controls!
    *T-Rex MudHoney2: Simple yet effective; produced distinct overdrive that served me well.
    *Ibanez TS-9: the classic.
    *Boss SD-1: wonderfully throaty tone characteristic right out of the box.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and tallcoolone like this.
  2. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Hey to each their own. I find preconceptions like that to be limiting. I love trying new things and sharing the results on forums like this. For the most part I get unanimous praise for my tone and how I sit in the mix both here and IRL so something is working right!

3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I have my amp set to edge of breakup as my core tone and use various pedals to get low, medium and high gain. I use a Boss GE7 EQ to push it into low gain. For medium gain I use a RAT distortion set on the low side. If I want to go heavy I have an MXR ZW OD I kick in on top of the GE7 to get a thick high gain. :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow and tallcoolone like this.
  4. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

I use a Bad Monkey, OCD or SD-1 in front of my DSL40C to give it a little extra push sometimes.
    Also I sometimes use an MXR Super Comp to thicken things up a bit and give a little extra grit.
    MXR 10 band equalizer in the loop for lead boosts.
    I also have a DS-1 and a Jackhammer but don't use them with the Marshall.

Mitchell Pearrow and jmp45 like this.
  5. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

Been playing with the sd1 but have found I like how the boss 7 band works in the loop of my 4100

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Everyone should have a Bad Monkey, the eq works well with any amp. Now, I use an OCD, Archer IKON or TubeDriver w/bias. Distorties I use either a V-Twin or BE-OD.

[​IMG]

Sustainium and mirrorman like this.
  7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I have a Bad Monkey I dont use all that much any more it was good at the time when I needed it, everybody always said it was a TS9 clone, I finally got a TS9 to compare side by side and I was like no way the TS9 is way better!

8. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Boss SD-1 in front of my 1982 JCM 800 2203. I have to yet hear and play an OD pedal that feels and sounds better for the type of music I play. Super cheap too. They got it right from the start with this one!

9. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

10. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

I'm using my trusted old 1987 boss SD1...
    ... and funny story..I had completely forgotten that it had a mod.... mid nineties I did a lot of thing's to it, but I thought I'd returned it to stock...I friend pointed out how good it sounded. I told him it was stock and he said no way... it is much clearer and puncher with a lively sparkle.. he said. so after arguing about it we opended it up... and there it was..a simple mod that makes a world of difference.... and NOW I remember.... it's really simple...I wanted the noise floor to drop, so I had replaced the diodes with green LEDs to triple signal to noise ratio, then changed a resistor to get it back to stock output level... thereby dropping the noise floor... if you have one of these and want to tinker, it's a 2$ 15 minute job if you do it yourself ... and after comparing to one that IS stock, Well worth it..
    J
    EDIT; I just learned that the new ones use a tiny surface mount component pcb that is a pain to work on. So if you plan on modding, track down an older one

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  11. SRD

SRD Active Member

Ibanez BB9
    Fatter/Thicker tube screamer basically

[​IMG]

12. grainman

grainman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] try this germanium based big muff pie ...with 2 gain stage ..made by joe doc music "JDM" ..a must have if you want overdrive with lots of attitude and if you like the tube screamer youll be in your territory but this kicks ass way more if wanted..but in front of a marshall super lead its perfect at ¨green¨ setting which is less gain and germanium transistor based..sound a bit like a ff...if you want clapton cream solo tones at ¨mean¨youll be there ..its more big muff style gain with more mids .. think nirvana , or ¨fell on black days ¨guitar tone

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    tallcoolone likes this.
  13. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

During the early 80s, I was using a early/mid 70s 50 watt NMV metal face Marshall. I used an Ibanez Tube Screamer. A couple years later, I switched to an early JCM 800, no box, just plugged straight in. Same with a 900 some years later.

I have clones now, no dirt boxes with those either, although a treble boost can be fun.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Just order my first pedal ever, MT-2 Metal Zone.

15. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Okya, did 3 gigs in a week with the OCD into the SV20H and EVH cab...and it sounds F.....G GREAT !!!! Deal done, I'm sold, never was happier with how my rig sounds in the PA.
    It pushes the amp in the right way, getting it from mild crunch to full-on distortion, with largely enough gain to do legato/tapping/sweeping/pinch harmonics shenanigans (you still need some volume of course, but gotta compete with the drummer anyway). Sounds big, chewy, raunchy, just perfect.
    Interestingly, it didn't sound quite as good in front of the DSL set in a similar way, but into the SV...damn does it sound good !
    Between this and the OD9, I have the perfect range of gain levels from pretty clean (using single coils) to mid-80s hard rock/metal and everything in-between.
    Even my drummer commented on how good the rig sounded, which kinda says a lot ;)
    Now I get why lots of people recommended it, again, super happy with it !

16. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

2 stacked 2004 Analogman White Dot NKT275 Sunface/Sundial
    Roger Mayer 4644 Drive
    5 knob Butler Tube Driver
    89 Marshall The Guv'nor
    Mayer Concorde+ Treble Booster
    1458 Timmy
    Castledine Colorsound
    Mayer Voodoo Blues

I don't run them all though. 4 at most

Main amp is LTD ED Metro GMP45 head x 4 Pulsonic G12M

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:cheers:
    :welcome: To the forum.
    Let us know how it works out for you!
    Cheers Mitch

18. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I'll have to try the OCD. I have one but have been using the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe as my main overdrive pedal with my SV20H. I like it a lot. My 'secondary' od pedal is the the Xotic EP Booster. I may try the OCD instead of it as I get lots of crunch from the SV20 naturally.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  19. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

I've been using a Naga Viper treble booster on half the time into an Orange or Marshall. Great Priest or Iommi tones. Next to it is usually a Maxon 808. I will also swap out for an OCD, Fulltone 2, SD-1 or a Soulfood. The OCD provides the biggest boost and most transparent tone. No pedals on and rolling down the volume gets me a pretty decent clean tone so I've come to utilize single channel amps. The Naga stays on my board. I have a Mesa Mark V-35 and find myself not using pedals with that rig too much. OD pedals, despite how they are used, tighten up amps in a good way IMO.

20. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Hi @Sustainium, welcome to The Forum. :welcome:

I don't know if you have followed the latest YT vids about the Metal Zone. Basically do not use it in front of the amp. Try it directly into the FX return jack of your amp (bypassing all the pre-amp and EQ sections of the amp). As the MT-2 is designed to be a standalone pre-amp in itself it seems to work best this way. I have tried mine both ways. and in the FX return is definitely the best. Also if you have a looper (or a mate to play a riff for you) you can repeat the riff whilst you are hands-free to dial in the MT-2 EQ (it's tricky - wildly sensitive!).

Enjoy.