What is the point of owning 25+ watt amps?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Minor, Dec 21, 2013.

1. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Definitely a troll thread, but I'm leaving it up since I don't want to delete post count from you guys since it reached 4 pages / managed to actually stay on topic. Makes me think that if I were a troll, I'd probably pick forums / subjects where I actually knew what I was talking about so that I could be more effective (this was the biggest swing & a miss troll thread I can remember seeing here).

2. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

it works pretty well when you're between the amp & 100wt 8" studio monitors.:yesway:
    I also sometimes run the monitor outs of the DAW through the p.a. to hear what the "live" mix level sounds like.:hbang:

Risamaru likes this.
  3. Stringjunkie

Stringjunkie Well-Known Member

Although it is funny whenever there is a difference to the general mass opinion out comes the troll label.

4. Metalway

Metalway Active Member

I got the Marshall VBA 400. Do I really need 400 watts? Probably not. Does it sound amazing? Hell yeah! Case closed.

SteveGangi, Risamaru and blues_n_cues like this.
  5. crossroadsnyc

It has nothing to do with agreeing / disagreeing, and nobody gets booted for disagreeing.

6. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

you haven't seen his other thread eh?
    more-:slash: BS.

Micky likes this.
  7. damienbeale

damienbeale Well-Known Member

The thing that is missing between a 25W amp and a 100W amp has very little to do with the actual WATTAGE, although there are guys that just like it loud.

A quad of EL34's with 500V on the plates simply amplify in a very different way to a pair of 6V6's with 350V or a pair of EL84's with less than 300V on the plates. The 100W amp will always have a tighter bottom end, more definiton and punch, and less ratty grind than the EL84's, or splatty drive than the 6V6's.

And then there's the difference of speaker cone breakup. Some people like this sound. And it's going to be quite difficult to achieve with a 25W amp.

A 25W doesn't give you much available headroom at decent gigging levels, and the punch doesn't come. Fine if you're a solo guitarist, but not the greatest of things in a two guitar lineup.

And yes, a major and a plexi will indeed achieve that grind, but those that are too girly to turn one up all the way will never appreciate that.

Blueslicks and blues_n_cues like this.
  8. Stringjunkie

No, I haven't. I didn't think this started as a troll though. What do I know?

9. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I knew he wouldn't last long.

Why do these idiots insist on coming here and picking a fight?

Because you guys will give them one. Good job!

10. 33KHD

33KHD Well-Known Member

By that rationale, Lincoln and Cadillac need not build any more cars.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Actually, I called it on post #2...

It wasn't anything to do w/ disagreement. I saw the "do my tabwork on a Slash lick" thread & being the 1st post, drew a red flag. Then the way this was drawn up, it was thrown out in a confrontational way & obviously from a non-understanding of how amps work, not searching for answers, but more so an argument.

I have been admin on a few big forums & have learned to spot certain behaviours. This one was obvious...

SteveGangi, Chrisuk, zachman and 4 others like this.
  12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Minor, I understand the point you are trying to make but there are more variables to consider. Yes, I have amps with the capability to - 1. Causes the walls to shake. 2. Causes neighbors to call the cops. 3. Damage my hearing, but I don't use them that way. I carefully chose Marshalls that provide the tone I like and have a master volume feature to provide that tone at a reasonable volume. These types of Marshalls you don't need to crank to ungodly volumes to get that grail tone, with that said I would never own a plexi or any non master volume amp for that reason. As far as cost, yes these are $2000 amps but they can be gotten used for a quarter or half the price. So if the day comes I have an opportunity to play a stadium I will be prepared, but meanwhile I'm having a great time with great tone playing with friends in the basement. Tell us what amps and other gear you are using.

EDIT: Oops I just realized this guy is banned. Seriously I don't think he was trolling, just has bad manners online. Hopefully he's still reading this and will learn from it to behave and come back in 6 months to finish the argument/debate in a civil manner. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  13. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Pede - Elvis has left the building...

blues_n_cues likes this.
  14. crossroadsnyc

We called it the day he arrived. Yes, his 'can you help me figure this out' was a giveaway because he's already done the same thread before (in fact, i was sure of who it was given i had to delete several of the same threads yesterday). He thinks he's being slick by changing IP addresses, but we've been able to catch onto another way to figure out who it is despite different IP addresses (if you remember, there was an incident like this last week w/a 'new' member).

MaxFrames and Dogs of Doom like this.
  15. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

That wasn't even entertaining. Not even a grin.
    Lame ass troll.

MaxFrames and crossroadsnyc like this.
  16. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

You're 18 and own a YJM & 2204? Damn that's ballin'... and you type more coherently than most youngins I've seen on message boards.

Ya know what Redstone, you're alright! :cool:

17. Stringjunkie

Actually, I thought the first post to this thread was accurate and not argumentative. The arguments all came from there on. I don't know the OP or any of his previous work.
    I'm in the minority, and I don't really care about any of this. But people DO take a tribal pounding here when they don't sway to the common opinion, in my opinion..
    Again, what do I know?

18. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I thought things were going somewhere until the OP got argumentative and started name calling very early in the thread. Had potential though...

Chrisuk likes this.
  19. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Cross- was that Grunch?

20. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

No way that was Grunch.