What is the point of owning 25+ watt amps?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Minor, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

If you really care:

Power attenuator (guitar) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this technology has been around (in various forms) since the mid '70s...

2. Risamaru

Risamaru Well-Known Member

More Volume = More Speaker Distortion = Fuc# Yeah!!!

marshallman116 likes this.
  3. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Of course its not going to sound 100% the same, but I'm perfectly fine with 99% of the tone if it means a manageable volume level. That is the reason I bought a YJM over a standard Plexi.

EDIT: It was also cheaper than buying a regular 1959 and an attenuator since I got like €400 off the price.

4. Grenade

Grenade Well-Known Member

My amp has every knob on 10 with a Power Soak to set the volume where I want it. It's 50 watts, sound great dimed and there are times I don't use much attenuation. It vibrates my balls and I like it.

jc109 and marshallman116 like this.
  5. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

they do work, but there is a change in the sound.

this is why smaller amps and PA systems are used, of course. there just aren't that many clubs willing to unleash 100 watts of sound onstage and try and tame it in a PA.

i mean, go ahead and haul around the head and 4X. you ain't gonna use it, though. it might make sound but its not going to get the ox out of the ditch any better than a smaller amp.

i'll drift a bit here, because one can do some nice things with larger cabs and small amps. so, the more-than-is-needed argument isn't the same with cabs.

6. Minor

Minor New Member

Those figures are exaggerated but okay

7. Redstone

Those were more of an an example trying to show that an amp can still sound INCREDIBLE at low volumes. Just because it isn't reaching its full potential, doesn't mean it isn't already amazing sounding. Its still going to sound better than anything that my Crate can produce.

Have a listen to MichaelRTs 200W major with a PPIMV. It sounds incredible at low volumes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XorzrnwQzVw]1968 Marshall Major 200watt Plexi. (Sound Clip) - YouTube[/ame]

8. Minor

Minor New Member

First of all, his playing was fantastic, the amp itself was nothing special. Are you sure you're not mistaking the two? Sounds like a quiet, turned down plexi to me. Nothing to see here

9. Redstone

Thats a good one :rofl::lol::facepalm:

I'd recommend getting your hearing checked. Maybe its you who has suffered some hearing loss :lol::lol::naughty:

10. Minor

Minor New Member

You're kidding yourself.

1. He is using effects, that's why the DeMartini intro sounds almost spot on
    2. His playing is near perfect

11. Redstone

Nope, no effects. Its been modded a bit, not sure how much since all I know of is the PPIMV, but I'm sure there is a bit more. I've taken this from the video description on YouTube:

"Gear Used :
    Ibanez Jem, Ibanez RG and Nuno Washburn.
    '68 Marshall Major 200w Plexi.
    Celestion Greenbacks."

12. Minor

Minor New Member

You're wrong.

He used a 200W Plexi. A 200W Plexi cannot achieve this level of distortion by itself unless your volume is cranked near max, even then you'd likely need a distortion effect unit or mod to achieve that DeMartini tone. Just because he doesn't state the effects he uses doesn't mean he is not using them. Logic and realism are telling me he is using at least one unit.

I have played on a Plexi before. They do not reach this level of distortion by themselves, though granted I am not stupid enough to turn it up to 10 and have my walls shake.

13. Grenade

Dude, a PPIMV is a master volume, the rest of the knobs are probably dimed (10). That amp sounds great. Stop being Negative Nelly, this is what it's about, preamp tubes and power amp tubes being driven to the point of breakup. That's why my amp is dimed.

14. Minor

Minor New Member

Yes, a Plexi can totally reach that level of distortion by just raising the volume. Get real

15. Grenade

Oh I'm totally real. Now, do a little research. My amp will make your ears bleed but I don't run at that volume all the time, it breaks up nicely and the Power Soak cuts the cab volume for smaller venues. Current rig.jpg

16. Minor

Minor New Member

WTF are you talking about? This does not at all prove your side of the debate.

17. bulldozer1984

bulldozer1984 Everybody's Favorite Member VIP Member

because -25w amps are for pussies.

Go hard or go home :rock:

Seriously though, personally, i like a power amp section with headroom for shimmery cleans and hard rock pre amp tones. It also allows you to add clean delay and reverb to your sound. Not muddy shit.

marshallman116 and Ghostman like this.
  18. Chrisuk

Chrisuk New Member

Guys - you are responding to someone who joined yes than a month ago and now has 38 troll posts and no sensible ones.

SteveGangi and marshallman116 like this.
  19. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

300 sounds even better.:naughty:
    and to be honest the sweet spot on most Marshalls I've ever owned was is around 5-7.
    edit- that said,w/ the same rig I can also put on the headcans & noone has to hear me & vice versa.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    SteveGangi likes this.
  20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

I know a guy who gigs in a blues trio with one of the first 15 watt Kendricks. Great overdriven blues tone. He played small clubs 300-500 people, & still had to be miked. As stated before, mic'd he could have been playing a 100,000 people stadium.

But I get what the OP is saying & I get where he's coming from. There's no justification for it, especially if you don't play out & you've got neighbors, or you've got other people in the house.

But who cares? You don't know until you know & the only way you're going to know is to buy a 100 watter & crank it next to your computer & see what's what. Whether you've got a P.O.D. a GT100 an ElevenRack, or even the mighty AxeFx Ultra

& it's not just the pros..... all the cool kids on the forums use real tubes. They've got their JMPs, Plexis, Ubershalls, & Splawns, etc...

All that stuff is "supposed" to sound like the real thing. One way or another they are imitations & the OP is trying to rationalize "settling" for an imitation.

Risamaru likes this.