What is the point of owning 25+ watt amps?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Minor, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Minor

Minor New Member

So a JCM800 user, say Adrian of Iron Maiden, will turn up his Master Volume to 10 on all recordings for the hell of it? Why not on 1? You're delusional, it has a major impact on bringing out the amp's true tone

2. Blueslicks

Blueslicks Well-Known Member

Let me fix that thread title for you.

What is the point of owning 25+ watt amps when you never gig and only play in your house?

Carry on.

ollyclam, marshallman116 and Fuzz2203 like this.
  3. Minor

Minor New Member

Even then it is too loud, a better title I guess would be:

What is the point of owning 25+ watt amps when you don't play in stadiums all the time?

4. jeffro

jeffro New Member

WTF?
    Worst argument ever and to use your own hip lingo..."rubbish"!

marshallman116 likes this.
  5. Minor

Minor New Member

Answer this: why do all famous guitarists crank up their amp to volume 10 when making studio recordings?

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Do they all?

:lol:...

SteveGangi and zachman like this.
  7. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

The answer? Because he was in a studio environment with good soundproofing and facilities to set his amp at whatever volume. If you could set your amp to 10 without it being too loud or annoying anyone, wouldn't you do the same as him.

Even still, a 1W amp is still pretty loud, much louder than I set my YJM. So the point you are kind of defeating you point about sub 25W amps since they are still very loud anyway. You even agreed that a 5 watt amp can cause you to get the cops called on you and cause you to lose hearing.

So if a 5 watt amp is too loud and you can't turn the master down, why not just have a 100w amp or why bother even owning an amp? Just get a Marshall MS-2 and plug in some headphones.

8. LMP2204

LMP2204 Active Member

We also need to remember way back when the first 100 watt tube amps where created and why they where created. BECAUSE THEY ****IN ROCK!! well and the fact P.A systems where shit and places allowed you to run them full tilt so you could drown out that guy saying "turn it down". Never do I ever have a problem going to catch a show of a band I like and go home saying Jeez I really wish those guys would have played quieter. Kinda like going to watch top fuel drag cars drag and saying, hey guys my wife is here and she thinks your going TOO FAST, do you think you could slow it down for her?....

SteveGangi likes this.
  9. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Well-Known Member

They don't.

10. Minor

Minor New Member

Your last sentence is right, all make your walls shake and you may as well buy a 100w... but its expensive for something that doesn't reach its potential. :squint:

Your first sentence is almost right, but to suggest it was only because he "could" is stupid. Volume does have an effect. We're not even talking about Plexi's, of COURSE it has a monumental effect on the distortion even. But a JCM's master volume gets cranked to 10 to drive the amp and give it's true tone. Having said that...

If you disagree, let me show you a good example of hypocrisy amongst these forums:

Disappointed with my JCM1 Purchase - MyLesPaul.com

"It sounds to me like it's not the amp's fault, it's just being forced to try to sound good at an extremely reduced capacity....which never works well with tube amps."

11. Minor

Minor New Member

All the best guitarists who play with distortion (Slash, EVH, Randy etc.) have theirs on 10. I wonder why.

12. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Clean headroom.

And that is only ONE reason...

13. Redstone

I never argued that it doesn't make a difference, it just doesn't make enough of a difference for me or some people to care too much.

After all, I'd take my 2204 or my YJM not reaching its full potential any day over my Crate GX-15 at its best.

14. Adwex

Adwex New Member

I just like the sound of the words "hundred watts". It sounds better than "twenty five watts".

15. Jack92CH

Jack92CH New Member

100 watts have more to offer than 25. That's an easy question to answer.

ollyclam likes this.
  16. Minor

Minor New Member

Oh okay, fair enough then, but what if you wanted to for example record a perfect cover of Eruption and had Eddie's exact effects and amp setup. Would you not be annoyed to not get a good enough sound just because the amp is too damn loud?

17. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

Is Grunch back for more? Pointless but comical thread.

18. Redstone

No. If it was too loud, I'd just use an attenuator or install a PPIMV provided I owned the gear.

19. sidvicious

sidvicious Active Member

guys, why react so harshly to a question? some of the responses seem a bit stretched, if not completely rationalized.

indeed, this is a question that anyone buying an amp should ask. what's the big deal?

i've heard this gonzo stuff for 40 years. and no one, and i mean no one, cranks a 100w amp all the time, most of the time. maybe some of the time.

if you respond and say that you need lots of headroom to get your tone and max the power section to do so and that you play that way sitting around the house, you're lying.

20. Minor

Minor New Member

This attenuator business sounds too good to be true. So you can get a Marshall JCM800's true tone at Volume 10 by plugging in an attenuator and it will magically just come out quieter?